Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Transporting Snowblowers

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Transporting Snowblowers
Original Message   Nov 2, 2010 8:27 am
I know they make ramp kits out there, and less expensive ones that bolt a regular 2x10, etc... The trick in all of them, it to strap the overhanging lip to the tailgate to secure it... With that said, has anyone done transport of any large OPE via just regular wood planks. Is there a method of doing it ~inexpensively~ yet safely ? Or even a plank platform ? I'm looking at 2 stagers and possibly used vs new. Otherwise, I'm inclined to possibly break down a 2 stager down (remove the shoot and handlebars) and the remainder should just fit inside the SUV just fine.
Replies: 20 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JGtravelor

Re: Transporting Snowblowers
Reply #20   Jan 15, 2011 1:11 pm
I use the tail gate of my trailor as the ramp. On either side of  the wall of the trailer are two boards spaced apart the thickness of the  boards making up the tailgate.  I slide the tailgate up and out and lay it out the back of the trailer to serve as a ramp.

Another great way to make a ramp is to go the a place that sells industrial shelves and metal mezzanines and get a length of aluminum planking  Cut to desired length.. See attachment.  http://www.mcnichols.com/products/grating/plank/slotted-plank/

All you need to do is drill a hole in the boards that now serve as the top of the ramp in both cornors and drill down into the edge of the trailer.  Simply drop in to 5" long hex bolts to assure the ramp doesn't slide back.

In the rear of my GMC Envoy SUV are two tie down loops that you could run a piece of rope through and into the  hole of two boards that you may use as a ramp. I would make a cross shaped support to assure the boards don't move as if they searate and the blower falls between them and injures you, damages your SUV and damages the snow blower.

You could use the thin metal braces that are used on metal shelving. Both strips are secured to the boards using carrage bolts and a nut that is snug but not tight as you want to be able to fold up the ramp. The location of the top holes is predetermined by the width of the wheels. The top carraige bolts aren't put in until your going to use the ramp. I good ramp will have an extra narrow board along the outside edge of each  side of the ramp to help prevent driving the blower off the edge. The rope going from the tie downs to the ramp will prevent the ramp from sliding out off the bumper. Two short ropes could be secured to and stay with the ramp so only one end needs to be tied.

Replies: 20 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42