Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Consumer reports and factual errors

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Briantun

Consumer reports and factual errors
Original Message   Dec 22, 2010 12:53 pm
Have any of you seen the December online issue of Consumer Reports?  Snowthrowers are reviewed.  Lots of facual errors.  The have the retail price for the 828 oxe at $1,700.  If you click on "shop for this item", more mistakes.  They also have all models, at least the 2 stage models, rated poorly for sound.  I'm wondering if this information was pulled from the days of when many of these brands used the Tecumseh L-head.  Further, they have falsely listed certain models as having freewheel steering.  Honestly, there are so many mistakes, that I wonder if they did any actual testing this year.  Is the magazine in trouble financially? 

I have used CR for may years and was disturbed to se this level of recklessness in reporting.

Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Consumer reports and factual errors
Reply #6   Dec 22, 2010 4:05 pm
borat wrote:
Your best consumer's reports for OPE are right here. 

Real people using real machines posting real experiences.  What more does one need?

Yeah, it's definitely more interesting to read people's reviews here than staring at CR columns and rows of red dots and black dots.  :)
alty

Reply #7   Dec 22, 2010 5:56 pm
(Marc)  -  " With the advent of the "net" much more comprehensive information is available from a wider better informed source base than CR's "experts".

Good point  -  Very true

tkrotchko

Reply #8   Dec 22, 2010 6:09 pm
aa335 wrote:
I never find CR too useful for my taste.  They have a heavy weighing factor on price/value.  Targeted towards lowest common denominator, low priced commodity type products.  They rarely review highend products, and when they do, the high price goes against the rating, regardless of the performance of the product.  Tell it like it is, don't cloud the facts with pricing bias.  Not for me. 

They're more for speed reading to get familiar with competing products, not critical and indepth reviews final decisions.  With that said, I rarely look at the specs that they quote.

I find them useful to determine (a) what they think are critical items (b) to consider factors that I hadn't thought of (c) a general idea of what they consider "really good" or "really bad". They're really just another data point. For example, I was purchasing a toaster (yes, they still make those) and looked on CR's website, and looked up the CR top rated toasters on Amazon, and there was little correlation between the ratings by consumers on Amazon and CR's rating. The useful part of Amazon was people wrote 2-3 sentences detailing what they liked and didn't like, which you don't get in consumer reports. In the end, I picked on that was top rated on Amazon by 82 people, but was only mid-rated by CR. Again, CR is just a data point, and I enjoy the magazine and website and appreciate what they do.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #9   Dec 22, 2010 6:48 pm
I find Amazon.com reviews if there are a lot of them to be for more accurate than CR. Forums like this are considerably more helpful. I'll go to places like Cnet to get an overview of something I'd like to buy but there ratings are always based on something you can't actually buy. Edmunds.com works great for cars at least for me. CR is obsolete but it's still bought by libraries all over the USA. It's no longer as valid as it used to be 20 or more years back.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
stresst

Reply #10   Dec 22, 2010 7:43 pm
Consumer reports! What a joke.........I tend to buy top of the line items, and not once was the item I was buying rated in the top five on CR. I just looked at the snow blower reviews, how can the troy be better then the Toro828? Perfect example rite there........Like stated already its not like it used to be, its very subjective these days and sometime wonder what criteria they are actually looking for?????? 

TORO 826OXE
borat

Reply #11   Dec 22, 2010 7:54 pm
Dollars vs. functionality are probably their basic criteria.  If a $500.00 machine can clear a  driveway as well as a $1400.00 machine with no major performance issues, it will likely be their choice.

I doubt that they take long term performance into consideration.  
FrankMA

Reply #12   Dec 23, 2010 7:09 am
borat wrote:
Dollars vs. functionality are probably their basic criteria.  If a $500.00 machine can clear a  driveway as well as a $1400.00 machine with no major performance issues, it will likely be their choice.

I doubt that they take long term performance into consideration.  

Yeah - it would be nice to see a follow up review of their top OPE picks say, 3 - 5 - 7 years out as a true measure of performance, reliability and longevity. As you aptly stated earlier, forums like this provide on the ground information that can't be found in a magazine.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Oneplay

Reply #13   Dec 23, 2010 4:59 pm
FrankMA wrote:
.... As you aptly stated earlier, forums like this provide on the ground information that can't be found in a magazine.

Most definitely to all of the above.

I found this  site while researching which machine I should buy several months ago and its been invaluable in helping me figure out what would fit my needs by educating me  far more than i had expected.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #14   Dec 23, 2010 5:36 pm
I just checked the Consumer Reports on line site, and the price is listed at $ 1700.00 as you say but upon clicking on the shop for the prices of $ 1460.00 come up and when I do a Google search the prices vary even more up to 1600 bucks, so it sounds like Toro is having a sale, and trying move these machines.  You'd have to ask them what decible levels they rate poorly to discover why the sound levels are rated poor.  CR is still the only objective reviewer on all such machines, so don't be too hard on them.  I expalined what is, in my opinion, their deficiency on explaning how snowblowers work, and what actually matters. Heated hand grips won't do you much good if the drive system doesn't move the machine into that heavy wet pile semi-ice.  They also do not tell you important information to compare the brands, like the diameter and wdth of the friction wheel and drive plate on each machine.  That is like leaving off the tire and wheel sizes on cars.
daswede

Reply #15   Dec 24, 2010 11:28 am
  I find C.R. a usefull tool in my product search,but just that.    I research many other sources
Replies: 6 - 15 of 15Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42