Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > RE: Ariens Prototype Testing

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Blue9R

RE: Ariens Prototype Testing
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 8:22 am

Upper Peninsula is the true test

Manufacturers flock to old airfield’s eight feet of snow to test their prototype snowblowers

By RICK BARRETT
rbarrett@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Jan. 24, 2005

For people who design snowblowers, heaven could be a closed, desolate air base buried under 8 feet of snow, where engineers can engage in hundreds of hours of continuous machine testing.

This week at such a spot, Brillion-based Ariens Co. is putting prototype snowblowers through the equivalent of more than 10 years of average homeowner use in a matter of days.

Testing at the former K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base, near Gwinn, Mich., has become an annual ritual for Ariens Co., which measures things like how many tons of snow a machine can move in an hour and what happens when you shift from two-wheel drive to four-wheel drive 13,000 times in very cold temperatures.

“There’s nothing like nature’s test,” said Dan Ariens, company president.

Wisconsin companies that make snow removal equipment, such as Ariens and Simplicity Manufacturing Inc. of Port Washington, have rushed to fill orders as cities from Milwaukee to Boston dig out from last week’s blizzard.

Such a massive storm can drain on this season’s inventory well before winter is over. It can also give manufacturers an early jump on next winter’s sales as homeowners vow not to be caught again without proper equipment.

Ariens might have to begin next year’s production cycle early, which puts more pressure on testing.

“We may have to call the guys in Michigan and tell them to work 15 hours a day instead of 12,” Ariens said.

The former Air Force base that Ariens uses is in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, about 23 miles south of Marquette. It has more than 5,000 acres of open land and miles of runways once used by bomber airplanes.

With more than 8 feet of snow on the runways now, it’s the perfect place to test snowblowers.

“We get the extreme cold so that we can freeze the units overnight and see how they start in the morning,” Ariens said. “You get the true test” of how a machine runs in cold, as well as deep snow.

The human side

A typical homeowner in southeastern Wisconsin runs a snowblower about 15 hours a year, according to Ariens. It’s much higher in some other states, where the machines can easily run 40 or more hours a season.

In field testing, Ariens looks at the human side of operating a snowblower for hours at a time.

“We measure things like the locations of handles and how much stress they put on wrists,” Ariens said. “Ergonomics, vibration, noise and spring tension are important.”

Ariens employees, including engineers and production managers, see for themselves what it’s like to push through the drifts.

Working in shifts that can last several hours, the testers tackle worst-case scenarios, such as running a snowblower off the edge of a road where it picks up gravel, sticks and other debris.

Snowblower technology has come a long way in recent years as the machines have become lighter and easier to use. Some of the biggest changes have been “ease of use” features such as better steering systems, said Troy Blewett, communications manager for Simplicity.

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jan05/295904.asp

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jan05/295904.asp

Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #18   Jan 28, 2005 4:09 pm
AJace, that's wild! Great PIC buddy! 
jubol

Reply #19   Jan 28, 2005 4:11 pm
  AJace,

Is that a photo of you?? Looks like about 30 to 35 inchs of snow.

When did you get that much snow?

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #20   Jan 28, 2005 4:16 pm
AJace wrote:
Guys, this does look like heaven.  It looks like my 926 DLE, what does you guys think? 

My leaf blower could move that small amount of snow.

Here's what I had to deal with.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
krislu

Reply #21   Jan 28, 2005 6:30 pm
Dantheman- I don't think Hondas are fabulous. I have never used one to know. From what I've read or been told there suppose to be good but don't really know. Hondas haven't been around long enough for anyone to really know (imho). One of the things I've learned in life are alot of people will not say that they bought a piece of junk.(I'm not saying Honda is junk.) I am not afraid to spend the money if I think the equipment is worth it. (Look at my sig on the bottom.) I looked at Honda before I bought my ST1236 and didn't like the build quality I was getting for the money. I don't care how reliable Honda is suppose to be, but you do make a point, I have heard alot of people ( not necessarily on this forumn) say they will spend the bucks and when it comes time to put up or shut up they usually have an excuse why they didn't.  My thoughts - Kris

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #22   Jan 28, 2005 6:36 pm
Oh, man I really wish that was me.  But, it's not.  It was on the article that Blue9R gave us.  I just had to post it.     

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

sawme

1Thess 4: 11-12

Reply #23   Jan 28, 2005 6:58 pm
krislu wrote:
Dantheman- I don't think Hondas are fabulous. I have never used one to know. From what I've read or been told there suppose to be good but don't really know. Hondas haven't been around long enough for anyone to really know (imho). One of the things I've learned in life are alot of people will not say that they bought a piece of junk.(I'm not saying Honda is junk.) I am not afraid to spend the money if I think the equipment is worth it. (Look at my sig on the bottom.) I looked at Honda before I bought my ST1236 and didn't like the build quality I was getting for the money. I don't care how reliable Honda is suppose to be, but you do make a point, I have heard alot of people ( not necessarily on this forumn) say they will spend the bucks and when it comes time to put up or shut up they usually have an excuse why they didn't.  My thoughts - Kris

Hi Kris

Honda's aren't fabulous!!    THEY"RE INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I just had too..                    Tom  

Stihl 036/MS-55 YB /Homelite Trimmer/ Troy-Bilt Tiller/ MTD Rider/ Honda HS1132TA
krislu

Reply #24   Jan 28, 2005 7:06 pm
HA  HA, Tom !   - Kris

hickster

Reply #25   Jan 28, 2005 8:49 pm
sawme wrote:
       Hi Kris

Honda's aren't fabulous!!    THEY"RE INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I just had too..                    Tom  

Yes, they are!

hickster

Weather outlook for the "Anchorage bowl"

Blower      HS928TA 
Mower      HRR216PDA 
Washer    Excell XR2700 (6.5 Honda-GX/AR-2700psi/3gpm) 
Trimmer   John Deere (Homelite clone)
Saw         Husky 141 

MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Reply #26   Jan 28, 2005 10:36 pm
Anybody ( Paul ? ) willing to sponsor me on a trip to Ariens to do a little picture taking and R&D in the Snowfield of the Great midwest??

I have a Fuzzie fur hat to keep me warm....

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Termy

Reply #27   Jan 28, 2005 10:43 pm
I just where Beeny caps. What else do you need? You won't get me wearing a hat that has a dead skunk on it lol.

Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42