Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Yard Man Snow Thrower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
sferguson326

Yard Man Snow Thrower
Original Message   Dec 31, 2010 3:58 pm
I have a Yard Man Snow Thrower and I sent it for a tune up. When I got it back the repair guy informed me that the controls now work in reverse. To make it run fast, it has to be in the "off" position and reverse to stop it. The guy's telephone is now disconnected and his shop is locked and dark. My thrower has a Tecumseh 7 hp engine. Model number HSK70. It was new in 1997 and was working ok before the tune-up. Is there and type of schematic or drawing that I could get a hold of to see if he has the carb controls backwards?  Please let me know more info about the engine is needed for a reply and I will try and supply. Thanks to anyone that can help!! 
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
trouts2

Re: Yard Man Snow Thrower
Reply #1   Dec 31, 2010 5:02 pm
You can get a parts breakdown at the link below using your model number off the back of the base.  http://www.ordertree.com/modelinfo/MTD/62.1.html

For the engine view get the Tecumseh factory number off the top or side of the cowling.  If top it will be stamped, if side a plate.

http://www.outdoordistributors.com/Tecumseh/tecumseh_part_lists.html

If your machine had a remote throttle he might not have had the right one on hand and installed one with different action which will reverse the control.  I've done that a few times when the right one is not around.  Some of the controls are no longer available or very expensive versus others which will work fine much less expensive but reverse things. 

If no remote throttle and has a lever next to the cowling it might be possible to mix up the link positions but at the monent I can't think of how.

What are the factory numbers of your machine and engine?

borat

Reply #2   Dec 31, 2010 6:09 pm
If the engine is running good, how about switching the turtle and the rabbit?  Easy solution. 
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #3   Dec 31, 2010 10:15 pm
sferguson326 wrote:
I have a Yard Man Snow Thrower and I sent it for a tune up. When I got it back the repair guy informed me that the controls now work in reverse. To make it run fast, it has to be in the "off" position and reverse to stop it. The guy's telephone is now disconnected and his shop is locked and dark. My thrower has a Tecumseh 7 hp engine. Model number HSK70. It was new in 1997 and was working ok before the tune-up. Is there and type of schematic or drawing that I could get a hold of to see if he has the carb controls backwards?  Please let me know more info about the engine is needed for a reply and I will try and supply. Thanks to anyone that can help!! 

Where'd you take it ?  AL BUNDY's Repair Shop ?   Gee, and his phone has been disconnected, and the shop is Dark & Deserted ?  Go Figgure !

He Took The Money and Ran !  The snowblower repair equivalent of an Old New Yorker tradition, The "Dine & Dash!"

You have been Officially, "Ripped Off !"

NOW . . .Call up MTD, and tell them what happened, so they can remove that Bozo from their list, if he ever was on it, and then tell them you need somebody who can FIX their machine who happens to be competent.

mikiewest

Reply #4   Dec 31, 2010 10:18 pm
dine and dash might be your tradition not a new yorker tradition. were u raised by thieves??
This message was modified Dec 31, 2010 by mikiewest
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #5   Dec 31, 2010 10:40 pm
mikiewest wrote:
dine and dash might be your tradition not a new yorker tradition. were u raised by thieves??

Really smart ones, we call'm Lawyers, they'ree who keep raising your taxes, while they always cut mine.   Here in NY we know how to spot a rube, comin' or goin', they tend to pick names like mikiewest.  Makes'm impossible to miss.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42