Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens snowblower - drive belt burns up

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Pitt

Ariens snowblower - drive belt burns up
Original Message   Jan 15, 2011 3:44 pm
Hi

My snowblower (ariens ST724) will start but not budge.  I pulled it apart and the drive belt was broken and drive plate appears to be frozen.  Replaced the drive belt, started it up and the belt started smoking right away - the drive belt is burning on the top pulley (pulley spinning, belt not).  No change when I try to engage the wheels. 

Any suggestions?
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Pitt

Re: Ariens snowblower - drive belt burns up
Reply #7   Jan 15, 2011 4:50 pm
Drive belt is correct - the auger/assembly has been removed.  The sheave? (the wheel the belt wraps around that connects to the drive plate) for the drive will move "a little" but won't turn.
Shryp

Reply #8   Jan 15, 2011 4:54 pm
Does not sound like anything any of us are familiar with.  Sounds like you are going to have to just go at it and report your findings.  The drive plate should always turn with the engine, then the engage lever moves it to the disc and spins the wheels.
jrtrebor

Reply #9   Jan 15, 2011 5:54 pm
You'll have to drop the belly pan first.  Two bolt on the back of the blower, two on the bottom.  The two on the bottom do not have to be completely removed, the holes are keyholed.  Loosen them up a couple of full turns and then slide the cover backwards.

It think I would first make sure that the friction wheel is disengaged from the drive plate.  If it is, and the fiction wheel spins freely. Then the problem has to be in Drive Plate shaft bearings.  Which would be an unusual problem.
Those are some pretty heavy duty bearings.  With the drive belt off the large drive pulley and the friction wheel disengaged from the drive plate.  The pulley and drive plate should spin freely.
As you can see there really isn't a whole lot to go wrong with the Drive Plate assembly.  A plate, shaft and bearings.  Number 16 is the drive plate.

How old is your blower, roughtly?

This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by jrtrebor
trouts2

Reply #10   Jan 15, 2011 9:17 pm
What is the model number off the back of the base?

Did you just get this and it had been sitting for years?

Was it running 4 days ago and this just happened?

Any supplement detail?

Seems like you've already opened up the pan.  Can your turn the big drive pulley and does the drive plate rotate?  Probably not.  Spray some PB-Blaster under the drive plate.  Get a big screwdrive and pry up under the drive plate.  Go above and push down.  Work it until you can turn the pulley and the drive plate turns.  Knowing the model would be a big help.

This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by trouts2
Pitt

Reply #11   Jan 15, 2011 11:21 pm
Thanks all, for the advice.

Model - 932032

I'll try loosening up the plate in the AM
trouts2

Reply #12   Jan 16, 2011 7:04 am

It 47 could be rusted or pinched on 50 o 51.  46 could be worn and jamed.

Pitt

Reply #13   Jan 16, 2011 11:42 am
I've removed the pulley, pulled the set screws from the hub and can't remove the hub.  It still turns about a 1/16 of a revolution in either direction.  Will continue with WD40 and try removing the drive plate.
This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by Pitt
Shryp

Reply #14   Jan 16, 2011 2:10 pm
Looks like we now have 3 similar problems.

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/55042-0-1.html

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/54829-0-1.html
Pitt

Reply #15   Jan 16, 2011 4:36 pm
I appreciate the advice from everyone - I think mine is going to the shop.  I tried pulling the axle, but the hex bolt won't back out of the gear, even after the nut is off.  Tried pulling the The drive plate still only rotates about a half inch in either direction.
trouts2

Reply #16   Jan 16, 2011 6:38 pm
This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by trouts2
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42