Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Need some opinions please

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
estroner

Need some opinions please
Original Message   Nov 29, 2010 2:29 pm
I am looking at replacing a 25 year old snow blower. I live in Iowa and have a driveway that measures roughly 70X30. I do get some nice drifting, last year over the bed of my old truck, and some nice piles at the end of the drive. I am looking at the Toro Power Max 2-Stage 26 in. Snow Blower and the Ariens Deluxe 2-Stage 28 in. Snow Blower. They are the same price so I am not really sure which one to buy. Any help would be appreciated.

Replies: 43 - 52 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Paul7

Re: Need some opinions please
Reply #43   Jan 15, 2011 10:44 pm
shiva916 wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but some members seem so biased that if anyone mentions a machine other than the one that they love reguardless of the content of the post or what the OP may be looking to answer the response will be that "you should just buy XXXX machine it's the best" with little else.

I know what you mean.  Especially when someone has already purchased a particular machine and is looking for help to solve a problem they're having.  At that point if someone replies with. "Well you should have bought a Toro, or Honda, or Ariens, etc...without ever addressing their issue, I'm thinking why bother replying at all.  It's a bit of a different story if someone is looking for advice on what purchase to make of course. 
This message was modified Jan 15, 2011 by Paul7
Steve_Cebu

Reply #44   Jan 16, 2011 12:38 am
shiva916 wrote:
MN & trouts, please don't take me the wrong way, I think that all members opinions are great to be voiced on these boards as thats what keeps them going and as great as they are. Obviously with any forum community you will get members that favor particular brands over others. Since getting my particular machine I think it's quite nice and will sing it's praises as much as anyone else if I were asked, but I also would not rule out any other type of machine were my needs to change or if somene asked me for an opinion about different machines.

Maybe it's just me, but some members seem so biased that if anyone mentions a machine other than the one that they love reguardless of the content of the post or what the OP may be looking to answer the response will be that "you should just buy XXXX machine it's the best" with little else. While this will happen in any kind of discussion and forum of any kind I just happened to see it on quite a few posts that I was looking at; and not to say it's limited to Honda, or Yamaha, but there are also Ariens fanatics as well. I think this is a very valuable website and with many very knowledgeable members as I have said before. I know first hand as this site actually helped me in my purchase.

Off topic a bit, and not that I think I would ever pony up the money for it but has anyone heard of Yamaha being sold in the US market again? And as far as the big Honda machines not being sold in the US market, you would think that certain parts of this country certainly would receive enough snow to justify one of these monsters. I kinda wish I had one just to blast out my driveway in like 10 mins, and bury the neighbors in the process. Just for laughs, then I could go blow them out too.  Don't want to be thought of as that guy....lol

I think that as one of the Toro fanatics I'm pretty well balanced.  I think every machine has a place. Toro has it's advantages but so don't Ariens, Simplicity, Honda and other brands. There is little to no info posted on Toro 2 stages here, compared to Ariens.

So i try and balance the scales a bit. I did own a Honda 928TAS but returned it.

I think that Yamaha is very expensive but it is the Ferrari of snowblowers and it's not sold here in the US so it's exotic. If it was sold here it would become like Honda after a few years. Desireable but too dear for most of us to buy.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #45   Jan 16, 2011 12:39 am
rubinew wrote:
Actually, My wife gets first try, maybe tomorrow, I am going on a road trip for a couple days, so I'll have to show her how it works, take her first test run!

I'm sure she'll have fun with it.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Steve_Cebu

Reply #46   Jan 16, 2011 12:40 am
Paul7 wrote:
I know what you mean.  Especially when someone has already purchased a particular machine and is looking for help to solve a problem they're having.  At that point if someone replies with. "Well you should have bought a Toro, or Honda, or Ariens, etc...without ever addressing their issue, I'm thinking why bother replying at all.  It's a bit of a different story if someone is looking for advice on what purchase to make of course. 

Oh c'mon I did put a   in there. I didn't think people were so serious.

Paul7

Reply #47   Jan 16, 2011 1:44 am

I wasn’t necessarily thinking of you Steve.  But more so when someone is looking for a snow blower, has a $1,000 budget and someone recommends a $3,000 machine.  Yes the more expensive machine is better and will get the job done quicker but why stop there.  Why not recommend spending $20,000 more to get a Bobcat...it’s better and even faster.  Point is neither recommendation is of any use to the poster.

By the way I don’t know if you remember but I was the one who advised you to pay the restocking fee to return the Honda and get the Toro.  Seemed like the better fit for you and especially your wife. 

This message was modified Jan 16, 2011 by Paul7
Steve_Cebu

Reply #48   Jan 16, 2011 4:38 am
Paul7 wrote:

I wasn’t necessarily thinking of you Steve.  But more so when someone is looking for a snow blower, has a $1,000 budget and someone recommends a $3,000 machine.  Yes the more expensive machine is better and will get the job done quicker but why stop there.  Why not spend recommend spending $20,000 more to get a Bobcat...it’s better and even faster.  Point is neither recommendation is of any use to the poster.

By the way I don’t know if you remember but I was the one who advised you to pay the restocking fee to return the Honda and get the Toro.  Seemed like the better fit for you and especially your wife. 

Oh I agree with what you just said if their budget is $1K and you suggest a $2K unit that's not gooing to work at all. I did see a Bobcat today owned by the city with a snowblower attachment (envy) But that's overkill for most people's needs.

The thing is it costs nothing to try out all the machines at the various dealers that fall within the buyers budget. What is a factor for one person or even a dealbreaker like the Honda was for my wife, another person might not even notice.

But there are good brands and crap brands and good and bad within the good brands themselves. Toro and Hondas leaking fuel for example. Both good machines but not perfect.

I recall your suggesting that and I really do appreciate it.  Now my wife is will spend time and gas doing the entire driveway herself tomorrow for practice. We had about 2 inches of powder last night. I might or might not take any videos. She never could have done the driveway with the Honda. Now she's eager to use the Toro. ....and since we've no where to go..... Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

shiva916

Reply #49   Jan 16, 2011 9:46 am
Good to see it looks like others may have felt the same way i did. Not to single out anyone in particular, and i think it's great that some people will go all out to show brand loyalty but it tends to make post quickly get off topic.

Steve...lucky man that the Mrs. wants to get out there and use your toro, mine only looks at it and says that its in the way.  I shouldn't say that, on the first storm that i used it out I got her to make about 2 passes down the driveway, then she thought it was kind of fun. Sorta like all sorts of chores, seems kinda fun at first, but it quickly gets old. Although I can't say the task seems old yet with the new machine. With my last junker it truly was a crummy task. I guess thats what a better piece of machinery will do for you.

borat

Reply #50   Jan 16, 2011 10:12 am
For me, operating a good running machine tossing snow 35 to 40 feet, never gets old.   I really enjoy it.  However, on the flip side, an unreliable piece of junk dribbling snow down the side of the machine is anything but fun.
aa335

Reply #51   Jan 16, 2011 10:54 am
borat wrote:
For me, operating a good running machine tossing snow 35 to 40 feet, never gets old.   I really enjoy it. 

+1

If I can toss it from my lawn back to the driveway without the neighbors watching, I'd do it too. 
Steve_Cebu

Reply #52   Jan 16, 2011 1:24 pm
shiva916 wrote:

Steve...lucky man that the Mrs. wants to get out there and use your toro, mine only looks at it and says that its in the way.  I shouldn't say that, on the first storm that i used it out I got her to make about 2 passes down the driveway, then she thought it was kind of fun. Sorta like all sorts of chores, seems kinda fun at first, but it quickly gets old. Although I can't say the task seems old yet with the new machine. With my last junker it truly was a crummy task. I guess thats what a better piece of machinery will do for you.

Thanks, she's a great gal, The only problem is we have a lot of sun this morning and it's all melted for the most part. I think she can do the EOD but other than that there isn't much left for her to blow. I think it's because the Toro is very easy to use compared to others that we tried/bought. The twin trigger steering should be an industry wide standard IMO. It makes it so easy. The quick chute is very fast and easy. I think if we still had the Honda I'd be out there myself with her filming but not using it.

Replies: 43 - 52 of 52Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42