Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Engine . . . Change the Oil ? How Soon ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

New Engine . . . Change the Oil ? How Soon ?
Original Message   Jan 6, 2011 9:43 am
For every new engine I ever purchase, whether in a new car or a lawnmower I change the oil after just a few hours of use.  I learned to do this because a new  engine wears in and creates small metal particles that cause excess wear if they are not removed from the engine, and even in new cars with oil filters the filter is limited in how small the particles it can trap.  In the case of my New Honda GX 270 engine that powers my Honda Snowblower, I ran the machine for about 2 hours, then drained and refilled the engine with 100% synthetic oil.  When the oil was visible in the drain pan it was grey in color from the large quantity of metal wear particles suspended in the oil.   I will probably wait another 4 to 6 hours of operation before doing another oil change.   Considering that the expensive new engine only requires a little more than 1 quart of oil, and it has no oil filter, it seems a prudent investment to add these very early oil changes to the maintenance regimen of a new engine.   Incidentally, Honda suggests the first change after 20 hours.  Based on the evidence of the metal in the oil, I would suggest that is far too long to wait for that initial oil change.  

I'm curious how others feel about this.

Replies: 50 - 59 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
New_Yorker

Re: New Engine . . . Change the Oil ? How Soon ?
Reply #50   Jan 8, 2011 10:58 am
carlb wrote:
I am not talking about a corvette with with High tech piston rings I am talking about a single cylinder engine turning only 3600 rpms with a plain steel ring set that needs to wear in. 

you can quote what gm and mobile one say and take whatever you want out of context but, they are talking about high performance automotive applications and we are talking about friggen tiny little single cylinder motors.

How many engines have you actually built or re-built in your lifetime.  I have built over 90 high performance V8 racing engines and countless small single cylinder engines. There is a would of difference in materials that are use and what these small engines are expected to do compared to a high performance automotive engine.

I will not comment any further in this thread or any other thread that you post because I suspect you have no real world knowledge or experience, you just like to quote other sources or you beloved owners manual.

And stop quoting what mobile1 or GM say about automotive applications.  These are not automotive engines just like they are not Jet or Rocket engines.  Automotive engines and Small air cooled engines are apples and oranges.

Just as the 100% sythetic oil had enormous benefit in Jet aircraft engines, most of that transferred to internal combustion engines.  As to the alloys used in piston rings, bearings in engines, you would be wrong in imagining that the factories that make piston rings or bearings for a car or truck don't make the piston rings for your lawnmower, they do.  No one would incur the expense to use a different alloy in some and not all.  Just because a small one cylinder engine has not the complexity of a water cooled automobile engine changes nothing.  An air cooled 1 cylinder engine may well become hotter than the thermostat in the water cooled engine would permit, making the high temperature resistance of 100% synthetic oil even more critical in such an air cooled engine.  Besides the engine in my Honda snowblower is worth about a thousand dollars, and we're talking about one quart of oil.  I'm not just not gonna use a lesser oil and risk that investment for a few extra bucks.  Obviously you are comfortable doing that, and I am not.  We disagree.  Have a nice day.
New_Yorker

Reply #51   Jan 8, 2011 11:10 am
borat wrote:
"you should always be changing your the oil at or before the manufacturers recommended maintinance intervals. "

So, why use an oil two to five times the price when much less expensive oil will do the same job at a fraction of the cost?  

And we are talking a WHOLE ENTIRE QUART of oil here so you can save 2 maybe even 3 Dollars by not using the better oil !

There are reasons why a synthetic oil can endure a longer change interval, it mainly has to do with how much better the 100% synthetic oil resists breaking down from, heat and contamination by burning fuels, as well as the oil performing well before the engine heats it up in cold climates when conventional 'Dino' oils are still thick from the cold. 

Actually I don't really care how you maintain your engine, but anyone wanting the best protection should pay a few extra bucks each year and use what everyone knows is a better product with better product performance 100 % Synthetic Oil.  The Honda snowblower cost 3 grand, and a quart of sythetic oil is what ?  $ 5.00 bucks ?  Engage the Brain here or Not, your choice.  There's a reason jet engines can't operate of conventional dino oils, these are NOT the same product.

This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by New_Yorker
Steve_Cebu

Reply #52   Jan 8, 2011 11:38 am
New_Yorker wrote:
And we are talking a WHOLE ENTIRE QUART of oil here so you can save 2 maybe even 3 Dollars by not using the better oil !

There are reasons why a synthetic oil can endure a longer change interval, it mainly has to do with how much better the 100% synthetic oil resists breaking down from, heat and contamination by burning fuels, as well as the oil performing well before the engine heats it up in cold climates when conventional 'Dino' oils are still thick from the cold. 

Actually I don't really care how you maintain your engine, but anyone wanting the best protection should pay a few extra bucks each year and use what everyone knows is a better product with better product performance 100 % Synthetic Oil.  The Honda snowblower cost 3 grand, and a quart of sythetic oil is what ?  $ 5.00 bucks ?  Engage the Brain here or Not, your choice.  There's a reason jet engines can't operate of conventional dino oils, these are NOT the same product.

What model snowblower has a jet engine on it? You did mention Jet engines and while those should use synthetic oil. I don't have a jet engine on my Toro, so I'll stick with Dino oil. Oil will not break down in operating a snowblower for 25 hours a year. Dealing with the cold is more about viscosity and Dino oil is also rated for viscosity. By all means buy synth if you want to but there isn't any benefit on a machine with such low operating times.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
borat

Reply #53   Jan 8, 2011 12:16 pm
" the engine in my Honda snowblower is worth about a thousand dollars,"

In your mind maybe.  Here's a link to help you with a bit of a reality check:

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=GX240-Pulley&desc=Honda%20Engine%20%208hp%20Horizontal%20Shaft%20with%20Pulley,%20Muffler,%20Recoil%20Start,%20Fuel%20Tank
This message was modified Jan 8, 2011 by borat
carlb

Reply #54   Jan 8, 2011 12:20 pm
borat wrote:
" the engine in my Honda snowblower is worth about a thousand dollars,"

In your mind maybe.  Here's a link to help you with a bit of a reality check:

http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=GX240-Pulley&desc=Honda%20Engine%20%208hp%20Horizontal%20Shaft%20with%20Pulley,%20Muffler,%20Recoil%20Start,%20Fuel%20Tank

Borat,

But that one is just a plain old honda GX engine,  not the Jet Powered GX version
rubinew

Reply #55   Jan 8, 2011 12:33 pm
I am stuck on a plane in TO, so I am posting this message with phone. If you google 'synthetic oil and small engines' you will find several links to sites and pdfs regarding oils in small engines! Quick summary: Most engine manufacture do state that you can use synthetic oil in there engines, however some do recommend that you break to motor in with conventional oil first! Manufactures do warn of increased oil leaks with synthetic, and recommend changing synthetic oil at same intervals, because of dirt and contaminates. Most sites and forums confirm plug fouling, caused by synthetic oil getting past rings, but not burning off as easily as dino oil. The recommended time to break in a small engine with dino oil in 50 hours, this was writen by a professor and engineer. My conclusions! Yes, you can use synthetic oil, but break the engine in first with dino oil!! Since you have to change at the same frequency, and there are other risks than can arise from synthetic use (I like my oil to stay in the engine) I do not see any value in using synthetic oil for the application of a snow blower! Please excuse typos, I am using a phone, very hard to read the tiny print!!!
borat

Reply #56   Jan 8, 2011 12:36 pm
carlb wrote:
Borat,

But that one is just a plain old honda GX engine,  not the Jet Powered GX version

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't know that Rolls Royce or General Electric had snow blower engine divisions.  

Wouldn't that be something to see?  An Airbus 380 with a series of Honda snow blower engines hanging from the wings.....  Maybe New Yorker has a picture of one for us to see!

Sometimes, we have to read between the lines and come to the conclusion that some participants in this forum aren't playing with a full deck. 

That's the problem with this type of communication.  If we were sitting in the same room with a certain individual, we'd have addition sensory input to quickly conclude that we're wasting our time trying to carry on a meaningful discussion.  
Steve_Cebu

Reply #57   Jan 8, 2011 1:21 pm
borat wrote:
Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't know that Rolls Royce or General Electric had snow blower engine divisions.  

Wouldn't that be something to see?  An Airbus 380 with a series of Honda snow blower engines hanging from the wings.....  Maybe New Yorker has a picture of one for us to see!

I can assure you that you will never see a pic from New_Yorker of anything that he took himself.

Still it would be cool if someone could photoshop some snowblowers to the wings of an Airbus or even a 747.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
njal

Reply #58   Jan 8, 2011 1:28 pm
Man all this jibber jabber about changing the oil!!
Now you guys are going to make me go outside and change mine!!

But I can tell you this!! I will be using the GOOD OL    DINOSAUR OIL!
haha!!! I hate change dinosaur oil  has done me right!
starwarrior

Reply #59   Jan 8, 2011 9:17 pm
carlb wrote:
I'm a gona buy me one of them there V12Ferrari snowblowers and break it in with mobile1, yep thats a what i'm a gona do.

Well if a Ferrari was in your sights it surely must be a dream since you respectfully would not be concerning yourself with brainfart blogs to discuss snowblower maintinance.

You would be calling on your lawncare shop and simply writing the check. It sounds more to me like there is a Kia Coors Can in your bluestone driveway rather than a Ferrari.

Hee Hee Hee

Starwarrior

Replies: 50 - 59 of 68Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42