Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens a BIG disappointment

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
billywhiskers

Ariens a BIG disappointment
Original Message   Dec 31, 2010 12:49 pm
I'm kicking off my fourth season with my Ariens ST11528DLE snowblower. For years I put up with an inexpensive MTD which had something or other falling apart nearly every time I used it, all the while promising myself that next time I'd spend more money and get a quality machine. I heard an

awful lot of people saying that apart from the super expensive Hondas, the Ariens were the best. So when the time came I shelled out nearly $2500 for this 11.5 HP, 28" Ariens "Pro" model that I was sure would be like going from a Chevette to a Rolls Royce. I couldn't have been more wrong .

First off I will say that the thing does throw the snow a long ways compared to my old MTD. However in three full seasons and the first two storms of this season I've had the following problems with this expensive piece of crap: the metal engine cowling split apart from vibration and had to be replaced only a few weeks after I bought it. The replacement did the same thing so I got that one welded and reinforced. The headlight quit working and the wiring harness had to be replaced. Both of the engagament levers have split open at their pivot points and had to be welded. The tension spring on the wheel engagement cable broke. As if all of this isn't enough on a practically new machine, yesterday the electric starter wouldn't engage and I thought it must be frozen up. On closer inspection the starter has broken clear of the engine, and the ear with the bolt hole has broken off one side of the starter and the bolt is gone altogether. The starter body is just sort of hanging loosely by one bolt. Obviously this is off warranty by now and it looks like a costly repair.

Besides being extremely frustraing I find this sad. Ariens has had a very solid reputation and now it is clear that their priorirty has shifted from maintaining that reputation to cutting their production cost by using cheap materials and parts. For the unsuspecting buyer the feeling of pride of ownership is replaced by disappointment and hostility, and understandably so. If Ariens loses just one sale because of this product review my time in writing it will be made worthwhile.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2011 by billywhiskers
Replies: 14 - 23 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
iLikeOrange

Re: Ariens a BIG disappointment
Reply #14   Jan 1, 2011 11:28 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
That is why I put a  wink there, just having fun, Toro is built well but I did say Ariens shouldn't have that many problems.  You are too serious.

My bad I missed the wink totally.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #15   Jan 1, 2011 1:40 pm
iLikeOrange wrote:
My bad I missed the wink totally.

No snow for you then!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
billywhiskers

Reply #16   Jan 1, 2011 7:55 pm
Borat wrote: " Does your engine transmit vibration to the handles at high rpms while not under load? "

Well no, not that I've noticed. And as I mentioned, I don't notice any more vibration on this snowblower than on the the MTD it replaced, or on the much older Craftsman blower I had before that. Both of those had 10HP Tecumsehs and both of those engines shook themselves apart over time. The Ariens has a bigger engine and OHV and I was sure that it woud be a much smoother engine but it isn't particularily smooth under load. Nice and smooth before the governor kicks in and then it shudders in exactly the same way as the other two Tecumseh equipped blowers I've owned. ( and this Ariens cost about double what I paid for the MTD)  I don't know if the Briggs and Strattens are any better in that regard. I also bought an Ariens 27 ton log splitter last summer with a Subaru engine on it and although it's early days that seems like a really solidly built, smooth running little engine and it remains smooth under load.

I'm womdering if a Briggs & Stratten engine would fit on my Ariens blower without modification to the chassis.  Over the years I've owned several pieces of equipment with B&S engines ( lawn tractors, push mowers, a tiller ) and to me they're always seemed like better quality than the Tecumsehs. But I'm not an expert and that's just my impression.

This message was modified Jan 1, 2011 by billywhiskers
borat

Reply #17   Jan 1, 2011 8:17 pm
billywhiskers wrote:
Borat wrote: " Does your engine transmit vibration to the handles at high rpms while not under load? "

Well no, not that I've noticed. And as I mentioned, I don't notice any more vibration on this snowblower than on the the MTD it replaced, or on the much older Craftsman blower I had before that. Both of those had 10HP Tecumsehs and both of those engines shook themselves apart over time. The Ariens has a bigger engine and OHV and I was sure that it woud be a much smoother engine but it isn't particularily smooth under load. Nice and smooth before the governor kicks in and then it shudders in exactly the same way as the other two Tecumseh equipped blowers I've owned. ( and this Ariens cost about double what I paid for the MTD)  I don't know if the Briggs and Strattens are any better in that regard. I also bought an Ariens 27 ton log splitter last summer with a Subaru engine on it and although it's early days that seems like a really solidly built, smooth running little engine and it remains smooth under load.

I'm womdering if a Briggs & Stratten engine would fit on my Ariens blower without modification to the chassis.  Over the years I've owned several pieces of equipment with B&S engines ( lawn tractors, push mowers, a tiller ) and to me they're always seemed like better quality than the Tecumsehs. But I'm not an expert and that's just my impression.

If you go to: http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/, you will see their list of B&S snow engines.  Most of them have downloadable files that give dimensional detail diagrams, bolt pattern and even operator's manuals.  You can also contact them to verify if there would be any issues concerning re-powering to a different engine.   I know that some engines need spacer plates installed under them to get the drive pulley(s) to the correct height.  The plate may also be made available if required. 

I'm sure there are participants in this forum that might be able to give you more info concerning a B&S engine conversion.
bus708

Reply #18   Jan 1, 2011 10:17 pm
I'm sorry to here you are having so much trouble.When did you buy it? I don't see a ST11528DLE listed at Ariens. Is it old?  My Ariens is 15 years old. Still looks and runs freakin great. Who put your machine together. If it was Home Depoit they are known for shotty  assemblies . You must have a bad vibration problem. Check all your bolts especially your engine mounts.Take a good close look at your frame for cracks. If they refuse Then call Ariens.   If  unit is under warranty so they must fix it or replace it.   I think it was very poorly set up. Your levers should never be that tight. I bet it so tight your friction disk plate bent. Go read your set up manual, If you don't have one they are on line at Ariens. 
       Put your machine on blocks , remove your belt cover and your disk cover. Run your machine and look for anything vibrating or bent. Look also for things making noise and try to isolate it. You should not here anything other than your engine , a churp from your auger belt, and  a  small rattle from your cables. NO BIG VIBRATION
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #19   Jan 2, 2011 9:35 am
I agree, I have an 1128 pro 2003 tecumseh ohv and it runs as smooth as can be.  No cracks, No problems at all.  What model is your machine? 924508? 924XXX 932XXX ?  Sticker on back of tractor.  Post your model and serial.

tkrotchko

Reply #20   Jan 2, 2011 9:36 am
bus708 wrote:
I'm sorry to here you are having so much trouble.When did you buy it? I don't see a ST11528DLE listed at Ariens. Is it old?  My Ariens is 15 years old. Still looks and runs freakin great. Who put your machine together. If it was Home Depoit they are known for shotty  assemblies . You must have a bad vibration problem. Check all your bolts especially your engine mounts.Take a good close look at your frame for cracks. If they refuse Then call Ariens.   If  unit is under warranty so they must fix it or replace it.   I think it was very poorly set up. Your levers should never be that tight. I bet it so tight your friction disk plate bent. Go read your set up manual, If you don't have one they are on line at Ariens. 
       Put your machine on blocks , remove your belt cover and your disk cover. Run your machine and look for anything vibrating or bent. Look also for things making noise and try to isolate it. You should not here anything other than your engine , a churp from your auger belt, and  a  small rattle from your cables. NO BIG VIBRATION

Most of the stuff you mention is already pre-assembled at the factory. You don't have dealers mounting engines or levers. Basically, the factory builds most of it and the don't assemble the stuff that would make the box too big. They leave that to the dealer, but its pretty simple stuff like handles, chutes, drift cutters. Most of your advice is very good, basic trouble-shooting, however.
kderobertis

Reply #21   Jan 2, 2011 10:23 am
Since we are talking about vibration within Arien models, the biggest issue I had with my 2004 624 was with the excessive vibration, that would eventually move my chute location all the time.  I ended up wrapping bungy cords around the chute adjustment arm to keep it in place and eventually sold it this summer for a 2011 Honda HS928TA.

Ken

Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Reply #22   Jan 2, 2011 11:02 am
My Ariens chute was very easy to move like yours so I added some thick grease to the worm gear and it stopped the problem.  I also have had several Honda's and they all did the same thing.  What I did to correct it on the honda was to remove one of the plates that hold the chute on and bent it down just a touch and remounted it.  Put just a bit of tension on the chute and fixed it.  

billywhiskers

Reply #23   Jan 3, 2011 12:51 pm
Knee_Biter wrote:
I agree, I have an 1128 pro 2003 tecumseh ohv and it runs as smooth as can be.  No cracks, No problems at all.  What model is your machine? 924508? 924XXX 932XXX ?  Sticker on back of tractor.  Post your model and serial.

The model number is 926016, but the blower is a 2007. I was thinking it was 2008 but it's a year older than I thought. Mind you last winter we had almost no snow so it only got out of the shed about three times. Nonetheless, it's off waranty and I'll have to buy a new starter for it out of pocket unless the dealer makes some sort of benevolent gesture. I was planning to drive out there with the blower today but we're having a minor snowstorm. ( which means I need my blower so I hope using it without the starter bolted on won't hurt it )

I must say that the first time I used this machine it impressed the hell out of me...finally a blower that would blow the snow far enough that none of it would have to be gone over a second time to be clear of it.  But the honeymoon fizzled as soon as things started to break. I don;t think this one vibrates any more than the other two I've owned with Tecumseh engines ( which was plenty...enough to loosen both the muffler bolts and the carburator bolts on the MTD) , unless it's high frequency vibration that is less noticeable to the operator. I'm just wondering if the whole problem started with improperly tightened bolts on the starter. Being fairly inaccesable and hidden those bolts may have been loose for a long time without my being aware of it. Of the four metal mounting tabs on the starter one is boken off altoghter and at least two other are cracked. Maybe that set up a vibration that spread and affected other parts of the machine.

This message was modified Jan 3, 2011 by billywhiskers
Replies: 14 - 23 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42