Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MAJOR Snow Storm acoming!!!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kellyinkc

MAJOR Snow Storm acoming!!!!
Original Message   Jan 30, 2011 5:01 pm
http://snowday.community.officelive.com/default.aspx

Replies: 1 - 33 of 33View as Outline
bus708

Re: MAJOR Snow Storm acoming!!!!
Reply #1   Jan 30, 2011 5:10 pm
Send me your address. I'll throw you some
kellyinkc

Reply #2   Jan 30, 2011 5:15 pm
Then it's going YOUR WAY....... you guys have had enough!!
aa335

Reply #3   Jan 30, 2011 8:43 pm
Blizzard watch, up to foot and half over 3 days period. Woo hoo!!! Potentially the biggest storm of the season.
This message was modified Jan 30, 2011 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #4   Jan 30, 2011 8:46 pm
It's not even close to the NorthEast, gives me time to get a couple more gallons of gas.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #5   Jan 30, 2011 8:47 pm
I know it's nothing but we take what we can get.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #6   Jan 30, 2011 8:56 pm
aa335 wrote:
I know it's nothing but we take what we can get.

I meant close to us in terms of us getting any of the snow.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
kellyinkc

Reply #7   Jan 30, 2011 9:05 pm
We may get a blizzard here in KC. The Toro is ready to go.
http://www.freejohnnydare.com/fjd/2011/01/snownami-the-orchestral-version/
aa335

Reply #8   Jan 31, 2011 7:43 pm
We're definitely getting snow in Chicagoland area, and a blizzard too.  Looks like the snow cab is going up on the snowblower. 
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #9   Feb 1, 2011 5:51 am
Environment Canada just upgraded Toronto area from winter storm watch to warning. By Wed could have 25 - 30 cm, the most in three years, since Feb 6th, 2008. Winds gusting to 60 km/h should make for some nice drifts too. Start your engines, boogety, boogety....

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

Steve_Cebu

Reply #10   Feb 1, 2011 6:48 am
Yay we have 2 storms on the way! First one is expected to start in a few hours and will dump 6-8 inches and then on Wed we are supposed to get another 9-13"!

WoodyWW

Reply #11   Feb 1, 2011 2:38 pm
This pic is from 3 or 4 Snow Storms ago in the Northeast. It's piled way higher now, including on the roof (!!). The little Toro 221Q has been a lifesaver, so far.....

(Damn photobucket doesn't work, so I deleted the faulty link. What's next, locusts?)
This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by WoodyWW
Steve_Cebu

Reply #12   Feb 1, 2011 5:01 pm
WoodyWW wrote:
This pic is from 3 or 4 Snow Storms ago in the Northeast. It's piled way higher now, including on the roof (!!). The little Toro 221Q has been a lifesaver, so far.....

(Damn photobucket doesn't work, so I deleted the faulty link. What's next, locusts?)

I use Photobucket all the time. When you post a link clink on the little icon above with a mountain on it. Then in Photobucket when you hover your mouse over your pic you will get 4 options pick the second one that says direct link and paste that into the Image properties URL in the little mountain icon on Abby's guide. and below you see the result. Hope that helps. Oh and i'm using IE8.

Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #13   Feb 1, 2011 5:29 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Environment Canada just upgraded Toronto area from winter storm watch to warning. By Wed could have 25 - 30 cm, the most in three years, since Feb 6th, 2008. Winds gusting to 60 km/h should make for some nice drifts too. Start your engines, boogety, boogety....

Thought you guys just called in the army when it snowed!  LOL  Good Luck!

Regina set a record on Jan 14 for the most total winter snowfall (120 cm).  And......accumlated snowfall for that date averages 49% of that expected for the whole winter!

NotMoneyGuy

Reply #14   Feb 1, 2011 10:31 pm
Ah Dr_Woof, now you've done it, betrayed a national secret, that the real capitol of Canada (Toronto's) municipal (city) govenment controls the federal government's (national) military.  You might as well post a picture of the secret telephone that Mayor Mel Lastman used in 1999 to call Canada's then Defence Minister Art Eggleton on.  http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090111/090111_snow_10years/20090111/?hub=CP24Home

This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by NotMoneyGuy

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

borat

Reply #15   Feb 1, 2011 10:39 pm
WoodyWW wrote:

I'm glad to hear your Toro 221 is getting the job done.  I've recently bought a 221QE.

According to a couple people on this forum, the 221 is only good for up to 6" of snow. 

Would you please give us your account of what the 221 has done for you? 

There are a few of us here who would like to know.
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #16   Feb 1, 2011 10:51 pm
borat wrote:
I'm glad to hear your Toro 221 is getting the job done.  I've recently bought a 221QE.

According to a couple people on this forum, the 221 is only good for up to 6" of snow. 

Would you please give us your account of what the 221 has done for you? 

There are a few of us here who would like to know.

Hmmm........Really don't look like 221 in the picture,.   Look more like ".......heavy equipment........"  (AKA snowshovels)  mentioned in the article lol
This message was modified Feb 1, 2011 by Dr_Woof

borat

Reply #17   Feb 1, 2011 10:55 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
Hmmm........Really don't look like 221 in the picture,.   Look more like ".......heavy equipment........"  (AKA snowshovels)  mentioned in the article lol

Yeah.  I doubt they were doing woodyWW's driveway though. 
aa335

Reply #18   Feb 1, 2011 11:43 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:

It looks like one of the guys lost a contact lens and they're trying to find it.
Santaclause

Reply #19   Feb 2, 2011 9:43 am
no big snow here was supposed to get 12-16 inches got about 5-6 tops,not a big workout for the cub so oh well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kellyinkc

Reply #20   Feb 3, 2011 6:39 pm
Well, my Toro 221 went though EOD that was over the top of the blower with no issues. Yes it did bog down but never stalled, That thing is a pit bull.
We got 12" of snow and it just powered though it.
I call it the little engine that could. LOLOL!
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #21   Feb 4, 2011 12:05 am
Feeling pretty good about yesterday's work in clearing up the Greater Toronto Area's supposed best storm in three years and EOD thereof, I thought I would swing by my house at lunchtime today to admire the work of yesterday (first two pics) and the progress of the sun on the snow remnants.

Turns out "Mr. Town Plow" had paid me a visit in the morning.  So the subsequent pics show "how I spent my lunchtime today".  Great weather and great machines.  Dropped in to HD for a take-out meatball sub and looked at the remaining snow machines on the way back to work, so all is well that ends well.

Very impressed with the Ariens' chewing ability.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #22   Feb 4, 2011 4:24 am
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Feeling pretty good about yesterday's work in clearing up the Greater Toronto Area's supposed best storm in three years and EOD thereof, I thought I would swing by my house at lunchtime today to admire the work of yesterday (first two pics) and the progress of the sun on the snow remnants.

Turns out "Mr. Town Plow" had paid me a visit in the morning.  So the subsequent pics show "how I spent my lunchtime today".  Great weather and great machines.  Dropped in to HD for a take-out meatball sub and looked at the remaining snow machines on the way back to work, so all is well that ends well.

Very impressed with the Ariens' chewing ability.

Great Pics!  

Did you have any problems with the Ariens chute clogging? I noticed while I was out that many Ariens owners had their chute unclogging tools out.

superbuick

Reply #23   Feb 4, 2011 8:24 am
How does that Poulan work?
aa335

Reply #24   Feb 4, 2011 10:04 am
@notmoneyguy

Good deed you done clearing a path for that fire hydrant.  I'm sure the fireman would appreciate that, in addition to not wasting time looking for it buried under 5 feet of snow.  I'm still searching for mine, kinda like searching for survivors after an avalanche.  It's down there somewhere, and I'm close.

I'm also interested on how that Poulan work too.  It's packed with a huge 208cc engine, should have enough oomph to power through.

This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by aa335
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #25   Feb 4, 2011 10:11 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Did you have any problems with the Ariens chute clogging? I noticed while I was out that many Ariens owners had their chute unclogging tools out.

Thanks Steve.  The chute is always clean as a whistle, no clogging problems at all so far.  As you can see in the above pics - and this one below- , the rest of the machine and bucket may get snow-cling, but the chute and circular impeller areas are nice and shiny.  I used some quickie high-gloss spray-on Turtle Wax, buffed in with cheese cloth when the machine was assembled.  I plan to do this once in a while to keep things slippery in there.  I also spray WD-40 into the chute and bucket area sometimes - I know I shouldn't as it is a solvent sort of - but will get some Pam or silicone spray and try those later.  For now I'd say car wax works well.

borat

Reply #26   Feb 4, 2011 10:15 am
The chute looks new.  Doesn't the city use salt and sand on the streets where you live?   That stuff will strip the paint off the inside of a metal chute in a few seasons of use.  That's why I put a liner in my Simplicity.  Nothing sticks to that. 
This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by borat
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #27   Feb 4, 2011 10:37 am
borat wrote:
The chute looks new.  Doesn't the city use salt and sand on the streets where you live?   That stuff will strip the paint off the inside of a metal chute in a few seasons of use.  That's why I put a liner in my Simplicity.  Nothing sticks to that. 

Both salt and sand, and ice chunks from old, crusty busted-up EOD's coming my way from the town plow.  The machine is fairly new (end of Oct 2010), so hasn't seen that much action yet.  More EOD's than it should have though, kind of like free samples to the neighbours in order to convince them to spring for their own machines.

I like to think that it is a testament to the quality of Ariens' paint and Wisconsin-workmanship skilled application thereof!  Either that or Turtle Wax aren't kidding about the "Turtle" part of their name.  Time will tell.

Paul7

Reply #28   Feb 4, 2011 10:40 am
aa335 wrote:

I'm also interested on how that Poulan work too.  It's packed with a huge 208cc engine, should have enough oomph to power through.

NotMoneyGuy - Nice job showing that snow who's boss!  The plow man too.  How did you divide the work work load between your Poulan and Ariens?

aa335 - I don't have any experience with the Poulan BUT I can tell you that engine size will not compensate for a poor design.  I had a 7hp Ariens 722 single stage.  It would not move wet heavy snow unless you were blowing it straight ahead.  Once you aimed the chute to the side the snow dribbled out like toothpaste.  Even 4" of wet snow would clog it up.  Everything was set to specs, chute was waxed, and the engine was strong...just didn't work.  The only good thing was that Ariens quickly ended their brief experiment into the single stage arena so not many of these disasters made it to the hands of consumers. 

This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by Paul7
Steve_Cebu

Reply #29   Feb 4, 2011 10:46 am
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Thanks Steve.  The chute is always clean as a whistle, no clogging problems at all so far.  As you can see in the above pics - and this one below- , the rest of the machine and bucket may get snow-cling, but the chute and circular impeller areas are nice and shiny.  I used some quickie high-gloss spray-on Turtle Wax, buffed in with cheese cloth when the machine was assembled.  I plan to do this once in a while to keep things slippery in there.  I also spray WD-40 into the chute and bucket area sometimes - I know I shouldn't as it is a solvent sort of - but will get some Pam or silicone spray and try those later.  For now I'd say car wax works well.

Ok thanks, for all I know other machines are sticking too, it's just yesterday it was like National Ariens day out there.

The stuff was nasty and slushy and half melting more from the salt than the heat as I think yesterday got up to about 23F.

My dealer suggested Pam cooking spray. I tried that once and my chute clogged a bit, now that the Pam has worn off, no clogging. I guess Pam doesn't like plastic. WD-40 is nothing but fish oil and stabilizers, so kinda like unedible Pam.

Wax is kinda hard to put on right now as it's so cold and even inside it's not really melting. I was going to do my EOD but it's only 2 inches and it's not very soft yet, we get less salt up here I guess.

borat

Reply #30   Feb 4, 2011 10:47 am
If the Ariens SS is that bad, try over-riding the governor to jack up the power and rotor speed.   Power and velocity can often make up for poor design. 
Paul7

Reply #31   Feb 4, 2011 12:01 pm
borat wrote:
If the Ariens SS is that bad, try over-riding the governor to jack up the power and rotor speed.   Power and velocity can often make up for poor design. 

I already solved the problem Borat.  I sold it for $25.  I told the guy who bought it that it didn't work, that it would just frustrate him, and that he was throwing his money away.  He bought it anyway and I'm glad that I don't have to trip over it anymore.
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #32   Feb 4, 2011 12:03 pm
superbuick, aa335 and Paul7,

With regards to the Poulan, I have only had the chance to use it as a "middle" machine, after the Ariens and before the 30" shovel.  One time I tried it on a sloppier EOD and put it away for the Ariens.  It seems powerful, but EOD is for two-stagers if you have one at the ready.  I will, with some more snow coming, give the Poulan full use and see how it goes and report back.  I'll post action pics and hopefully some video.  For now it starts and runs like a charm, throws nicely and is really fast moving.  Very nimble and easy to steer.  I really like how it leaves next to nothing for the 30" shovel to scrape off.  The stutter pattern is nice to look at, very tidy - you can even see a bit of it in the street in the bottom pic below.  The sun has little to do before I see the black asphalt on the driveway.  Even while the street is still white.  The neighbours think I have buried heating coils.

Next dump around here, we'll see how the 208 cm3 fares on its own.  Thanks for the comments.

aa335

Reply #33   Feb 4, 2011 3:18 pm
@notmoneyguy,

You have very nicely groomed snowbanks.  Your blacktop is all clean of snow.  I used to have blacktop and now I have concrete driveway.  I do miss the blacktop for the winter when the sun warms up the pavement and melts the remnant snow and ice. 

I do like the concrete driveway in the summer since it doesn't get as hot, but my driveway is on the west side of the house, it is in shadow most of the day and there's very little afternoon sun to melt the snow.
This message was modified Feb 4, 2011 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 33 of 33View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42