Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How to measure amount of gas left in a 2.5 gallon container? Plus life span of gas w/fuel stabilizer???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
WoodyWW

How to measure amount of gas left in a 2.5 gallon container? Plus life span of gas w/fuel stabilizer???
Original Message   Jan 31, 2011 12:54 pm
I have some gas leftover from last August, that I put fuel stabilizer in. But it's in one of those 2.5 gallon red poly jugs so I don't know the amount. I'd like to use it in my Toro 221Q, but I'd have to pour it into the jug I use for the gas/2 cycle oil mix, & then figure how much of the 2 cycle oil to use (that's in one of those little bottles to put in 1 gal. of gas). I'm thinking, weigh the gas?? I have a very accurate scale.

This is b/c there's another big 2 days of snow coming in the Northeast tomorrow, & I may not get out to buy more fresh gas before. TIA for any advice......

PS--I just held the gas jug up to the light, & realized there are markings on it by the 1/2 gal. Looks like it's slightly less than 3/4 gal. Q.: If I need to do this, & then have to estimate the amount of 2 cycle oil, should I err on the side of too much oil?
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by WoodyWW
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Paul7

Re: How to measure amount of gas left in a 2.5 gallon container? Plus life span of gas w/fuel stabilizer???
Reply #1   Jan 31, 2011 1:08 pm
Figure 6.2 lbs/gal if you weigh it.
borat

Re: How to measure amount of gas left in a 2.5 gallon container? Plus life span of gas w/fuel stabilizer???
Reply #2   Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm
A little too much oil won't hurt anything.  Anything between 32:1 to 40:1 will do just fine. 
borat

Reply #3   Jan 31, 2011 1:26 pm
How do we delete duplicate posts?
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by borat
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #4   Jan 31, 2011 1:30 pm
Why spend money on stabilizer and try to save the gas for winter?  Just pour it in your vehicle ans buy new when winter starts.

aa335

Reply #5   Jan 31, 2011 2:39 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
Why spend money on stabilizer and try to save the gas for winter?  Just pour it in your vehicle ans buy new when winter starts.

Good tip.  I'm trying a new method this winter.  I'm not using any fuel stabilizer.  If I have any gasoline older than 3 weeks, it goes into the wife's car to use up.  I'll get fresh gasoline to replace it.  Simple and cheaper.
FrankMA

Reply #6   Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:

Ditto. Pour what's left in the gas can into your car's gas tank and then fill the gas can with 1 or 2 gallons of fresh gas and 1 or 2 little 2-stroke oil containers to achieve the proper mix. Like others have said however, a little more oil in the mix is not going to harm anything.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
WoodyWW

Reply #7   Feb 1, 2011 3:30 pm
Thanks for all the tips! However, right now, I'm using more gas in my snowblower than my car. I'm going into another major snowstorm in the Northeast today, & worried I'll run out of the 2 cycle oil/gas mix I have left. Why I'm planning to use the 6 mo. old gas for the lawnmower, & mix it w/the 2 cycle oil if need be for the snowblower (pouring it in the 2 cycle oil/gas mix container first of course).

How this came about: 3-4 yrs. ago, after a big blizzard here, I ran out of gas for the snowblower. Which mean't I couldn't get the car out, to go buy gas, for the snowblower.......Spent 2 or  3 days shoveling.....
This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by WoodyWW
aa335

Reply #8   Feb 1, 2011 3:47 pm
WoodyWW wrote:
Thanks for all the tips! However, right now, I'm using more gas in my snowblower than my car. I'm going into another major snowstorm in the Northeast today, & worried I'll run out of the 2 cycle oil/gas mix I have left. Why I'm planning to use the 6 mo. old gas for the lawnmower, & mix it w/the 2 cycle oil if need be for the snowblower (pouring it in the 2 cycle oil/gas mix container first of course).

How this came about: 3-4 yrs. ago, after a big blizzard here, I ran out of gas for the snowblower. Which mean't I couldn't get the car out, to go buy gas, for the snowblower.......Spent 2 or  3 days shoveling.....

We're experiencing a blizzard here.  As always, before any big storms, I always stock up on gasoline for the snowblower.  Even if I don't intend on going anywhere, I always fill all our vehicle tanks full of gas.  Just in case we need to be venturing out, we don't have to needlessly trying to find a gas station.                     

During a snowstorm and you are coming home from work, chances are there will be traffic jams where you are not moving at all, especially in populated area.  It's comforting to have a full tank of gas trying to cross a gridlocked intersection that you've been looking at for the last 30 minutes.
ratdog

Reply #9   Feb 1, 2011 4:39 pm
Woody, Next time you run out of gas, you can always siphon some out of the car for the snowblower. RD
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42