Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Can This engine be Saved by Honning

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Can This engine be Saved by Honning
Original Message   Jan 7, 2011 7:55 am
I bought a Snowblower with a blown B&S engine. The owner forgot to add oil and it sieze-up  and  messed-up the cylinder at the very buttom and toasted the piston and rings. If I were to hone the cylinder and  install a new piston and ring set would this be enough. Honing will not  repair  all the scrapes at the base of the cylinder. Everything else seems to be ok. Please see pictures

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
Replies: 5 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
starwarrior

Re: Can This engine be Saved by Honning
Reply #5   Jan 9, 2011 6:51 am
I would simply replace the engine. It is most likely going to cost you more in parts than a  replacement engine will cost and your effort will be better served retrofitting a new engine.

Without getting into the semantics of the manufacturing process, aluminum crank cases unless they have sleeved cylinders undergo a special treatment process that conditions the cylinder walls.

A fine example as a result of not checking the oil beforehand.

Starwarrior

This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by starwarrior
Replies: 5 - 5 of 5Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42