Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda HS928 work light questions

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Izzynormal

Honda HS928 work light questions
Original Message   Dec 22, 2010 10:55 pm
I wanted to save a few bucks on a work light.  One seller on feeBay said the GE H7614 halogen is the replacement for the work light. It is a 12V 50W flood lamp.  I asked if it's the same as the one from Honda because I'm not sure of the volts and amperage of the lighting coil on the HS928. 

Anyone know the details of the replacement lamp?  Maybe open the work light and check the numbers on the back of the light?  Harbor Frieght has a rubber work light that is only 35 watts but is about $16 compared to Honda price of about $70.  I'd have to make a bracket but that should be easy.  I don't know the wattage or voltage of the lighting coil.  I read it could be as low as 18 watts and is 12V.A.C. not 12V.D.C. and 50watts.

Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
aa335

Re: Honda HS928 work light questions
Reply #1   Dec 22, 2010 11:18 pm
I opened up my light and it is a Stanley bulb.  It has dual filament.  This is what is stamped on the flange.  12V15/15W

The reflector has these numbers, 001-5068

Hope that helps.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2010 by aa335
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #2   Dec 23, 2010 10:54 pm
I explained this on another thread, but here are the facts.   The HONDA  accessory light will cost about $ 60 bucks, it includes the unique mounting bracket and bolts that will rust too soon, so I ordered SS bolts from www.allensfasteners.com, for less than 10 bucks,  I suggest you do the same.  The light that Honda supplies in that kit is (www.pmlights.com) from Peterson Manufacturing, model 507 a 50 watt halogen sealed beam light (12V) that puts out 300 lumens of light and comes mounted in a rubber mount.   I ordered an 'Up-Grade' the PM model 907 which is identical in every respect except it has 10 Very Bright LED's that put out about 1000 lumwens of light.  It cost me $71.99 from www.foxtaillights.com, plus $ 9.29 in shipping & handling for a total of $ 81.28 for the better light.   I am also going to install a weather proof toggle switch that I have yet to receive from www.jamestowndistributors.com and a silicone boot that covers the switch. (it will require me drillling a  mounting hole in the plastic panel of the HS 928.   Send me a fax number and i will fax the instructions from the HONDA accessory kit to you.  The Honda HS machine should last 20 years, it's worth the cost of the SS and the upgrades, in my humble opinion.  Merry Christmas !
This message was modified Dec 23, 2010 by New_Yorker
New_Yorker

Reply #3   Dec 23, 2010 11:40 pm
Izzynormal wrote:
I wanted to save a few bucks on a work light.  One seller on feeBay said the GE H7614 halogen is the replacement for the work light. It is a 12V 50W flood lamp.  I asked if it's the same as the one from Honda because I'm not sure of the volts and amperage of the lighting coil on the HS928. 

Anyone know the details of the replacement lamp?  Maybe open the work light and check the numbers on the back of the light?  Harbor Frieght has a rubber work light that is only 35 watts but is about $16 compared to Honda price of about $70.  I'd have to make a bracket but that should be easy.  I don't know the wattage or voltage of the lighting coil.  I read it could be as low as 18 watts and is 12V.A.C. not 12V.D.C. and 50watts.

The problem you will discover if you buy only the PM model 507 light is that you will have no way to mount it.  The light is about 30 bucks, and the bulb (sealed Beam Halogen-50Watt is about $ 10 bucks by itself) so spending 60 bucks to get that light, the braket to mount it that No One else can sell you, and the e-z  rust bolts, is still worth the price.
aa335

Reply #4   Dec 24, 2010 9:44 am
New Yorker,

Do you think the electrical system can support a 50W bulb?
New_Yorker

Reply #5   Dec 24, 2010 10:21 am
aa335 wrote:
New Yorker,

Do you think the electrical system can support a 50W bulb?

The Halogen bulb that Honda supplies (the Model 507 PM Light) is already a 50 WATT halogen bulb inside a sealed beam, so the stator on the GX 270 Honda Engine (what Honda suplied me on my new HS 928 TAS snowblower) must be capable of powering that light.  I was able to upgrade because that 300 lumens of light is far less than the 10 'Great White' LED's in the model 907 PM light I will use and that will, because LED's only need small amounts of electricity, work just great, and they have a 100,000 hour estimated life, so it's unlikely you'll ever have to buy a replacement bulb.  I hope this helps ! Merry Christmas !

go to www.1000bulbs.com, then "Clik-On" Halogen Lights, then go to the columns on the rightside of the page and under the list for "Bulb Shape" choose, PAR 36, the first bulb to come up is whqt you want to replace the original Honda Bulb, a wide Flood light pattern 50Watt that has both the screw terminals you will need to connect it and the slip on type.  The bulb sells for $ 6.85 each, it is a Halco HaloXen bulb  that is an exact match to the Honda bulb, and the rubber PM model 507 housing it fits into.

This message was modified Dec 24, 2010 by New_Yorker
aa335

Reply #6   Dec 24, 2010 10:37 am
Are you going to use anything inline to stabilize the voltage?  Halogen can tolerate fluctuating voltage, but LED's prefer constant voltage.
New_Yorker

Reply #7   Dec 24, 2010 10:54 am
aa335 wrote:
Are you going to use anything inline to stabilize the voltage?  Halogen can tolerate fluctuating voltage, but LED's prefer constant voltage.

Peterson Manufacturing sells the LED model 907 for the same applications they sell the halogen 507, so I doubt they expect any difficulty in the exchange, nor should I.   Both are identical weatherproof rubber housings and the sealed beam units fit in precisely the same way.  The only additional modification I intend to add to this is a simple on-off toggle switch, a sealed unit, and a silicone weatherproof 'boot' that screws onto the switch.  After all the connections are complete I will seal them against moisture with a small amount of 'Plasti-Dip' which should keep all moisture out of the wiring pretty permenantly.  Should work out great.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #8   Dec 24, 2010 3:52 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
Peterson Manufacturing sells the LED model 907 for the same applications they sell the halogen 507, so I doubt they expect any difficulty in the exchange, nor should I.   Both are identical weatherproof rubber housings and the sealed beam units fit in precisely the same way.  The only additional modification I intend to add to this is a simple on-off toggle switch, a sealed unit, and a silicone weatherproof 'boot' that screws onto the switch.  After all the connections are complete I will seal them against moisture with a small amount of 'Plasti-Dip' which should keep all moisture out of the wiring pretty permenantly.  Should work out great.

Please post some pics of this setup once you have it all finished. I'm sure a lot of us would like to see it. I'd also be interested in how it handles under the cold it will get on a snowblower over a period of time.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42