Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS 928TAS Commercial Skid Shoes

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Honda HS 928TAS Commercial Skid Shoes
Original Message   Dec 20, 2010 6:01 pm
I purchased and installed the Commercial Skid Shoes on the New Honda HS 928TAS tracked snowblower.   If you are considering this, here is what you should know.  YOU have to locate, center-punch and drill  4 -  1/8" pilot holes, then open them up with an 11/32" steel drill.  The bolts and lock-nuts Honda supplies are plain steel, as in they should rust together fairly quick on the bottom front of the machine.  If you hope to ever adjust them again, or remove them go to www.allensfasteners.com and order 8 mm X 20 SS Hex Bolts, lock washers, fender washers, and lock-nuts also made of SS.  Then you can trash the Honda quick rust serrated flange bolts, and nuts the Commercial Skid Shoes come with, Honda Gypped me on the washers they were supposed to have in the kit, you'll havta buy your own.  I chose 8 mm SS fender washers to secure the shoes in place.

When the light decision is made, I'll let you know how it goes.

Replies: 12 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
chefwong

Re: Honda HS 928TAS Commercial Skid Shoes
Reply #12   Dec 28, 2010 4:34 pm
Hey New Yorker :

How are those MODS/tweaks coming along.
Post some pics when you get a chance.

I think modding snowblowers in the winters is as close to modding cars I can get during the warmer months ;-)

BTW, any concern with the semi heavy bucket and the 8MM SS bolt....
I'd be inclinced to use supplied hardware. As long as you are properly keeping the chassis waxed, lubed & or weatherproofing treatment, it should be fine to a degree.
And, it will be stronger than the SS bolts...
This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by chefwong
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #13   Dec 28, 2010 11:17 pm
New Yorker- I seem to remember you live on Long Island. Stop at Graingers and pick up a jar of Marine Grade Anti Seize by Loc-Tite . I've been using it for years on blowers,mowers ,cars,motorcycles,outboards,fishing reels etc. The stuff can't be beat for insuring disassembly of threaded connectors. 

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #14   Dec 29, 2010 10:32 am
The Commercial Skid Shoes seem to be the better way to support the auger casing.  The uneven ground would cause te ends to scrape if I were to have used the rear mounted skid shoes.  On a smooth level surface they might be fine, but not on uneven gravel, and a slope which describes my driveway.  No need to use anything on stainless steel bolts and lock nuts once they are installed, they always work great.  I have a heavily plowed, heavily salted road that makes the snowblower vulnerable to the corrosive salt, hence my obsession with SS fasteners especially where the machine scrapes along the ground.  When I get the Mods finished i'll take a few pictures.
Replies: 12 - 14 of 14Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42