Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens a BIG disappointment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
billywhiskers

Ariens a BIG disappointment
Original Message   Dec 31, 2010 12:49 pm
I'm kicking off my fourth season with my Ariens ST11528DLE snowblower. For years I put up with an inexpensive MTD which had something or other falling apart nearly every time I used it, all the while promising myself that next time I'd spend more money and get a quality machine. I heard an

awful lot of people saying that apart from the super expensive Hondas, the Ariens were the best. So when the time came I shelled out nearly $2500 for this 11.5 HP, 28" Ariens "Pro" model that I was sure would be like going from a Chevette to a Rolls Royce. I couldn't have been more wrong .

First off I will say that the thing does throw the snow a long ways compared to my old MTD. However in three full seasons and the first two storms of this season I've had the following problems with this expensive piece of crap: the metal engine cowling split apart from vibration and had to be replaced only a few weeks after I bought it. The replacement did the same thing so I got that one welded and reinforced. The headlight quit working and the wiring harness had to be replaced. Both of the engagament levers have split open at their pivot points and had to be welded. The tension spring on the wheel engagement cable broke. As if all of this isn't enough on a practically new machine, yesterday the electric starter wouldn't engage and I thought it must be frozen up. On closer inspection the starter has broken clear of the engine, and the ear with the bolt hole has broken off one side of the starter and the bolt is gone altogether. The starter body is just sort of hanging loosely by one bolt. Obviously this is off warranty by now and it looks like a costly repair.

Besides being extremely frustraing I find this sad. Ariens has had a very solid reputation and now it is clear that their priorirty has shifted from maintaining that reputation to cutting their production cost by using cheap materials and parts. For the unsuspecting buyer the feeling of pride of ownership is replaced by disappointment and hostility, and understandably so. If Ariens loses just one sale because of this product review my time in writing it will be made worthwhile.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2011 by billywhiskers
Replies: 34 - 43 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: Ariens a BIG disappointment
Reply #34   Jan 5, 2011 9:40 am
Paul7 wrote:
And I guarantee you that I'll be right there with you.  I'm saving my father's old 7hp Snow Bird circa 1980.   Talk about being built like a tank.  Cast Iron everything, grease fitting everywhere, and in 30 years has never needed a repair outside of normal maintenance.  I currently don't have the knowledge on small engines to be as competent as I'd like.  My most ambitious repair to date was changing the points and condenser on my Ariens front tine rototiller.  So a total re-power job may be over my head right now but I started taking an online small engine repair course to fix that.  It's not a money thing...I made my money and can easily afford to buy whatever toys I want to own.  I'm fearful that sounded like bragging but I didn't mean it that way.   I just wanted to make the point that even with significant resources I'm unwilling to pay for junk...no matter how fancy that junk may appear.  So manufacturers can keep on looking for ways to use plastic instead of steel, aluminum instead of cast iron, and engines that don't know what horsepower they are...and I will keep on refusing to buy their products.  Especially so for those manufacturers who forgot what customer service means.  

We pretty much share the same circumstances and values.   I've been buying used stuff over the last year or so.   Mostly small two cycle equipment in decent shape, needing a little work.  As you said, not because I cannot afford new stuff, but for reasons you stated above.  I also enjoy buying someone else' "junk" and turning it back into useful OPE which I will use myself or just give it to someone who needs it.  I also appreciate the fact that I don't pay HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) on any of it either. 

Getting back to the OP, I suggest he make every effort to isolate the source of vibration before it causes serious damage to the chassis.   Otherwise, it won't be suitable to re-power.
Paul7

Reply #35   Jan 5, 2011 2:54 pm
Shryp wrote:
Generally a repower is easier than points and condensor job. 

Shryp, that's good to know.  Frankly the only reason I was able to get my engine back together was because I took pictures with a digital camera every step of the way.  It was a big job for me.  I wasn't getting spark because spiders got into the engine and the points were covered with those big white sticky spider cocoons. 

Borat I just bought a well used 1987 John Deere SX75 rear engine rider and I'm refurbishing it back to it's shiny showroom glory...literally down to the decals.  Back in 1987 I really wanted one but was I barely making ends meet and couldn't afford it.  So 24 years later I'm going to have my little rider.  The irony is that it will end up costing me more than the original sticker price when it's all said and done. 

Regarding the vibration I do know that the Tecumseh 13hp OHV engine that Ariens used was counter-balanced and should be the smoothest engine in their whole product line.  Is it possible that the counter-balance is out of whack. 
billywhiskers

Reply #36   Jan 7, 2011 1:16 pm
Just to update my ongoing problems with my Ariens Pro, I spent most of the morning at the dealership and ended up buying a new starter which cost me with taxes, over $170.  I asked the dealer if he'd seen this before and he said it happens quite often and described it as one their weaknesses. ( not sure if he meant a weakness of Ariens in particular, or a weakness of the Tecumseh starters)  They were very busy and while I was waiting I spoke with several guys who were also waiting for service and when I told one guy about how both of the engagement levers had broken and had to be welded he said, " oh don't talk to me about the levers! I've got an Ariens and the levers are broken half the time" .  So it looks like the problems I've had are no great rarity with these machines. I stand by what I believed to be true all along: The older machines that they built their reputation on were solidly built and pretty much reliable. Now, even if you pay the premium price for a " Pro " model like I did, what you get is a machine that has been seriously compromised by corner cutting.  The engagement levers are flimsy and that's why they break. If they were a few thousandths thicker there wouldn't be a problem with them but obviously they'd cost a few cents more to make. Same goes for the engine cowling part that cracked open.

There is another general problem common to all of the North American blowers I've seen and that is a disconnect between the chassis manufacturer and engine manufacturer.  If you buy a Honda blower it is mounted with a Honda engine...same story with Yamaha. To me it makes a lot of sense for the manufacturer to have quality control over every part of the machine they are producing. With Tecemseh out of the picture is there any other choice of engine besides Briggs&Stratten on any of the American or Canadian made machines?  The dealer was helping another guy load a new Simplicity on his truck and got me to translate a warning for the guy not to pull too hard on the recoil starter when the B&S engine is cold. Apparently they're having trouble with the new 'plastic' assembly breaking. More corner cutting.

I can live with paying a bit more in order to have good quality, after all, material cost have gone up and labor costs rise. But what we see all the time now is that prices go way up while quality goes way down. That I have a big problem with.

This message was modified Jan 7, 2011 by billywhiskers
Paul7

Reply #37   Jan 7, 2011 3:52 pm
billywhiskers wrote:
 I stand by what I believed to be true all along: The older machines that they built their reputation on were solidly built and pretty much reliable. Now, even if you pay the premium price for a " Pro " model like I did, what you get is a machine that has been seriously compromised by corner cutting.

There is another general problem common to all of the North American blowers I've seen and that is a disconnect between the chassis manufacturer and engine manufacturer.....With Tecemseh out of the picture is there any other choice of engine besides Briggs&Stratten on any of the American or Canadian made machines? 

I can live with paying a bit more in order to have good quality, after all, material cost have gone up and labor costs rise. But what we see all the time now is that prices go way up while quality goes way down. That I have a big problem with.

I can't hep but comment again as this is a pet peeve of mine.  I feel that anytime a manufacturer labels a product "Pro" it should be just that...made to be used professionally.  For a snow blower that means by someone who clears snow for a living and runs his/her equipment all day long.  And it should be made to take abuse without breaking.  But no...the manufacturers simply put a "Pro" or "Industrial" or"Commercial" label on a machine that's not much different from a "homeowners" model and jack up the price.

There was a time when that distinction was meaningful.  I own an Ariens LM 21S lawn mowers and an Ariens Pro 21" mower.  The difference between them is substantial.  Steel wheels instead of nylon, heavier gauge steel components, grease fittings everywhere, a Robins engine with oil filter instead of a Briggs, etc.  The "Pro" model mower costs more but was made to last.  Not so with the Ariens "Pro" snow blowers...or those levers would be made out of thicker steel.

Regarding your question of motor alternatives to Briggs I would think that Kawasaki or Subaru would be acceptable options.
This message was modified Jan 9, 2011 by Paul7
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #38   Jan 7, 2011 5:01 pm
That just bites.  When I purchased my machine the difference between the PRO and the LE was Cast iron gear case, OHV engine , 12 volt car type electric start, and much much beefier tires and wheels.  If I had your machine I would get it running good and sell it.  Take the hit and buy another machine after reading touching and talking.  Buy something you will be happy about.   It sucks to take a big hit but sometimes its better to loose a little cash and be happy rather than curse and yell everytime you use it.  Anger will shorten your life.  LIFE IS GOOD so enjoy it while we can

lseap107

Reply #39   Jan 9, 2011 12:29 pm
Sorry to hear about all your trouble with your Ariens. I was considering purchasing a Pro model myself but I think I am leaning towards a Honda instead. I spoke to my Ariens dealer and he ordered two of the 921013 models with Subaru Robin engines and he and both of the customers that purchased them swear by the motors. The customers said they have more power and are quieter than the Briggs. I called Ariens to see if I could order a blower for next year with the Subaru engine and they said no. They only sell a compact model with the Subaru engine. I had more questions but they told me I should ask my dealer. Ariens is very reluctant to transfer you to someone that knows snowblowers. After, demanding to talk to someone that knows snowblowers instead of a women in customer service, they transfered me to Tech support. I waited on hold for 10 minutes and nobody picked up. I left a message. I bet they don't call me back. Bottom line, I am selling my 4 year old Ariens 926 and not going to purchase another one. Probably go with a Honda. Yes, it's a lot of money but it will probably be the last snow blower I buy.
Paul7

Reply #40   Jan 9, 2011 2:14 pm
lseap107 wrote:
 I called Ariens to see if I could order a blower for next year with the Subaru engine and they said no. They only sell a compact model with the Subaru engine.

There's only two reason I can think of that would limit Ariens to the Briggs on their larger machines.   Either they have contractually committed to a certain volume with Briggs to get pricing...or they fell that Subaru's largest snow engine at 9.5hp may be underpowered for their largest buckets.
billywhiskers

Reply #41   Jan 11, 2011 11:56 am
I had my Ariens out this morning so I thought I'd take a few pics to illustrate some of the problems I've had wirth it.  These show where both of the engagement levers broke and have been welded, where the corner of the engine cowling cracked....twice, and had to be welded. There's a pic of a left side cable tension spring which I had to replace and as for the starter, you can see what was left it when they took it off and put a new one on for $170.

This message was modified Jan 12, 2011 by billywhiskers
tkrotchko

Reply #42   Jan 11, 2011 8:43 pm
That's not very impressive. Is this machine kept indoors or outdoors when its not in use?
billywhiskers

Reply #43   Jan 11, 2011 9:09 pm
This machine has never spent a night outdoors since I bought it. When I'm finished using it I sweep it clean and it goes in the unheated shed. Any place that has been welded is oxidized, but at least none of the welds have broken. After this season is over I may take the welded parts off, clean them up and paint them with anti-rust paint. Of course by that time there will no doubt be some more wounds and bandages to further ruin the appearance of the machine. Some of what you're looking at is lithium grease which I put on various friction points to try and ward off further breakages.
Replies: 34 - 43 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42