Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > *#@%# ING GAS CAN SPOUTS ! What Can We Do ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

*#@%# ING GAS CAN SPOUTS ! What Can We Do ?
Original Message   Nov 29, 2010 9:37 am
OK, the new improved Government mandated no spill venting spouts on all the new gas cans are useless, so where do we go now ?   We need spouts that put the gasoline in the gas tank and don't spill it all over you, the ground, the lawn mower-snow blower- leaf blower-chainsaw-tiller-lawn tractor etc., etc. the way these useless, impossible to use new government 8#@%#ING POS spouts do.  The Gas can needs a cap to seal them properly, and a flexible spout long enough to get into the car if needed, and I don't care about the venting because the VOC emissions from all the spilled gas is about 100 times worse than the old usable gas cans of yesteryear. Can we buy them in Canada ?  Mexico ?  Someplace that isn't run by idiots ?  Ideas ? ? ?
Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
JGtravelor

Re: *#@%# ING GAS CAN SPOUTS ! What Can We Do ?
Reply #18   Jan 14, 2011 4:55 pm
Looks like a novel idea with the thumb buttom. I see they didn't add any static warning labels for those blowing themselves up on cold, dry days, sliding the can across the rug of their trunk or on plastic truck bed liners to build up a nice charge to shoot to the grounded gas nozzle.

For small two gallon cans a simple funnel will work to get cas into a car. For filling a snow blower or lawnmower I don't see what the problem is unless there are different types. I attached a link for a good one that clearly shows how it is used.

They sell the long flexible tip funnels usuallly used to reach the car's automatic transmission filler pipe at Pep Boys, Autozone or the like.

For the heavy 5 galllon gas can, I went to Grainger and bought the bulb type syphon tube. I got this so if I wasn't home and my wife needed to fill the generator she wouldn't have to pick up heavy  gas can and make a mess and cause a fire.

Just place the gas can on a plastic milk crate as a stand to help with the syphon.

Put the fill line in the gas tank. Squeese the bulb a couple times and the gas runs through the clear line into the tank with no mess. To stop the flow twist open orange cap that lets the air in to stop the suction.

With this setup you don't have to touch anything with gas on it.

Paul7

Reply #19   Jan 14, 2011 5:52 pm
They are starting to make everything with the "no spill" spout so this may not hold true.  The last time I was at Lowes to buy a plastic gas can I cringed when I saw they all had the "enviro" spout.  Then I noticed that the plastic Kerosene cans had a plain normal spout so that's what I bought.  It was made by the same manufacturer as the gas one and was identical in every way except the spout and it was blue instead of red.
lseap107

Reply #20   Jan 14, 2011 6:54 pm
I have found this type of sput to work very effectivly.  You turn the gas can over and just push the button and the gas comes out.  Release the button to stop the flow.  They sell them on amzon with the can or just the spout.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9JN4S/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000W9LRQK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04DFQ31W809BTFFYH5NH

No-Spill 1450 5-Gallon Poly Gas Can (CARB Compliant)

krislu

Reply #21   Jan 14, 2011 7:16 pm
This was my answer. It is not cheap but I am very satified. - Kris

Justrite

http://www.labsafety.com/JUSTRITE-UNO-Type-II-Safety-Cans_24552552/

billywhiskers

Reply #22   Jan 14, 2011 7:27 pm
Here in Quebec it is illegal for a gasoline seller to fill anything but an approved container. People used to fill most anything with a screw cap at one time. Now all of the approved containers have a ' UL '  ( Underwriters Laboratories ) stamp but there is still what I see as a major oversight. The container itself is tested and approved but obviously the caps, spouts and seals are not. All of the plastic gas contianers I've seen in recent years use a rubber 'O' -Ring as a gasket to fit between the spout and the container. They don't form a tight seal and the gas nearly always spills all over the place when you tip the can. The old system used a flat rubber washer which did form a leak-safe seal. I've looked for these large rubber washers unsuccessfully for a long time and even went as far as to fashion a couple out of the right thickness rubber I found laying around my shed.

A couple of years ago I bought two spring loaded replacment spouts. They have a bit different gaskets...not 'O' Rings but rather molded rubber gaskets which are finicky to get seated on the spout bases but tight when on there properly. I find these spouts quite good, The gas can be tuerned upside down and the gas only starts to come out when downward pesssure is exerted on the tip of the spout. I forget who makes them though.

aa335

Reply #23   Jan 15, 2011 12:04 am
lseap107 wrote:
I have found this type of sput to work very effectivly.  You turn the gas can over and just push the button and the gas comes out.  Release the button to stop the flow.  They sell them on amzon with the can or just the spout.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W9JN4S/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000W9LRQK&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04DFQ31W809BTFFYH5NH

No-Spill 1450 5-Gallon Poly Gas Can (CARB Compliant)

I have two of these, a 2.5 gallon and a 5 gallon.  The valve is easy to operate, the anti spill flow stop works well enough. 

The black cap thing is difficult to remove while trying to depress the two wings on the side.  I almost need a third hand to do it.

This brand is one of the better ones, but I think the cap removal should be easier.
tkrotchko

Reply #24   Jan 15, 2011 8:05 am
Try looking at garage sales and smaller, older hardware stores that probably have a few cans left over from a few years ago. I bought some kerosene containers like this last year for my heater, and I thought it was needless overkill. If the EPA is going after this stuff, then their work is complete and they can go home.
aa335

Reply #25   Jan 15, 2011 8:43 am
You can thank California for mandating how the rest of the nation uses gas cans and OPE.
Bill_H

Reply #26   Jan 15, 2011 1:39 pm
I wish more manufacturers would do like Ronny Barrett did and just tell Califonia "NO" and refuse to do business there. Then take out a few ads to let the people of the state know why.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Loblolly77

Reply #27   Nov 19, 2014 10:01 am
Another vote for NO-SPILL brand if you want a poly can.

(I have the earlier versions without the wings on the caps)

For a metal safety can with all the certs. I really like the Eagle type I safety can in 5 gal size (with the yellow pour funnel). I get mine at TSC. When they are empty, I pour a few ounces of Stabil 360 to keep the interior rust free, but that may not be really needed.

http://eagle-mfg.com/product/Type-I-Safety-Can-5-Gal-Red-with-F-15-Funnel-.aspx

This message was modified Nov 19, 2014 by Loblolly77
Replies: 18 - 27 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42