Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Looking to buy a backpack blower.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Adamj

Looking to buy a backpack blower.
Original Message   Dec 22, 2010 11:46 pm
Which is better the Echo PB 770 or Stihl Br 600 Prices are Canadian Echo 599.95, Stihl 579.99

Please help.

This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by Adamj
Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Adamj

Re: Looking to buy a backpack blower.
Reply #2   Dec 23, 2010 9:38 pm
Thanks. My boss told be to stay away from echo cuz they are a peice of crap.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #3   Dec 23, 2010 11:07 pm
joed wrote:
I have both and they're pretty much the same.  The Stihl is a bit lighter and better on fuel.  The echo is a bit heavier and eats a bit more fuel but not by much.  Both work very well in leaves but the echo is a bit more powerful.   Overall, they're both good.  Try both on and see how they feel on your back.  You might also want to consider the Shindaiwa EB802.  It's also $599 or the Shindaiwa eb854 that's $680.

For Heavy Leaf Removal . . . I bought a HONDA GX 270 powered " Little Wonder " blower 10 years ago that has NEVER needed anything more than a new spark plug, fresh gas, and an air filter every 5 years.  $1100.00 of the best dollars I ever spent !
Adamj

Reply #4   Dec 24, 2010 12:14 am
Wow thats a little two big i need some for snow two, thats why i was looking at the br 600
FrankMA

Reply #5   Dec 24, 2010 7:28 am
Here's a review I did last year after using my new to me then Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower - hope it helps.

Stihl BR550 Review

Thought I¡¯d provide a review of this Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower that I purchased back in mid September. I¡¯ve been using a McCulloch Backpack Blower that I originally purchased new about 13 years ago. It served me well over the years but was slowly dying so I thought I¡¯d make the move sooner than later and not get stuck in the middle of leaf clearing season ¨C bad news when you live in an oak forest.

Here¡¯s some info on this model:

BR 550 Backpack Blower

DISPLACEMENT

64.8 cc (3.95 cu. in.)

ENGINE POWER

3.0 kW (4.0 bhp)

WEIGHT

9.9 kg (21.8 Ibs.)

FUEL CAPACITY

1400 cc (47.3 oz.)

AIR VOLUME

¡¡900 m3/h (530 cfm)

AIR VELOCITY

89 m/sec. (199 mph)

SOUND PRESSURE RATING

73 dB(A)

Pros:

Very powerful and able to clear leaves from a distance of about 8 -10 feet with ease; Run time of about 1 hour at WOT; Fairly quiet but you still need hearing protection; Engine sound is less annoying than most leaf blowers; Easily pushes large volumes of leaves; Weighs a bit less than my old McCulloch; Blow Tube/Control Handle rotate easily; Blow tubes stay together; Flex hose is soft and very pliable yet heavy duty; WOT locking lever so you don¡¯t have to hold the trigger constantly; Throttle Trigger controls the engine speed very precisely; Starts easily ¨C 5 pushes of the primer bulb, 1 or 2 clicks of the choke knob and 1 -2 pulls and your ready to go: Automatically switches from the choke position to the idle speed position when you press the throttle trigger; Harness is nicely padded and fairly comfortable

Cons:

You have to be careful when releasing the WOT lock lever ¨C move it too far and you shut the engine down. No big deal, but you have to remove the blower to start it again. Fuel cap takes a bit of getting used to but again, not a deal breaker. $ 420.00 ¨C A little pricey but comparable to others in this class and you get what you pay for.

I highly recommend this to anyone needing a really good leaf blower. It¡¯s well constructed and moves leaves and other yard debris my old McCulloch could never even think of moving.

Pros:

Very powerful and able to clear leaves from a distance of about 8 -10 feet with ease; Run time of about 1 hour at WOT; Fairly quiet but you still need hearing protection; Engine sound is less annoying than most leaf blowers; Easily pushes large volumes of leaves; Weighs a bit less than my old McCulloch; Blow Tube/Control Handle rotate easily; Blow tubes stay together; Flex hose is soft and very pliable yet heavy duty; WOT locking lever so you don¡¯t have to hold the trigger constantly; Throttle Trigger controls the engine speed very precisely; Starts easily ¨C 5 pushes of the primer bulb, 1 or 2 clicks of the choke knob and 1 -2 pulls and your ready to go: Automatically switches from the choke position to the idle speed position when you press the throttle trigger; Harness is nicely padded and fairly comfortable

Cons:

You have to be careful when releasing the WOT lock lever ¨C move it too far and you shut the engine down. No big deal, but you have to remove the blower to start it again. Fuel cap takes a bit of getting used to but again, not a deal breaker. $ 420.00 ¨C A little pricey but comparable to others in this class and you get what you pay for.

I highly recommend this to anyone needing a really good leaf blower. It¡¯s well constructed and moves leaves and other yard debris my old McCulloch could never even think of moving.

This message was modified Dec 24, 2010 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Underdog

Reply #6   Dec 24, 2010 9:35 am
Around these parts the Redmax blowers are very popular.  My brother has one and I used it a few weeks ago.  Seemed to work just fine.

You can pick these up at a discount now that fall leaf cleanup has passed.  Check out this listing on CL:

7150 Redmax Backpack Blower - $420 (Southern NH)

Date: 2010-11-29, 9:22PM EST
Reply to: sale-wkgbm-2086470557@craigslist.org [W
We are a Redmax dealer trying to move 2 of these for winter. 
Redmax 7150. New in Box, never used. Lighter than the 8050 but more reliability. 
Full 2 year warranty on these new never used units. 
We can arrange delivery to parts of southern NH. 

Replies: 2 - 6 of 6Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42