Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Replaced auger belt on 2 stage snow blower, auger still not turning, even shuts engine off.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
SSSJ

Replaced auger belt on 2 stage snow blower, auger still not turning, even shuts engine off.
Original Message   Dec 5, 2010 10:14 am
Just moved to North Dakota from the West Coast. First winter here with little kids, long driveway, hubby deployed, so bought a $150 second hand Yard Machine 2 stage snow thrower, model# 611. First time it ran just fine. Second time was fine till the auger suddenly stopped spinning (engine still runs and thrower still moves fine). Stopped the engine, disconnect spark plug. Found no blockage. shear bolds are still all there. Tried to turn spiral blades by hand and they don't move. Researched on line, found user manual and read up all related articles about auger problems. Open up the covers and found severed auger belt. Replaced with new belt OEM-754-0430A, which fits snugly on the pulley. Now start the engine, engage the drive, move back/forth fine just like before. However whenever engage the auger, not only neither stage would spin but the engine shuts off. Tried a few more times, same thing. What else could be wrong with the thrower? If you can offer insights please tried to be specific or give links. It took me almost a week to finally get a chance to go out and purchase the auger belt. Thank you so much for reading!!!
Replies: 13 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
SSSJ

Now one set of the shear bolt and nuts are gone...
Reply #13   Dec 25, 2010 3:22 am
Yard Machine Model#: 31B-611D352 So I'll need Shear Bolt 710-0890A 5/16-18 x 1.5, and Hex Lock Nuts 712-0429 5/16-18 Where's a good place to buy and how many more should I get as back ups? Thank you!!!
Shryp

Re: Replaced auger belt on 2 stage snow blower, auger still not turning, even shuts engine off.
Reply #14   Dec 25, 2010 3:42 am
Don't have experience with your particular blower, so I did some quick online searching for the part number.
These are two places I have ordered from before.

(1) = $0.86: http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/41-8627.html
(4) = $6.59: http://www.amazon.com/Arnold-OEM-710-0890-Thrower-Replaces-710-0890/dp/B000BPNVDC   *Note: Picture shows 4, but I don't see a quantity listed anywhere*

You can never have too many :)

If you have only the 2 in the blower now, they will both break the next time you use it.  If you have 20 sitting in the garage, you will never need them.
I would say maybe keep 5-10 around just incase you have a bad spell.  I only broke one last year, but that was in an old Toro that used regular bolts.
For all I know it could have just vibrated itself loose as it disappeared all on its own without me hitting anything, at least at that time.

You are probably just going to have to look around and see where you can get the best deal for the cheapest price and don't forget to add in shipping.
If you are already ordering some stuff from somewhere, you can probably add them too for minimal cost.

If you are in a hurry or like supporting local businesses, you should be able to pick them up at any small engine repair place, hardware store, or some place like Home Depot.
Just make sure to get shear bolts and not regular bolts, however I have read that grade 2 bolts can sometimes be used as replacements.  Grade 5 and grade 8 are no nos.
borat

Re: Replaced auger belt on 2 stage snow blower, auger still not turning, even shuts engine off.
Reply #15   Dec 25, 2010 9:33 am
Go to a hardware store and bring in a piece of your broken shear pin.  Ask them for an equivalent size bolt of low grade steel that can be substituted for the shear pin.  Also  ask for a few  nylock nuts to go with the bolts.  That will cost you a fraction of what a dealer will charge for shear pins.  I've used them with no problems.  Just make sure they are low grade steel.
Replies: 13 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42