Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > First Blizzard of the year!!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
njal

First Blizzard of the year!!
Original Message   Dec 26, 2010 8:59 am
Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas.

I'm ready for our first BLIZZARD of the year!

My honda and snapper are ready to rock and roll!!!

Replies: 6 - 15 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jyanno

Re: First Blizzard of the year!!
Reply #6   Dec 26, 2010 6:17 pm
Starting to get windy out there its already blowing in a couple of directions.  What do you think, one run tonight and another in the morning?
aa335

Reply #7   Dec 26, 2010 6:21 pm
I'm starting to lose faith in weather.com and any weather prediction.  With millions of dollars in doppler radar equipment and state of the art computation, they should be at least 80% accurate. 

Where's my snow???
njal

Reply #8   Dec 26, 2010 6:34 pm
jyanno wrote:
Starting to get windy out there its already blowing in a couple of directions.  What do you think, one run tonight and another in the morning?

I'm thinking the same thing!

I'm itcin to start that puppy up!!

aa335

Reply #9   Dec 26, 2010 6:43 pm
njal wrote:
I'm thinking the same thing!

I'm itcin to start that puppy up!!

Same here.  There's only so many cold starts you can do inside a garage until the neighbors catches on.  :)
trouts2

Reply #10   Dec 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Gentlemen.......... start your engines.

It's looking like the best conditions in a long time.  Very cold, dry and 10-18 expected in centeral eastern Mass.  

The marketing guys spec machine distance at the low side for cover.  3 to 45 feet.  Three being safe from their point of vew.  But the high side usually a fanticy.  Maybe not.  They have to spec fairly honestly so how to they get those big numbers?  The must test in the very best of conditions.  But what are those:

The best texture of snow.  The best texture of snow would would not happen often over years in most places. 

The best quantity of snow texture so density and height would be a target with texture.

Once you have the target texture and quantitiy from density and height you have to get it in and out in the best way.   The drive speed becomes critical so the speed selector set at the optimal travel speed regardless of bucket spill over the top or too the side.  That's not a factor in a distance test.  So specific speed a key contributor to the mix.

Engine RPM is set to the best advantage which is the high side of the rating.  Most are 3600 +-200 so the marketing guys have the techs set testing machines at 3800 on the noze. 

The result of the above produces the greatest tossing distance and the high figure for marketing claims.  

Is that what everyone will get with their machine?  Many think so.  The high side is a marketing reality based fanticy.  BUT, this storm could give us all a chance to come close to marketing conditions.   Good light snow, cold, not even the salt in the road will have its usual effect.  Going through EOD this storm will be cake compared to lesser wet snow that always happens here.  The machines here are tweaked to MAX REV+ and ready.   

Since getting an HS80 with a bogus bucket it's been frustraing not being able to get it ready.   To aleviate withdrawals a few machines were picked up and sweet they are.   Two tracks 11 and 6hp.  The 624 is nice as it a version that is a junior of the 1132.  It has the same components only in a junior size.  Other 6's were a completely different design.  This one is pure Honda and shares blood line with other true Hondas.  All the important components "where used" return all its big brothers. 

The 6 is backed up by an HS724 L-head G300 which is the earlier version of the GX so has the same features.  It sounds great and just like the newer OHV's.  It's a wheeled and unlike the other two which are hydro drive it uses a friction disk.  It's about the best disk setup in the business and only cowtow's to Yamaha.   Some wide wheels were around so got mounted and a nice addition.  It's so nice it's already made me drop my lust for tracks.  Next in line is an HS928 which I think is the biggest motor you can get in a wheeled version. 

Gassed and pointed at snow the sled dog in the Honda is ready to go.  This storm will probalby net the high water mark for a few machines kicking around this year.  For comparison there are 3 1028s here and a 1030.  The snow should be excellent for at least three days before temps get above 30 so lots of test time. Throw in to the neighbors drive then toss it back in yours.  Keep it going for days.

njal

Reply #11   Dec 26, 2010 8:48 pm
Outstanding post!!

You just motavited me to go out and start my engine!

chefwong

Reply #12   Dec 26, 2010 9:24 pm
pfftttt. Tonnage of light powder stuff.

I want that heavy wet snow that I so fondly remember so I can see how things benchmark.
Ha, I'm sure the latter prefers the powder...
shiva916

Reply #13   Dec 26, 2010 9:32 pm
We're supposed to get 12-18" here, I was out blowing about 3 hours ago and we had about 8" or so of pretty wet snow. The compact 22 handled that quite well, and the subaru sx17 had more power than I thought it would. Was easily outdoing my old 5.5 Tec L-head. Been hearing some sleet on the window the the last few hours so it's bound to get heavier. The EOD had a few piles just under the top of the bucket  16-18"? from the plow in spots and no problem at all throwing at least 1015' keeping the chute aiming down due to the wind. Few more inches on the ground since the last time i was out but I will wait till morning to fire it up again.
MN_Runner

Reply #14   Dec 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Trouts: You look more than ready for the 2010 blizzard with your army of fine snowblowers.  I hope we are done with the snow in Minnesota so I can wash and wax my pretty snowblower and put it away for the next winter.
njal

Reply #15   Dec 26, 2010 10:24 pm
I just gave it a quick blast with my 7 hp snapper ,it was a blast.

I'll take the honda out in the AM

Replies: 6 - 15 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42