Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Old Toro 7/24 - replacing the impeller bearing

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Saddles

Old Toro 7/24 - replacing the impeller bearing
Original Message   Dec 4, 2010 8:58 pm
I am having difficulty accessing the impeller bearing of an old Toro 7/24 snowblower (serial number 38050).  I cracked the machine into two sections and removed the pully from the impeller, to expose the end of the impeller shaft (please link to the below photo). As seen in the photo, there is a small, long, rectangular piece of metal stuck to the shaft. I would like to slide the old impeller bearing off of the shaft, but can't because of this small, long, rectangular piece of metal. Any advice from someone who has dealt with this type of problem before would be really appreciated.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/56659718@N07/5233026762/

Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Shryp

Re: Old Toro 7/24 - replacing the impeller bearing
Reply #1   Dec 4, 2010 9:11 pm
It is a keyway.  Just smack it with a hammer and screwdriver and it will pop right out.  Shouldn't take much force and be careful not to loose it.
Saddles

Reply #2   Dec 4, 2010 9:45 pm
Can the keyway be yanked out with plyers? 

Do you know how the keyway is put back in?  With a hammer?

borat

Reply #3   Dec 4, 2010 9:51 pm
Spray it with some WD-40 and give it a couple light taps to dislodge it.  A pair of vice grips should pull it out.   You can tap it back in with a hammer if necessary.  Usually, they can be pushed in just with finger pressure.
trouts2

Reply #4   Dec 5, 2010 8:13 am
Grip the top of the key with vice grips and tap the vice grip noze with a hammer seveal times to loosen it then the other size.  The key deforms a bit and a light filing will get it back so it can be hand inserted again and the pulley go on without force.  You can get replacemen keys at any hardware store.
This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by trouts2
Saddles

Reply #5   Dec 8, 2010 10:27 pm
Thanks for all of your helpful advice.  In the end, after trying everything, the key was finally removed with a hammer, chisel, and a big pair of wire cutters (for leverage). It was pretty banged up when it finally came out, and I've ordered a new one which I'll install later this week (before a really big snowfall this weekend).
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42