Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Massey Ferguson 227 gear box

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
cdmoose

Massey Ferguson 227 gear box
Original Message   Jan 7, 2011 2:59 pm
I was given a Massey Ferguson 227 snow thrower that was a non runner. After doing the carb,starter etc.it is now in good running order. I removed the plug to check the gear box level and found it dry. Does anyone happen to know what type of grease/oil would  it use? It would  appear to be around a 1970-1972 era.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
snowmachine

Re: Massey Ferguson 227 gear box
Reply #1   Jan 7, 2011 5:53 pm
I'd ask my father-in-law who has like 30 tractors "serious tractor collector" but he only knows his JD's and Cockshots. Some collect cars... he collects tractors... pristine and I imagine worth a pretty penny if he sold to the right collector(s).

EDIT: I saw Massey Ferguson and assumed tractor... sorry. My post is even more irrelevant.

This message was modified Jan 7, 2011 by snowmachine
borat

Reply #2   Jan 7, 2011 6:36 pm
snowmachine wrote:
I'd ask my father-in-law who has like 30 tractors "serious tractor collector" but he only knows his JD's and Cockshots. Some collect cars... he collects tractors... pristine and I imagine worth a pretty penny if he sold to the right collector(s).

EDIT: I saw Massey Ferguson and assumed tractor... sorry. My post is even more irrelevant.

I believe that's Cockshutt, not Cockshot. 

Most of those older units probably used hypoid gear oil.  Not sure what viscosity would be required.  I'm sure there some old timers here who can help. 
snowmachine

Reply #3   Jan 7, 2011 8:42 pm
It shows how much I don't know about his tractors :-) borat wrote:
I believe that's Cockshutt, not Cockshot. 

Most of those older units probably used hypoid gear oil.  Not sure what viscosity would be required.  I'm sure there some old timers here who can help. 
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42