Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Just Purchased Ariens 921022 Deluxe 2 Stage 28 inch, anything else to do before Winter/Snow hits?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Spartan

Just Purchased Ariens 921022 Deluxe 2 Stage 28 inch, anything else to do before Winter/Snow hits?
Original Message   Sep 19, 2010 4:06 pm
I just purchased a new Ariens 921022  and should be receiving it in about a week or so.  Aside from adding fuel/oil is there anything I should do or needs to be done in order to get this snow thrower Winter/snow ready?
It's replacing a 16 year old, 5HP MTD on its last leg, I can't wait to see the difference in performance/power.

Thanks for any help/tips
Replies: 15 - 24 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
estroner

Re: Just Purchased Ariens 921022 Deluxe 2 Stage 28 inch, anything else to do before Winter/Snow hits?
Reply #15   Dec 7, 2010 12:19 pm
I bought one of these from Home Depot last week. My local dealer want $300 more so it was a no brainer. So far no snow yet so I can testify to its performance. I did have to make some adjustments to the machine when I got it home. It was a little low on oil, the tire pressures where 4 pounds off, the skids where set at different heights, and the linkage was not tightened down all of the way. No that big of a deal but something I do not feel I should have had to do, especially the oil in the engine. Chance of snow on Saturday. Hopefully we get enough to test the machine out.
NJRonbo

Re: Just Purchased Ariens 921022 Deluxe 2 Stage 28 inch, anything else to do before Winter/Snow hits?
Reply #16   Jan 4, 2011 9:34 am
Congrats on your purchase of the 921022. Listen, considering one of these after our huge storm last week in the NorthEast that dumped 26" of snow in our area. I'm totally not mechanically inclined. How difficult would it be for me to put this thing together? There is talk about tightening belts and such. Have no idea how tight they should be or otherwise.
Shryp

Reply #17   Jan 4, 2011 10:00 am
NJRonbo wrote:
Congrats on your purchase of the 921022. Listen, considering one of these after our huge storm last week in the NorthEast that dumped 26" of snow in our area. I'm totally not mechanically inclined. How difficult would it be for me to put this thing together? There is talk about tightening belts and such. Have no idea how tight they should be or otherwise.

You can download the manual and review the assembly and set up procedures here:

http://www.ariens.com/corporate/Pages/OwnerManuals.aspx

The model number will be the 9xxxxx number.  For the serial number just make one up like 11111.
Most of them are fairly similar, but you can get a few manuals if you like.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #18   Jan 4, 2011 6:10 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
@ Spartan,

Had your Deluxe 28 out yet? Not much reading around here on that particular new 921022 model. We finally got a good punch of snow here north of Toronto and the new toy was out yesterday and today. Total first timer noob and very happy and impressed. (Where does all the snow go? LOL).

Cheers!

I think you should lower your scraper bar a bit. You are leaving a lot of snow behind that could ice up. My dealer had mine set like yours. But 5 mins with a wrench and now when the sun comes out we have actual blacktop. My elderly relative can't walk on any kind of snow, so for us lowering the bar is mandatory. Before the snowblower we had a guy who plowed. He left about what you have. She fell and broke her hip on the ice that inevitably forms from being surrounded by trees.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
iLikeOrange

Reply #19   Jan 4, 2011 6:56 pm
He may not be able to lower the scraper bar further. If he has a driveway like mine anyway. I have such bad breaks in the concrete I  have to leave the scraper bar much higher  than normal or it's a jarring experiance. I have smooth pavement envy! I made special skids to help with the problem . 
This message was modified Jan 4, 2011 by iLikeOrange

NotMoneyGuy

Reply #20   Jan 4, 2011 7:37 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
I think you should lower your scraper bar a bit. You are leaving a lot of snow behind that could ice up.

Thanks Steve. I'll look into it. Page GB-26 talks about both the scraper blade and skid shoes.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04135800_ENG.pdf  Direct link to manual.

BTW, just got my Feb 11 C*nsumer Rep*rts today, they like this machine. I'll start a thread on it with pics.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

Steve_Cebu

Reply #21   Jan 4, 2011 9:47 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Thanks Steve. I'll look into it. Page GB-26 talks about both the scraper blade and skid shoes.

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/04135800_ENG.pdf  Direct link to manual.

BTW, just got my Feb 11 C*nsumer Rep*rts today, they like this machine. I'll start a thread on it with pics.

My driveway is rolling and far from flat and it's on an incline and yet dropped down it cleans like a single stage. True I will have to replace the scraper bar every 4-5 years or so but that's ok. Ariens makes a good machine and while I wouldn't give up my Toro for one they are still good machines. I don't know if my scraper bar is adjustable or not but I dropped my skids all the way down and I'm real happy with the way it cleans the driveway. The Honda 928TAS that I had had skid shoes in the rear due to the tracks and that hung up all over the place. The side skid shoes are much better for my type of driveway.

I look forward to seeing some pics of your baby in action.

This message was modified Jan 4, 2011 by Steve_Cebu

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Chxbeachva

Reply #22   Jan 4, 2011 11:00 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:
My driveway is rolling and far from flat and it's on an incline and yet dropped down it cleans like a single stage. True I will have to replace the scraper bar every 4-5 years or so but that's ok. Ariens makes a good machine and while I wouldn't give up my Toro for one they are still good machines. I don't know if my scraper bar is adjustable or not but I dropped my skids all the way down and I'm real happy with the way it cleans the driveway. The Honda 928TAS that I had had skid shoes in the rear due to the tracks and that hung up all over the place. The side skid shoes are much better for my type of driveway.

I look forward to seeing some pics of your baby in action.

Steve, I have my scraper at 1/8" and obviously my blower does not clean right down to the pavement, however I would like it too. I am kind of worried I may damage my machine by setting that low. My driveway is about 90' long and runs parallel to the house. It is 80% blacktop and some brick pavers going up the walkway and towards the entry point. Wouldn't i risk scraping those and leaving marks on them.
Chxbeachva

Reply #23   Jan 4, 2011 11:02 pm
Chxbeachva wrote:
Steve, I have my scraper at 1/8" and obviously my blower does not clean right down to the pavement, however I would like it too. I am kind of worried I may damage my machine by setting that low. My driveway is about 90' long and runs parallel to the house. Dead flat no incline with maybe a lip or two but very minor. It is 80% blacktop and some brick pavers going up the walkway and towards the entry point. Wouldn't i risk scraping those and leaving marks on them.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #24   Jan 5, 2011 1:16 am
Chxbeachva wrote:
Steve, I have my scraper at 1/8" and obviously my blower does not clean right down to the pavement, however I would like it too. I am kind of worried I may damage my machine by setting that low. My driveway is about 90' long and runs parallel to the house. It is 80% blacktop and some brick pavers going up the walkway and towards the entry point. Wouldn't i risk scraping those and leaving marks on them.

My driveway is like the rolling plains of Kansas. It's flat but not real flat. I have large tiles that are basically 20" patio blocks that cover the septic system. I drive over them all the time. The snowblower doesn't like them too much but rarely does it hang up on them. I should measure the scraper bar height but I'm pretty sure it's down all the way. My biggest problem is the EOD where I have to do it sideways on an incline. The wind is always blowing from one side there so I have to blow in one direction and then reverse it otherwise I get a face full of snow. Sometimes it'll grab at the tar but my videos show how clean it gets the driveway. I don't think brand would be a factor except for Honda with it's rear skids they tend to grab very easy on anything that isn't flat. How I'd love to have a short driveway like yours! Only 90 feet. Must be nice. Mine is a full 220 feet long.

That said I don't know if you could drop the blade and not scrape up the bricks. I don't worry about things like that. If the bricks aren't sticking up you should be fine. You can always drop it and find out. It shouldn't be that big a job to do.

Replies: 15 - 24 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42