Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens eating belts

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
brjl

Ariens eating belts
Original Message   Dec 28, 2010 10:36 am
Ariens 11528DLE

I purchased this sno blower two years ago and I am about ready to install my third auger belt. Anyone else having this problem?

Thought I was buying top of the line, my fathers vintage 1970's Ariens refuses to die and is still throwing snow like new. Very frustrated. Cold weather and no garage is no time to be replacing belts.

Brian

Replies: 4 - 13 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
brjl

Re: Ariens eating belts
Reply #4   Dec 28, 2010 11:14 am
Shryp wrote:
Are you using OEM belts or generic belts from an auto parts store?

3 does seem excessive.

Do you have the belt adjusted way too loose so it is slipping and burning?

Does the impeller freeze up between uses and burn the belt when you go to use it next time?

Was it routed correctly around the brake?

Are you running it very hard into very heavy snow?

I guess I should be more specific, they are not really getting eaten, just stretched to the point where I have to adjust the pully to the far end to make the blower blow snow, then it stretches some more and wont blow. There are no signes of belt fragments anywhere. The second belt was a belt from a parts store. The pulleys look like they are aligned. The unit is only two years old, you not think that things would be that far out of whack, even after the first winter.
Shryp

Reply #5   Dec 28, 2010 11:39 am
If it was a cheap belt that was not power rated some stretching is to be expected.  Also new belts have a break in period after which you should re-adjust the tension.  Also, if you are using generic belts maybe they measured it wrong?  I hope you at least looked up the Ariens OEM number to get the belt size.  You could try using a belt slightly shorter.
This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by Shryp
starwarrior

Reply #6   Dec 28, 2010 12:16 pm
After 3 belts I would suspect an alignment problem but you also need to make sure you get the correct belt.

The belts for utility equipment are usually green. Another issue is if something hits and buggers up one of the pullies or

the belt is slipping when it is engaged. It is either chunks of rubber or a burned belt may offer a clue.

You have to really check the entire drive mechanism.

Starwarrior

jrtrebor

Reply #7   Dec 28, 2010 12:50 pm
Are you sure that when you are installing the new belt on the large impeller shaft pulley.  That you are getting the belt in the groove underneath the pulley brake? Not over the top of it.
The blower will still operate with the belt over the brake.  But it's only a matter of time before the belt will fail. Just a thought.
This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by jrtrebor
Catt

Reply #8   Dec 28, 2010 12:54 pm
Post a few pictures of your pulleys and belt.  That could help a little.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #9   Dec 28, 2010 1:32 pm
brjl-Copy the seral # off the plate or sticker on your machine and call Ariens. I can't be specific and I may be entirely wrong but there was I think some discussion a few years ago on a 28" Ariens unit with belt issues. If my memory is wrong I apologize to both you and Ariens.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #10   Dec 28, 2010 3:26 pm
I can't get the link to come up. It is from October of 2009. There is a dual belt kit for the 11528 auger drive. I will try to get the link to show..

Marc

I can't get the link to come up but the story is this- Ariens has an accessory kit #72600700 that fits 8.5-11.5 Tec. powered machines as well as  Briggs powered 926xxx machines. It was designed for 2005-2006 units and became standard on the 2007. If you would like to read the whole thread Google "Ariens twin belt kit". The second listing is the thread here on Abby's that you need to read. Snowmann's response in the thread is #2 so don't forget to click on "all" or you will see only reponses #5-14.Snowmann's reponse has the info you need..

Marc

This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
brjl

Reply #11   Dec 28, 2010 4:50 pm
Thanks for your  help, I am going to purchase an authentic Ariens belt in the next few days and checking the alignment of the pullys.

Thanks again

Brian

This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by brjl
trouts2

Reply #12   Dec 28, 2010 5:03 pm
>>>The second belt was a belt from a parts store.

Auto belts at a parts place are made different than OPE belts you would get at a hardware store.  The OPE belts have a strengthened backing for OPE use.  Hardware stores often carry a couple of types of different quality in common sizes.   I have never had a problem with the lower cost belts and occasionally use the more expensive belts both of which are less expensive than a manf's belt.    One Murray belt was $42 which was $9 at the hardware store. 

Get the part number of your belt at the Ariens site and google it.  You'll get hits for various belt places and many list the size.  All belts I get for Ariens machines are hardware store belts and work fine.

This message was modified Dec 28, 2010 by trouts2
jrtrebor

Reply #13   Dec 28, 2010 5:08 pm
I buy all my belts at Advanced Auto.  They sell a line of OPE belts. They are pretty heavy duty and I've never had a problem with them.  They usually run about. $9.50 each.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42