Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Shame on Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Shame on Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton
Original Message   Jan 26, 2011 8:45 am

It’s a real shame that B&S and the TEC Company did not add a simple fix such as low oil shut-off. I have seen engines that are lest then a few years old because homeowners forgot to add oil to the engines. This is real sad when you consider the Honda clone engines that are selling for less than a B&S and TEC carburetor.  TEC deserved to have throw-in the towel on building engines. My money says B&S will not be around much longer.

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
Replies: 2 - 11 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
uconncuzinvinny

Go UCONN!

Re: Shame on Tecumseh and Briggs and Stratton
Reply #2   Jan 26, 2011 12:39 pm
People take some  responsibility, check you oil before every usage.

I love the folks that wait for the oil light to come on in their cars before they check their oil. 

Ariens 824 with R3 Drive Update,  Toro 6.5 HP personal pace Lawn mower, B&S Generac 2700 PSI pressure washer.
tkrotchko

Reply #3   Jan 26, 2011 12:44 pm
uconncuzinvinny wrote:
People take some  responsibility, check you oil before every usage.

I love the folks that wait for the oil light to come on in their cars before they check their oil. 

That's all the new BMW's have is a low oil light.

There is no dipstick.

Anyway, to the point, its all well and good to say that, but if your competition is providing that capability for the same or lower price, and they continue to innovate to help customers, you won't last long saying "It was good enough for dad, it's good enough for you". Tecumseh found that out, I guess.
This message was modified Jan 26, 2011 by tkrotchko
borat

Reply #4   Jan 26, 2011 1:42 pm
I agree with tkrotchko.

I'm a confirmed motor-head and am always maintenance vigilant.  However, in my opinion, that does not forgive North American manufacturers from lagging behind the competition.   What's the draw to buying inferior technology?   Other than brand loyalty, what's in it for the consumer?  

The "good enough" attitude is what got our countries into the manufacturing quagmire we're in.  The Japanese handed our butts to us almost fifty years ago when they started to introduce small, inexpensive and very reliable motorcycles.   The U.S. government had to intervene in the 80s to keep the only domestic motorcycle from going down the tubes by introducing huge tariffs on motorcycles over 700ccs.  Then the Asian cars came along and kicked the North American auto manufacturers in the a$$.   Let's not even talk about cameras and electronics. 

Are we really that dense of a society not to see the dangers of complacency?   Even today, we're dragging our heels.  Why?   
aa335

Reply #5   Jan 26, 2011 2:23 pm
tkrotchko wrote:
That's all the new BMW's have is a low oil light.

There is no dipstick.

Anyway, to the point, its all well and good to say that, but if your competition is providing that capability for the same or lower price, and they continue to innovate to help customers, you won't last long saying "It was good enough for dad, it's good enough for you". Tecumseh found that out, I guess.

That's not entirely true.  the newer BMW's have actual oil level indicator in the dash that the driver can call up at anytime, even while driving  The oil change interval is condition based, meaning it keeps record of how the car has been driven and lengthen or shorten the oil change interval accordingly.  If you flog the engine a lot, the oil change will be sooner.

It's more than low oil light.  The computer only allow the engine level to be 1 quart low before the oil alert is displayed.  So when the alert is on, you add 1 quart and it the oil level comes up to appropriate oil level.  No dipstick, simple, and clean.

The only time no dipstick is a pain is when you change the oil yourself, you need to know how much engine requires and fill it up.  Then fire up the engine and wait a few minutes for the oil level sensor to update.  Then add more oil if needed.
aa335

Reply #6   Jan 26, 2011 2:40 pm
borat wrote:

Are we really that dense of a society not to see the dangers of complacency?   Even today, we're dragging our heels.  Why?   

The same mentality that thumbs down on Chinese produced products.  "Made in America" somehow garners automatic entitlement to superior products, or so we think.   Keep making them big, dumb, and heavy with steel with healthy dose of "enuf said" ignorance is a surefire recipe for failure.  It's only a matter of time before "Made in China" becomes the new "Made in Japan"

Standing still makes a sitting duck, a moving target is harder to hit.

So, getting back on topic.  If B&S don't offer competitive products with features, price, and reliability to boot, they'll be loosing their shirt to those "thumbed down" companies.  
This message was modified Jan 26, 2011 by aa335
Paul7

Reply #7   Jan 26, 2011 3:16 pm
borat wrote:
I agree with tkrotchko.

I'm a confirmed motor-head and am always maintenance vigilant.  However, in my opinion, that does not forgive North American manufacturers from lagging behind the competition.   What's the draw to buying inferior technology?   Other than brand loyalty, what's in it for the consumer?  

The "good enough" attitude is what got our countries into the manufacturing quagmire we're in.  The Japanese handed our butts to us almost fifty years ago when they started to introduce small, inexpensive and very reliable motorcycles.   The U.S. government had to intervene in the 80s to keep the only domestic motorcycle from going down the tubes by introducing huge tariffs on motorcycles over 700ccs.  Then the Asian cars came along and kicked the North American auto manufacturers in the a$$.   Let's not even talk about cameras and electronics. 

Accord and Camry brands are introduced in the 1980's.  Those brands are still here today...growing.   GM opted to launch a new model in the same class every few years.  Launch, then cancel, then relaunch a new brand... over that same time frame models like the Citation, Celebrity, Lumina all came and went.  It was marketing over brand development.   How does one remain brand loyal when the brand is constantly being discontinued.

Look at Ariens with snow blowers.  I guarantee you that whatever model you buy this year will be replaced by a different model next year.  Ariens Deluxe, Ariens Platinum, Ariens Pro, Ariens Prosumer, Ariens Deluxe Platinum, Ariens Sno-Tec...What would be wrong with say simply making the best 28" snow thrower that can be engineered.  Maybe a wheeled model and a track model and standing them up against any and all competitors.  Maybe there's a good reason for not taking that approach.  I don't run an OPE company so that reason is probably over my head.
tkrotchko

Reply #8   Jan 26, 2011 3:40 pm
aa335 wrote:
That's not entirely true.  the newer BMW's have actual oil level indicator in the dash that the driver can call up at anytime, even while driving  The oil change interval is condition based, meaning it keeps record of how the car has been driven and lengthen or shorten the oil change interval accordingly.  If you flog the engine a lot, the oil change will be sooner.

It's more than low oil light.  The computer only allow the engine level to be 1 quart low before the oil alert is displayed.  So when the alert is on, you add 1 quart and it the oil level comes up to appropriate oil level.  No dipstick, simple, and clean.

The only time no dipstick is a pain is when you change the oil yourself, you need to know how much engine requires and fill it up.  Then fire up the engine and wait a few minutes for the oil level sensor to update.  Then add more oil if needed.

Yes, you're absolutely right; my model is an "inbetweener" in the sense that it has a dipstick and a "low oil" light. When it turns on, I add a quart (I have very high mileage and I'm burning about a quart every 1000-1200 miles. Oil is cheaper than fixing it at this point). At first, I refused to believe the light, checking it as my dad had taught me. But the light is always right, so now I trust the light. And you know what? Its easier than a dipstick.
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Reply #9   Jan 26, 2011 4:41 pm
I was always a GM guy I decided to treat myself and bought a BMW X3 I better read the owners manuel all the dealer said was once the service engine light comes on, Call us for a service appt we will provide you with a loaner Bimmer and we will call you when the service is complete. Seems very simple

Now back to the low oil shut-off  switch for the B&S.  I can't believe they have not added that feature on ther new series of engines.

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
tkrotchko

Reply #10   Jan 26, 2011 4:52 pm
My 15 year old Kohler V-Twin has that feature, I've had Honda OPE engines for at least that long, they've had that feature, I have a Kawasaki V-Twin on my tractor, it has that feature. It's like "welcome to 1985" at Briggs.
Paul7

Reply #11   Jan 26, 2011 6:12 pm
Briggs make a low oil shut off for a lot of their 5 to 11hp engines.  Only it's an aftermarket accessory, cost $45, and you install it yourself.

Briggs & Stratton Part #398182 Oil Guard Kit.

http://www.milfordpower.com/Genuine-Briggs-Stratton-398182-Oil-Gard-Kit-p/398182.htm
Replies: 2 - 11 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42