Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Can This engine be Saved by Honning

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Can This engine be Saved by Honning
Original Message   Jan 7, 2011 7:55 am
I bought a Snowblower with a blown B&S engine. The owner forgot to add oil and it sieze-up  and  messed-up the cylinder at the very buttom and toasted the piston and rings. If I were to hone the cylinder and  install a new piston and ring set would this be enough. Honing will not  repair  all the scrapes at the base of the cylinder. Everything else seems to be ok. Please see pictures

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
borat

Re: Can This engine be Saved by Honning
Reply #1   Jan 7, 2011 9:21 am
It's hard to say from the pics,  but the cylinder doesn't look like it's cast iron.  I can't see much liner material if it is.  If it's an aluminum bore with piston material friction-welded to it, you might be able to remove most of it by using a hone.  However, the quality of cylinder finish and degree of proper roundness will be questionable at best.  Personally, the work required and parts to get it anywhere near functional might be more of an investment than a replacement used engine.  I wouldn't bother trying to repair it.  
trouts2

Reply #2   Jan 7, 2011 5:51 pm
   It looks like someone honed it fairly reciently for too long and held the drill in the same spots.  It does not look very crosshatched.  It looks like the bottom of the bore is worn up past where the rings stop probably by piston skirt slap.  Is that bottom area rough?   If so I doubt the bore is still within spec at the bottom.  Can you run our fingernail across the scoring and catch your fingernail?   A bore gage set is $7 from Harbor Freight.

The middle left of the piston looks like it's indented.  Hard to imagine how the bore could be good even if steel. 

This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by trouts2
Moderator Denis

Reply #3   Jan 8, 2011 2:31 pm
You probaly need a new crank and bearing if it has heaten up! like Borat said get a used engine with a good compression test and you've done for maybe around 75 to 150$ Good Luck!

carlb

Reply #4   Jan 8, 2011 3:07 pm
I would not put any money into this engine.  You don't mention what size engine it is but if it is a small 5 or 6hp engine with a 3/4 shaft I would just get a 99 dollar harbor freight 6.5hp and put it on unless your motor has two shafts.
starwarrior

Reply #5   Jan 9, 2011 6:51 am
I would simply replace the engine. It is most likely going to cost you more in parts than a  replacement engine will cost and your effort will be better served retrofitting a new engine.

Without getting into the semantics of the manufacturing process, aluminum crank cases unless they have sleeved cylinders undergo a special treatment process that conditions the cylinder walls.

A fine example as a result of not checking the oil beforehand.

Starwarrior

This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by starwarrior
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42