Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Advice on snowblower purchase?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jyanno

Advice on snowblower purchase?
Original Message   Nov 27, 2010 3:37 pm
I am looking at purchasing my first snow blower.  My local shop carries Toro's and Ariens.  I live in northern NJ (morris county) and we had a lot of wet heavy/icy snow last year, so the wife has finally given in to the purchase. 

Our driveway is about 125' long and most of it is a about a single car lane, but it opens up to about 3 wide at the bottom.  Also my neighbor's drive way is adjacent to it and its about two cars lanes wide in front of their house and one car wide between the two houses.  So I'd have to throw the snow straight ahead when I am in the section between the two houses.

I'm currenty thinking of purchasing the Arien's 920013 (Compact 22).  Do you think a 6 HP engine will cut it, or should I be looking at a 7 HP?
Replies: 10 - 19 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jyanno

Re: Advice on snowblower purchase?
Reply #10   Dec 1, 2010 11:08 am
Thanks guys, but my wife spoke to my neighbor and he has a toro 1 stage and he said he's really happy with it.  I've been shoveling this thing for the last 5 years, so even if it gets a little bogged down, I can help it out.  For me (at this point) the extra $1000 bux to get a premium 2 stage vs a power clear doesn't seem worth it to me.  Guess I won't know until after a season or two.  Do you think the maintenance costs would go down with a 1 stage.  My friend said she needed to bring her 2 stage in and it cost a few hundred bux to service it.
aa335

Reply #11   Dec 1, 2010 11:53 am
The single stage Toro and the operator will be getting quite a workout for 125' drive.  It's doable, just takes longer.

Maintenance costs for the Toro single stage isn't that bad, I'm assuming you're looking into the 221Q or the 421Q.  That should be around $80 in rubber parts and scraper blade every two years, depending on use.   Takes about half an hour or less to put on and adjusting the belt tension.  So that's about $40 a year.  Run the gas out of the engine end of season before storing and that's basically it.  Wash it and wipe it down if you're particular.

I have a 12 year old Honda HS621 and I just did an overhaul on a machine that had virtually no maintenance on it for 8 years.  It was used with moderate hours but not abused.  Total costs was $200 in parts plus a paint job ($30 paint supplies) and it looks and works brand new.  So that's around $30 per year.  This is the result of all that hard work.  :)

Honda HS621 Refresh

My 2 stage snowblower is almost new and has very little hours on it.  It comes out to work when there's a big snowfall or punch a hole through the EOD pile.  The only maintenance so far is an oil change, wash, and wax.  It's a more complicated machine so I have to be diligent  to inspect everything over every season so small problems don't brew and spawn to become big problems.  Bigger and more complicated machines will inherently costs more to maintain, just the nature of the beast.

However, your purchase decision should be based on matching the machine to the job.  If you overtax the small machine, it will wear out faster and costs more to operate.
bevans

tougher than the elements...everything in Wisconsin is

Reply #12   Dec 1, 2010 1:24 pm
I live in Wisconsin, we get a boat load of snow. I would recommend an Ariens Pro series. Like the others have said, this is a long term purchase.

Just remember, you will be using it for the next 15-20 years. I know I have purchased items and years down the road, a said to myself, "why didn't I spend the $400 more and get the best".

Think about your situation and get a good value machine but certainly one that will perform for a long time. Get an Ariens model  #926037

Just my 2 cents...........

Bill

New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #13   Dec 1, 2010 2:28 pm
Canadian Winters would probably be significantly easier than what places like southern New England and Long Island get.  We almost never get the light powder you see in a snow storm.  That is because you have temperatures well below freezing while ours are often above freezing at ground level during the storm. As a consequence,  We get wet sleet, even when it does snow light powder, the storm will often begin as sleet or freezing rain or end that way.  This combines with salted roads plowed into our driveway means the snow the machine must move itself into is denser, far heavier, and tends to clog the machine.  This so taxes the drive mechanisim that within a short time you end up having to 'push' the snowblower into the snow because the drive plate and friction wheel slip.  I never went longer than 2 years between swapping out the rubber on that friction wheel, and after 5 years the drive plate had to be roughed up with a sander, no easy task for a part not designed to be removed from the machine for regular service.  Now you know why I paid the buckaroos for a Honda with No Friction Wheel.  Municipalities where I live, including my town on eastern Long Island buy Honda's HS 1132TAS and heaviest and priceyest Snow Blower, about 3 times the price of an Ariens with a friction wheel.
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

Reply #14   Dec 1, 2010 2:31 pm
Single stage machines work great on hard smooth surfaces where the snow is not too deep.  The augers usually have a rubber edge that wears, but cleans smooth surfaces well.  If the surface is rough the machine will wear that rubber strip in short order, and small one stage machines are unsuitable for gravel drives.   But Good Luck with whatever you buy.
borat

Reply #15   Dec 1, 2010 4:17 pm
Copied from another thread:

"Canadian Winters would probably be significantly easier than what places like southern New England and Long Island get."

Do you think?  I could have sworn that parts of Canada are a bit north of New England.    

I live on the north shore of Lake Superior.  We get a great deal of lake effects snow. It's December 1st and we've already got over 14" of snow and almost all of it fell heavy and wet.  It rained here all day yesterday.  If it had fallen as snow, we would have received another 10  to 12" of wet snow.   We'll get snow right into mid to late April.  Last year, we received 30" of heavy wet snow on April 1st. 

Believe me, where I live, you're above statement couldn't be more inaccurate.  Machines in this neck of the woods see demanding service. 

Proper use and maintenance of the machine will go a long way toward keeping it functional.   I do my own maintenance and do frequent inspections/adjustments.  Neighbours who aren't as vigilant are packing their snow throwers into the back of their pick ups and hauling them in for service every two or three years. 

There's nothing wrong with disk drive systems.   They're simple, reliable and inexpensive to repair if and when necessary. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #16   Dec 1, 2010 6:43 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
Canadian Winters would probably be significantly easier than what places like southern New England and Long Island get.  We almost never get the light powder you see in a snow storm.  That is because you have temperatures well below freezing while ours are often above freezing at ground level during the storm. As a consequence,  We get wet sleet, even when it does snow light powder, the storm will often begin as sleet or freezing rain or end that way.  This combines with salted roads plowed into our driveway means the snow the machine must move itself into is denser, far heavier, and tends to clog the machine.  This so taxes the drive mechanisim that within a short time you end up having to 'push' the snowblower into the snow because the drive plate and friction wheel slip.  I never went longer than 2 years between swapping out the rubber on that friction wheel, and after 5 years the drive plate had to be roughed up with a sander, no easy task for a part not designed to be removed from the machine for regular service.  Now you know why I paid the buckaroos for a Honda with No Friction Wheel.  Municipalities where I live, including my town on eastern Long Island buy Honda's HS 1132TAS and heaviest and priceyest Snow Blower, about 3 times the price of an Ariens with a friction wheel.

We do get a lot of the wetter snow here but they also get it up in Canada above us in Quebec Province. Some states tend to get a lot of powder but many States get crappy wet slushy snow. Higher elevations tend to get more powder, but not always. We rarely get powder and I'm in Central NH. The only way I can see wearing my Toro's drive plate out quickly is if I was running it full tilt into 3 foot high snowbanks of packed snow. Most pro's up here use Toro and Honda tracked machines. Drive an hour south and I have no idea what they use. Our city uses a beast of a machine for sidewalks. It doesn't throw it far but it will throw pure slush. It might throw further but they never do.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
trouts2

Reply #17   Dec 1, 2010 6:47 pm
New_Yorker wrote:
This so taxes the drive mechanisim that within a short time you end up having to 'push' the snowblower into the snow because the drive plate and friction wheel slip.  I never went longer than 2 years between swapping out the rubber on that friction wheel, and after 5 years the drive plate had to be roughed up with a sander, no easy task for a part not designed to be removed from the machine for regular service.  Now you know why I paid the buckaroos for a Honda with No Friction Wheel.  Municipalities where I live, including my town on eastern Long Island buy Honda's HS 1132TAS and heaviest and priceyest Snow Blower, about 3 times the price of an Ariens with a friction wheel.

What snowblower did you have?   In eastern Mass the snow is more than twice what you get and friction disks last from 10 to 30 years.  I've never heard of a drive plate having to be "roughed up",   Cleaned yes.   The sense of "never went longer than 2 years" suggests you probably went through a rubber in one year.   No machine built is that bad.  MTD is the worse I know of and down where you live an MTD friction disk should last 10 to 15 with proper use.  They do that up here.

Your machine must have had a defect and/or way out of adjustment.  If you kept replacing friction disks all the time it's like following the elephant with a shovel and not curing the problem.

>>"no easy task for a part not designed to be removed from the machine for regular service"

It's very rare for the drive plate assembly to ever need repair.  Sometimes a bearing but anything more would be extreamly rare i.e. drive plate surface. I"ve seen lots of 30-40 year old machines and never had a drive plate surface problem unless there was some other cause which messed up the plate surface like using the machine with the rubber gone so metal to metal on the drive plate surface. 

Making a negative generalization about friction disk based systems based on your experience is not justified.  The crop of friction disk snowblowers in use today probably makes up 99.8 percent with Honda and the rest of non-friction disk systems making up the rest. 

borat

Reply #18   Dec 1, 2010 7:25 pm
That pretty much sums up my feelings as well Trouts.

In all of my 30 or so years of using snow throwers and ownership of three, I've never had a disk drive problem that wasn't simply a matter of contamination on the disk, usually in the form of water from melted snow.  Other than that, nothing.  They were stone axe reliable.

It appears that some Honda owners need to justify the expense of their machines.  After all, two to three times the cost of a decent domestic machine should buy you something right? 
niper99

Reply #19   Dec 1, 2010 10:29 pm
First off l strongly agree with trouts and borat on "friction disk dependableity" , lve been working on snowblowers for 15 years and never heard of a friction disk needing replaced yearly ever! if that was the case as trouts said there must have been something else going on there.
Replies: 10 - 19 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42