Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 826OXE first oil change questions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
stresst

Toro 826OXE first oil change questions
Original Message   Jan 2, 2011 1:55 pm
I would have to assume I already have 5 hours and being its 50 degrees outside, I figure its a great time. When I bought the machine I had the dealer put in B&Stratton 5w30 synthetic oil but it was the last one. Called around to a few places but seems nobondy has it in stock. Do I buy it online or can I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 in its place. My plan was to stick with one oil for the life of the motor. My second question is does this motor have a filter, I would say not. Just trying to make sure. Is there anything else I should do after the first 5 hours?
This message was modified Jan 2, 2011 by stresst

TORO 826OXE
Replies: 17 - 26 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
rubinew

Re: Toro 826OXE first oil change questions
Reply #17   Jan 3, 2011 6:06 pm
stresst wrote:
I would have to assume I already have 5 hours and being its 50 degrees outside, I figure its a great time. When I bought the machine I had the dealer put in B&Stratton 5w30 synthetic oil but it was the last one. Called around to a few places but seems nobondy has it in stock. Do I buy it online or can I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w30 in its place. My plan was to stick with one oil for the life of the motor. My second question is does this motor have a filter, I would say not. Just trying to make sure. Is there anything else I should do after the first 5 hours?

Acording to my friend who works for an engine rebuild company, it takes longer than an hour to break in a motor and seat the rings, etc.

If you are set on using synthetic, that is your choice. I would still think you may want to break it in proper with some good oil first,

Just an opinion,

Good Luck

This message was modified Jan 3, 2011 by rubinew
tkrotchko

Reply #18   Jan 3, 2011 6:23 pm
stresst wrote:
Ok! Now I feel drunk and light headed after reading this enntire thread. lol

When I bought my blower, I asked what oil do they recommend. And they responded by "any 5w30". I asked for an extra quart being I wanted the same oil if I needed to "top it off". When I mentioned synthetic he told me its a little easier to start when its very cold but its personal preferance. He mentioned "many are reading about the advantages online and I only have one left". I asked about breaking in the engine and was told all engines are ran for 1 hour at differant rpms before there sold. So with that I had him drain the oil and replace it with briggs/stratton synthetic. Figured I cant go wrong, NEVERMIND whats 8.50 for a quart of oil after I just spent $1500.00 on the machine.

I just ordered two 32oz containers of briggs synthetic from ebay. I will stick with this stuff for now. Thanks for the replies.

Although Honda does label some engine oil as their own, their blower manual simply says "Use a 4-stroke automotive detergent oil" and in the next paragraph goes on to say "....use API SERVICE category SJ or later (or equivalent)...".

I am not a petroleum or automotive engineer, but here's my take on synthetics: their main advantage for almost any application is their ability to run much longer than conventional oils without losing their ability to lubricate. However, I don't believe these small engines are as fussy as some people like to believe (if they were, every one of these motors would be junk in 3 years), and that given that these engines are so unstressed there is little reason to choose synthetic. With few exceptions, snowblowers get run less than a dozen hours a season. If I ran a business with mine, I'd change the oil more often, but given how little they're used, I change it once a season. At most.

It reminds me of people changing their car oil every 3,000 miles "just to be sure", when the manufacturer's recommendation is 7,500 miles. If it makes you feel better, by all means change your oil over twice as often as necessary. But it is wasting money.

This message was modified Jan 3, 2011 by tkrotchko
trouts2

Reply #19   Jan 3, 2011 7:23 pm
Borat, something seems fishey with "The engine has 155 lbs. cold compression."

"Seems", because I don't know Briggs.  That would be an extreamly high number for a Tecumseh (warm) and would indicate something odd rather than good.  How does a compression test sneak by Briggs compression release?   There are a number of people here with new Briggs-Murray machines.  Mabye a few could post some compression tests. 

On engines alive and kicking after 20 years on dino being proof that dino is good enough is a not much of a qualifier.  Some might say their engine is as tight as the day they bought it but from seeing many older engines I have not seen one has not degraded.  Run, toss and acceptably yes, plenty, but peak no.  I've never seen older excellent engines toss as well as a rebuild or one of the new 6.5 HF OHVs on similar body styles.  I ripped through the cemetary this week with a 7hp rebuild on a Areins ST724 and it was great.  It had not tossed that well in many years.

There is too much published on the added "slipryness" having a positive effect on rings and bore to deny.  How much another question.  No degredation curves for dino or synthetic that I know of.  If anyone has some please post the URL.

This message was modified Jan 3, 2011 by trouts2
borat

Reply #20   Jan 3, 2011 7:55 pm
"Borat, something seems fishey with "The engine has 155 lbs. cold compression.""

Pulled the spark plug, screwed in the compression tester, spun the engine with electric start, reading was 150 psi.   I'm not aware if this engine has a compression release mechanism or not. 

Either way, if you don't believe me, take a compression tester into a dealership with same engine and see if they'll allow you to take a reading on a new 305cc Kool Bore engine.  See for yourself what reading you get.  Please let us know what the compression reads when you do. 

edited to correct compression reading.  It was 150 psi.  not 155 psi.  So, Trouts appears to have reasonable grounds to be suspicious after all.
This message was modified Jan 3, 2011 by borat
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #21   Jan 3, 2011 7:57 pm
As I mentioned before I bought my son a Briggs Powered Simplicity Model#1060DLXE in 2005. The dealer showed me a document that stated if you used Briggs/Simplicity Dealer Line Synthetic OIl it would double your engine warranty.Even at $6 a quart  it seemed like an inexpensive way to score an extended warranty. 

My unit which is powered by an L Head Tecumseh has seen 5-30 Amsoil since new. The advantage of the synthetic is it doesen't get as viscous as the conventional oil in cold temps and therefore flows better. I know that there is less resistance in the starter rope when cold than when I used conventional oil in a previous machine. I store my machine in an unheated shed and when cold using conventional oil it felt like the crank was turning through pudding.  

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
borat

Reply #22   Jan 3, 2011 8:04 pm
It was -24C here this morning.  Machine sits in an unheated garage.   I replaced the spark plug in my B&S engine then took it out to fire it up.  I have not experienced a noticeable difference in pulling effort between synthetic and convention oil of the same viscosity.
trouts2

Reply #23   Jan 3, 2011 8:54 pm
Borat "I'm not aware if this engine has a compression release mechanism or not." It does.

I challanged Friiy on this a long time ago. I later looked into it more and found they all have compression release of one form or another. They have to or you would not be able to pull past the compression stroke or rip your arm in the effort.

The 10hp I used in the cemetery tests has an outstanding engine just about new. It leak-down tests at 7-8% which is super. It compression tests at 60lb. I can spin the engine all day and it won't get beyond 60.

The exhaust valve opens before the piston can get to full extension so it's impossible to get a high reading. Compression release is engaged at very low rpm like starting rope speed. That's how compression releases work.

Depending on the engine either the exhaust or intake valve is raised before the piston can get very far into the compression stroke. That makes it easy to turn the crank. There is enough compression for starting but not full compression at the moment the fire starts.

Once the piston fires the crank immediatly spins at a rapid rate the comression release gets pushed out of the way (on mechanical types) and the engine compression stroke then works normally.

I'm not saying Borat is fishey. I'm saying the test result is fishey.

I don't know Briggs but they have to have CR or manual starting would not be possible.

borat

Reply #24   Jan 3, 2011 9:02 pm
The engine spins fairly fast with electric start.  Maybe there's a possibility the compression release is over-ridden by the speed of the electric start.

Would you like me to do a compression test and take a picture of the reading for you Trouts? 
rubinew

Reply #25   Jan 3, 2011 9:11 pm
Just a thought,

Is it possible that in Borats test, since he was using the 'Electric Start', that the RPMs were high enough to disengage the CR.

This might have given the higher compression that would not be seen with a manual pull???

trouts2

Reply #26   Jan 3, 2011 9:17 pm
   I don't think he would get 155 without electric start so assume he was using electric.  Once CR is ingaged it's impossible to get beyond a certain PSI range, at least on Tecumseh.  I'm not sure about Briggs BUT if CR could kick out at electric start speeds the resistance would be too much for electric start motors which would quickly overheat and crap out.
Replies: 17 - 26 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42