Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower Light

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Snowblower Light
Original Message   Jan 10, 2011 10:34 am
I was at Home Depot last week looking around.  Decided to walk through the lighting dept to see what kind of 12v outdoor lights they had.  Got lucky and found these lights on a shelf marked down to $9.99.
They are made of cast aluminum and come with a 50W Halogen bulb included. The hood can be swiveled around the housing.  The mounting base is pipe thread so you can use a lot of different fittings, (steel of plastic)
to come up with a way to mount it to your blower.  The head tilts. 

I first used it with the 50w bulb but found out that it was taking to much out of my battery.  So I bought a 30w bulb for $5.50 (at HD).  Used it last night for about an hour.  Battery now stays charged.
The 30w puts out plenty of light.  With a very good pattern. About 8 to 10' feet wide, and bright out to about 12 to 15' from the front of the blower before it starts to taper off.  I'll have to try and take a picture
of the beam shape and throw at night.

Grounded one of the wires and ran the other to a weather proof toggle switch from Radio Shack. (Can't get the links to work you'll have to cut and paste).  http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3042775

I didn't see this one while I was there but it might work as well and it's cheaper. 
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhv/R-202025758/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Comes with a 20w Halogen bulb, which I'm sure would also put out enough light. 
As long as the bulb wattage is 30w of less you should be able to use them without a problem if you already have some type of factory light on your blower.  The 3mp lighting coils will handle it.

This message was modified Jan 10, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 11 of 11View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42