Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 826oxe and 1st use

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Briantun

Toro 826oxe and 1st use
Original Message   Dec 13, 2010 1:34 pm
We had our first blizzard of the season in Green Bay with drifts over 2ft.  This was my first experience using this machine and the 826OXE exceeded expectations.  EOD snow was no problem and the machine seems very robust in design as I worked with it under blizzard conditions.  No backfiring with the B&S 250cc engine.  The flywheel system is incredible.  I tried the autotraction on the platinum ARIENS, but I personally like this system, as I feel I have more effective control over direction and movement.  I was not happy  that 2 apparently loose screws were lost during operation (both in the upper snow hood area); the dealer is replacing them. 

For anyone nervous about plastic or overall build quality, do not fear.  This thing is a tank that uses plastic to reduce weight, while avoiding rust in certain areas.  The Quickchute is a blessing; and again, no signs that this component is not up to challenging conditions or the long haul.

Replies: 4 - 13 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
240LTS

Re: Toro 826oxe and 1st use
Reply #4   Dec 17, 2010 9:47 am
Could anyone explain a little how the free wheel steering works?
I am in the market and am swaying wildly from a single stage Toro to the 825, 1028, some Ariens and I even looked at the JD 3330.
I'm considering a 2005 Ariens ST 8526 LE; 932105 but the reviews I have read complained about the handling/ steering being tough.
My train of though is the simpler the better, the less to break and maintain. The last thing anyone wants is to have a malfunction while clearing after a storm.
I live in Harford County, MD., just above the Chesapeake Bay. we don't get a lot of snow, but this last year set records.

Thank you,
Jeff
This message was modified Dec 17, 2010 by 240LTS
daniel

Reply #5   Dec 17, 2010 10:48 am
Hello,

The 826 definitely does have free wheel steering now, I don't think it used to in previous model years.  the 726 is the base model, going up to the 826 you get freewheel steering, a headlight, and a larger engine.  Going up to the 828 you get 2" wider bucket as far as I can tell.

Free wheel steering is two (mechanical) cables routed to two triggers under your handles.  When you press the trigger, it completely unlocks that wheel from the axle.  So, if the engine is running and you are going forward, that wheel will stop, and the machine will turn on the pivot of that wheel (on a dime).  Also, when the machine is off, it is difficult to push since you are pushing the axle/transmission/engine.  When you press both triggers, it rolls effortlessly. 

Hope this helps,

Dan

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
240LTS

Reply #6   Dec 17, 2010 11:19 am
Ok, it's just what the trigger steering is called.
Thank you!

Just read the JD1330 thread, the reviews sound as good as it looks.

decisions-decisions!!!!

Jeff
Briantun

Reply #7   Dec 17, 2010 12:50 pm
Hi Steve,

Dan is correct.  My snowthrower, the 826oxe, does have free wheel steering.  Toro should correct this on their site.  I was pariculalry interested in this feature and compared this model to the Ariens platinum 24 (autotraction) as a basis of comparison.

Best!

Brian 

Briantun

Reply #8   Dec 17, 2010 12:58 pm
Hi Jeff,

If you are still considering the 826oxe, all I can tell you from my experience is that is fantastic.  The amount of control the free wheel steering gives you is great.  The 250cc engine is powerful.  We had windpacked snow, well over 2ft in many areas of my driveway, and the Toro was a beast.  I live on a cul-de-sac and the EOD thing gets pretty nasty. Again, not problem for this machine.  The other thing I loved, and was slightly nervous about, was the lack of rise I experienced with the machine.  The spped of the the 1st geer is nice and slow.  I never felt as though I needed to throw my weight on the machine to keep it down.  Everybody talsk about the Quickstick feature, too.  I was thinking--well, I'm sure it will be nice, but can't live up to the hype.  Let me tell you--it's better than I thought it would be--has a very sturdy feel to it, too, when you use it in real situations.

Exceeded my expectations and I think my bar was pretty high for this thing.

Good luck with your decision.     

Steve_Cebu

Reply #9   Dec 17, 2010 2:47 pm
Briantun wrote:
Hi Steve,

Dan is correct.  My snowthrower, the 826oxe, does have free wheel steering.  Toro should correct this on their site.  I was pariculalry interested in this feature and compared this model to the Ariens platinum 24 (autotraction) as a basis of comparison.

Best!

Brian 

Hi Brian, Toro doesn't really have a great website. You are right they should update it as it contradicts itself a few times. The Freewheel steering is great and makes a difference over many other machines most of those can only turn left. I was totally unimpressed with Ariens auto-lok differential when I used it and my wife couldn't use it at all. The Toro is superior in turning due to the control you have.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #10   Dec 17, 2010 2:47 pm
Briantun wrote:
Hi Steve,

Best!

Brian 

Hi Brian, Toro doesn't really have a great website. You are right they should update it as it contradicts itself a few times. The Freewheel steering is great and makes a difference over many other machines most of those can only turn left. I was totally unimpressed with Ariens auto-lok differential when I used it and my wife couldn't use it at all. The Toro is superior in turning due to the control you have.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #11   Dec 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Briantun wrote:
Hi Jeff,

If you are still considering the 826oxe, all I can tell you from my experience is that is fantastic.  The amount of control the free wheel steering gives you is great.  The 250cc engine is powerful.  We had windpacked snow, well over 2ft in many areas of my driveway, and the Toro was a beast.  I live on a cul-de-sac and the EOD thing gets pretty nasty. Again, not problem for this machine.  The other thing I loved, and was slightly nervous about, was the lack of rise I experienced with the machine.  The spped of the the 1st geer is nice and slow.  I never felt as though I needed to throw my weight on the machine to keep it down.  Everybody talsk about the Quickstick feature, too.  I was thinking--well, I'm sure it will be nice, but can't live up to the hype.  Let me tell you--it's better than I thought it would be--has a very sturdy feel to it, too, when you use it in real situations.

Toro doesn't get the love on this forum that it deserves but wow does it work when teh snow gets deep. My 1028 impresses me all the time. it's well balanced so you can move it around like a dolly instead of needing a dolly.

The joystick controls on the chute are amazing and simple. Why you would ever need a powered chute is beyond me. Press the blue lock button flick in the direction you want it to be and let go. Can't beat the ease of use. I just hope the hype fans of other makes isn't the sole determining feature for the OP.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #12   Dec 17, 2010 2:53 pm
Briantun wrote:
Hi Jeff,

Toro doesn't get the love on this forum that it deserves but wow does it work when teh snow gets deep. My 1028 impresses me all the time. it's well balanced so you can move it around like a dolly instead of needing a dolly.

The joystick controls on the chute are amazing and simple. Why you would ever need a powered chute is beyond me. Press the blue lock button flick in the direction you want it to be and let go. Can't beat the ease of use. I just hope the hype fans of other makes isn't the sole determining feature for the OP.

mikiewest

Reply #13   Dec 18, 2010 6:44 am
steve that is not true that a machine with only one trigger control can only turn in 1 direction.My Simp has only 1 trigger control.It does take a little more effort but it can turn right or left when u squeeze the lever.
Replies: 4 - 13 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42