Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 221 QE review

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kellyinkc

Toro 221 QE review
Original Message   Jan 12, 2011 8:31 am
So I FINALLY got to use it the other day. First thing I did was shake the 2 cycle can for a few minutes to make sure it was well mixed. Then I poured it in the tank. I took my glove off and pressed the primer bulb twice covering that little nub. Turned the key to on set the choke and pulled. It started on the third pull. First time starting. Cool!
We received about 7 inches of snow.

That Quick Shoot is just down right cool. I debated whether I wanted it and a glad I splurged. I did not try the electric start.
I have a flat double concrete drive and the Toro had it done in about ten minutes. SO much easier than shoveling plus I am not getting any younger. There is a learning curve but that is part of the fun! IT does throw the snow far, it was powdery. ON the EOD is bogged down a little but did not stall. On shut down it sounds just like a Lawnboy, given the engines heritage.
I am impressed with it and would buy another.
Replies: 32 - 41 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
cTrainer

Re: Toro 221 QE review
Reply #32   Jan 31, 2011 10:49 am
aa335 wrote:
I gave up on finding a good CCR2000 / CCR3000 with the Suzuki engine.  I've heard good things about the Suzuki engine but the price people were asking for them was too high for my taste.  There were rust, dents, scratches.  The machines just look too worn for the price.  I have no desire to restore a Toro single stage.

Went and bought the 421QE and very happy with the purchase, even with the potential fuel leak recall (or is it just a hoax).  The newer model is just better designed with user friendly features.  It is also a higher efficiency auger systems so even if the engine isn't as good as the revered Suzuki, I can live with that.

I think the price you got for a 221QR at $566.00 from a legitimate dealer is decent.  I've heard people gotten it cheaper through Home Despot in Canada with stackable coupons and promotions for less, but those deals aren't available in my area.

There's a lot to like about single stage snowblower.  Some people discover it, some don't.  That's too bad.  Some people expect too much performance from a rubber auger and 5-6 HP machine when compared to a 2 stage machine. 

Bought a Toro 421QE with a 2-year warranty.  The first winter  of 2010 it leaked gasoline all over the driveway.   It was a big snowstorm & I had to use it.  It was serviced and came back working fine, because gas was included in the tank.  I forgot to ask what gas they put in.  Now this winter of 2011, it leaked again, though for both winters, I used Shell Gold, with no ethanol in it.  My snowblower is still in their service department and it's been  weeks now.  They claim to be waiting for parts.

Perhaps I should ask for an extending of warranty.  We are expecting another snowstorm coming up from the Ohio Valley, two days from now.

Carl.
borat

Reply #33   Jan 31, 2011 10:56 am
Just curious but for those who bought the 421Q machines, why would you chose a four stroke over Toro's proven two cycle engine?   I'm familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of both types of engines but when something works as well as the R-tek single stage machines with years upon years of solid performance, what would be the draw to the four stroke machine? 
Paul7

Reply #34   Jan 31, 2011 11:11 am
borat wrote:
Just curious but for those who bought the 421Q machines, why would you chose a four stroke over Toro's proven two cycle engine?   I'm familiar with the advantages/disadvantages of both types of engines but when something works as well as the R-tek single stage machines with years upon years of solid performance, what would be the draw to the four stroke machine? 

I assume for the same reason that I own a 4 stroke mini tiller and weed whacker...eliminates the need to mix gas/oil and store both types of fuel.  Not that it's a major hassle but it is one less thing to deal with.
borat

Reply #35   Jan 31, 2011 11:17 am
Paul7 wrote:
I assume for the same reason that I own a 4 stroke mini tiller and weed whacker...eliminates the need to mix gas/oil and store both types of fuel.  Not that it's a major hassle but it is one less thing to deal with.

True, but mixing two cycle oil into a fuel container is considerably easier than doing an oil change then having to properly dispose of use oil etc. 

I have numerous two cycle engines which use anywhere from 20:1 to 50:1 ratios.  I run a mix between 32:1 to 40:1 in all of them.  So, one can of fuel for everything two stroke.   Easy as pie.
Paul7

Reply #36   Jan 31, 2011 12:24 pm
borat wrote:
True, but mixing two cycle oil into a fuel container is considerably easier than doing an oil change then having to properly dispose of use oil etc. 

I have numerous two cycle engines which use anywhere from 20:1 to 50:1 ratios.  I run a mix between 32:1 to 40:1 in all of them.  So, one can of fuel for everything two stroke.   Easy as pie.

There's the difference Borat.  You have numerous two cycle machines.  My riding mower, walk behind mowers, front tine tiller, rear tine tiller, pressure washers, generators, etc...all are 4 stroke.  At one point everything I used was 4 stroke...except my lone 2 stroke mini-tiller.  Do you know what a pain it was to have to maintain a separate gas/oil mix for just ONE piece of equipment. Making sure it stayed fresh, running out and needing to mix a little more just to finish.   If I ran multiple two strokes engines regularly then it would be worth the effort.  So when I saw an 4 stroke mini tiller made by Earthquake I got one and it works great.  No loss of performance at all.  My 4 stoke weed eater on the other hand is less appealing than my previous 2 stroke one because the motor gets uncomfortably hot.  Probably will go back to a 2 stroke trimmer. 

PS.  You're making an assumption by thinking that all used oil is properly disposed of LOL.  I don't even know the proper way to dispose of it.  I use it to start fires when I burn leaves and brush. 
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #37   Jan 31, 2011 12:35 pm
Paul7 wrote:
PS.  You're making an assumption by thinking that all used oil is properly disposed of LOL.  I don't even know the proper way to dispose of it.  I use it to start fires when I burn leaves and brush. 

Whenever I change the oil in my driveway on my cars (or on whatever), I drain the old oil into an empty oil container or into an empty windshield wash container and then bring it to the auto centre of the Wal-mart or Canadian Tire or Costco; from wherever I bought the new oil, or to the nearest place.  If they can sell you oil, they can take it back IMO.  There may even be regulations to that effect, but I have never had a problem with returning used oil and filters like this.
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by NotMoneyGuy

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

borat

Reply #38   Jan 31, 2011 12:43 pm
"Do you know what a pain it was to have to maintain a separate gas/oil mix for just ONE piece of equipment."

In my previous post, I said that I use one can of pre-mix for every piece of two stroke equipment other than outboard motors.   There's no need to split hairs when mixing two cycle fuel.  Stay a bit on the rich side and all will be well. 

I readily see your point however, being that you've invested in primarily four stroke OPE.   I have a mixed bag of small engines.  Lots of both types, as well a a couple four cycle ATVs, motorcycles, riding mowers etc.   I find two cycle machines far easier to live with and easier to coax a bit more power out of. 

Other than the fuel leak in the 421, how does it perform compared to the two stroke when it comes to moving snow?   According to Toro's advertisements, the 421 series is the flagship of their single stage machines.  Supposedly, they throw snow five feet further  and move 100 lbs. more snow per minute than the 221.   Is that factual or just another sales ploy?    
aa335

Reply #39   Jan 31, 2011 2:33 pm
borat wrote:

Other than the fuel leak in the 421, how does it perform compared to the two stroke when it comes to moving snow?   According to Toro's advertisements, the 421 series is the flagship of their single stage machines.  Supposedly, they throw snow five feet further  and move 100 lbs. more snow per minute than the 221.   Is that factual or just another sales ploy?    

My neighbor has a 221Q and I have the 421Q.  In medium weight snow, the throwing distance is similar.  Neither engines are taxed too much.  They are so close that I don't notice the 421Q has more throwing distance.

However, when pushed into a cement thick snow, the 421Q will not loose RPM as quickly and still has enough rotor speed to eject the snow out of the chute.  The 421Q engine is quite gutsy and does 9.5/10 as well as the older Honda HS621 in this kind of situation. 

The 221Q would slow down and does not have enough velocity to push the thick toothpaste out the chute, instead it will spill out in front of the rotor.   However, surprisingly, the 2 stroke engine still have enough grunt to keep the rotor turning, just very slowly.
This message was modified Jan 31, 2011 by aa335
borat

Reply #40   Jan 31, 2011 2:49 pm
aa335:

Do you know what rpms the four stroke runs at?   Who makes the engine in the 421Q? 

The 221QE is supposed to be set at 4000 +/- 100 rpm.   Before adjusting mine, it was running between 3700-3800 according to the mini tach.   When I set it to 4100, there was a noticeable difference in power.  I'm wondering if your neighbour's 221Q engine is running at the correct speed?   Either way, four strokes are supposed have more torque and being a few ccs. larger than the R-tek, the added displacement should also increase torque.  
aa335

Reply #41   Jan 31, 2011 3:04 pm
@borat and others who may be interested

I guess I should set the stage and provide some background info in case someone would question the performance of the 221Q versus the 421Q.

Both engines are in stock form.  No modifications were made to either.  My 421Q is new, so it has factory setting.  My neighbor's 221Q is 3 years old, may or may not be in top operating tune.  He hasn't messed with it so I assume it is factory setting.  So what I was comparing to is factory stock.  His paddles are a little more worn than mine so that might skewed the observation somewhat.

I don't know what RPM the four stroke runs at, but the engine is Loncin 163cc, probably a Honda GX160 clone.   Have not dig into the specs yet.  It sounds very similar to a genuine GX160 engine.  The GX160 has a more subdued sound, the Loncin has a little sharper bark to it. 
Replies: 32 - 41 of 41Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42