Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > RE: Ariens Prototype Testing

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Blue9R

RE: Ariens Prototype Testing
Original Message   Jan 28, 2005 8:22 am

Upper Peninsula is the true test

Manufacturers flock to old airfield’s eight feet of snow to test their prototype snowblowers

By RICK BARRETT
rbarrett@journalsentinel.com
Posted: Jan. 24, 2005

For people who design snowblowers, heaven could be a closed, desolate air base buried under 8 feet of snow, where engineers can engage in hundreds of hours of continuous machine testing.

This week at such a spot, Brillion-based Ariens Co. is putting prototype snowblowers through the equivalent of more than 10 years of average homeowner use in a matter of days.

Testing at the former K.I. Sawyer Air Force Base, near Gwinn, Mich., has become an annual ritual for Ariens Co., which measures things like how many tons of snow a machine can move in an hour and what happens when you shift from two-wheel drive to four-wheel drive 13,000 times in very cold temperatures.

“There’s nothing like nature’s test,” said Dan Ariens, company president.

Wisconsin companies that make snow removal equipment, such as Ariens and Simplicity Manufacturing Inc. of Port Washington, have rushed to fill orders as cities from Milwaukee to Boston dig out from last week’s blizzard.

Such a massive storm can drain on this season’s inventory well before winter is over. It can also give manufacturers an early jump on next winter’s sales as homeowners vow not to be caught again without proper equipment.

Ariens might have to begin next year’s production cycle early, which puts more pressure on testing.

“We may have to call the guys in Michigan and tell them to work 15 hours a day instead of 12,” Ariens said.

The former Air Force base that Ariens uses is in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, about 23 miles south of Marquette. It has more than 5,000 acres of open land and miles of runways once used by bomber airplanes.

With more than 8 feet of snow on the runways now, it’s the perfect place to test snowblowers.

“We get the extreme cold so that we can freeze the units overnight and see how they start in the morning,” Ariens said. “You get the true test” of how a machine runs in cold, as well as deep snow.

The human side

A typical homeowner in southeastern Wisconsin runs a snowblower about 15 hours a year, according to Ariens. It’s much higher in some other states, where the machines can easily run 40 or more hours a season.

In field testing, Ariens looks at the human side of operating a snowblower for hours at a time.

“We measure things like the locations of handles and how much stress they put on wrists,” Ariens said. “Ergonomics, vibration, noise and spring tension are important.”

Ariens employees, including engineers and production managers, see for themselves what it’s like to push through the drifts.

Working in shifts that can last several hours, the testers tackle worst-case scenarios, such as running a snowblower off the edge of a road where it picks up gravel, sticks and other debris.

Snowblower technology has come a long way in recent years as the machines have become lighter and easier to use. Some of the biggest changes have been “ease of use” features such as better steering systems, said Troy Blewett, communications manager for Simplicity.

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jan05/295904.asp

http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/jan05/295904.asp

Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Dantheman

Reply #8   Jan 28, 2005 11:08 am
While I would enjoy an Ariens built with the quality of my old 724...with heavier gauge sheet metal and larger cast iron gear cases.....I really don't miss my old one.

Ergonomically my old Ariens sucked. The handel bars were too short and the chute rotater was too low. No remote deflector either. All that bending over the machine to move it up a step on the sidewalk, turn the chute numerous times and adjust the deflector for wind took a toll on my back.

How about a modern Ariens with the heavier sheet metal and drive system, larger gear case of the old....with the modern OHV engine and ergonomics.  

That would have my vote.

Dan

terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #9   Jan 28, 2005 11:21 am
Dantheman wrote:
How about a modern Ariens with the heavier sheet metal and drive system, larger gear case of the old....with the modern OHV engine and ergonomics.  

That would have my vote.

Dan

Uh, didn't you just describe the pro line of Ariens blowers?  Sounds to me like you did.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
TheKneebiter

Reply #10   Jan 28, 2005 11:34 am
Not true. My 1128 pro model is brand new and i could grab the side of the auger box with my hand and bend it in if i wanted. My old machine you could hit it with a sledge and you might get a scratch. Also the gear box in the newer pro might be cast but its no where near as heavy as the old models. terrapin24h wrote:
Uh, didn't you just describe the pro line of Ariens blowers?  Sounds to me like you did.
This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by TheKneebiter

krislu

Reply #11   Jan 28, 2005 11:59 am
I have to say I think my Ariens St1236 which is about10yrs old is built better than todays models. I notice all of Ariens' newer models have plastic gears which flex when you crank the shoot left or right (side to side). Mine has a nicely machined metal worm gear and 3 yes 3 metal universal joints that don't flex at all. Build quality was better years ago but features and ergonomics are better today. I'm glad I got rid of my old mid '60 Ariens but am glad I don't have one of todays models either. - Kris    

Blue9R

Reply #12   Jan 28, 2005 12:01 pm
LOL, well, blame the lighter weight sheet metal & castings on technology.

AutoCad type designing now allow the analysis of the mechanical stresses put on a component.

The result is a lighter weigh component with a designed 5 times safety factor versus the "best guess" of 15 years ago.

Also, if you haven't noticed, steel price increases over the last year have a major impact on current design trends.

Blue

Jonathan

I am a marvelous housekeeper. Every time I leave a man I keep his house. -Zsa Zsa

Reply #13   Jan 28, 2005 12:17 pm
I agree that the thickness of sheetmetal has changed over the years. Well illustrated by comparing my 1929 Ford with my 2003 Ford Focus.

2004 Ariens 11528LE, Troybilt Horse "Big Red" Tiller (original), Troybilt Tuffy Tiller (original), Sears LT1000 mower, Lawn Boy 7073 21" mower, Stihl FS55 RC trimmer, Poulan Countervibe 3400 chainsaw
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #14   Jan 28, 2005 12:26 pm
Blue, welcome to Abby's, glad to see you made the trip across the river. 
Dantheman

Reply #15   Jan 28, 2005 1:54 pm
Terrapin,

No, I did'nt describe the new Ariens Pro series. Compare the size of the gear case of an early 70's 724 and a new Pro Series blower.

Compare the thickness of the sheet metal and drive componants.

I don't think any manufacturer out there wants their machines to last as long as many of the Vintage Ariens 724's do.

Obviously we know they could for a few dollars more....But they would like to sell you a new one in 10 to 15yrs. Not one every 35 to 40 yrs.

And the question arises....we all talk a good talk....but how many of us would spend the money for a machine like that?

Everyone admits Honda's are fabulous machines....but many of us have spent a few bucks less on a Toro, Ariens or Simplicity.

Dan

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #16   Jan 28, 2005 4:02 pm
People around here use MTD.  They probably don't see the need for quality because we don't get much over 8" in a storm.  When the big ones come 36" or more, then I'm glad I have the quality.  Looking ergonomically at the older Ariens, I'd take mine.  It is just a good feel when I'm out there blowing. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #17   Jan 28, 2005 4:08 pm
Guys, this does look like heaven.  It looks like my 926 DLE, what does you guys think? 

This message was modified Jan 28, 2005 by AJace

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42