Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > *#@%# ING GAS CAN SPOUTS ! What Can We Do ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
New_Yorker

Preach the Gospel always, use words when necessary

*#@%# ING GAS CAN SPOUTS ! What Can We Do ?
Original Message   Nov 29, 2010 9:37 am
OK, the new improved Government mandated no spill venting spouts on all the new gas cans are useless, so where do we go now ?   We need spouts that put the gasoline in the gas tank and don't spill it all over you, the ground, the lawn mower-snow blower- leaf blower-chainsaw-tiller-lawn tractor etc., etc. the way these useless, impossible to use new government 8#@%#ING POS spouts do.  The Gas can needs a cap to seal them properly, and a flexible spout long enough to get into the car if needed, and I don't care about the venting because the VOC emissions from all the spilled gas is about 100 times worse than the old usable gas cans of yesteryear. Can we buy them in Canada ?  Mexico ?  Someplace that isn't run by idiots ?  Ideas ? ? ?
Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
alty

Re: *#@%# ING GAS CAN SPOUTS ! What Can We Do ?
Reply #8   Dec 1, 2010 5:35 pm
LOL   I thought I was the only one that thought that way about those ridiculous gas cans in most all of the stores around.

Has anyone tried these no-spill gas containers? 

http://www.nospill.com/index.php

daniel

Reply #9   Dec 1, 2010 5:45 pm
Those Eagle cans look really nice on amazon, they have a 2 gallon can for $36, can't really tell how the spout is set up though.  I was thinking i would like to pick up a nice metal 5 gallon jerrycan or two that I could mount on the back of the jeep for when i go mall crawling though.  Does anyone have any experience with somewhere to get one that will serve well for filling up the lawnmower/snowblower?  and looking at wikipedia, it looks like they are exempt from the federal laws! bonus.

Thanks,
Dan

Toro 826 OXE Snowblower, Echo PB-500 backpack blower, Toro 22" high wheel recycler mower, Jeep Wrangler JK Unlimited 6 spd :)
Steve_Cebu

Reply #10   Dec 1, 2010 6:36 pm
alty wrote:
LOL   I thought I was the only one that thought that way about those ridiculous gas cans in most all of the stores around.

With the exception of that Eagle gas can for an insane $67 the only ones you can buy now are the stupid no spill (yeah right) containers that spill 10 times more than any other container I have owned. I need 3 hands to use the damn thing as it won't stay locked in the open position. I don't like metal cans too much chance for a spark, but they don't make plastic ones that work any longer.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Shryp

Reply #11   Dec 1, 2010 6:48 pm
The no spill ones work great for 2 cycle equipment.  The end doesn't even fit in the gas tanks anymore!

Luckily the small can I got came with a funnel.  Still a PITA though.

They were really bad when I first got them, but after getting used to them I do ok now.
One big thing I learned was bleed the air out before trying to use it, otherwise it really makes a mess.

I have a 5 gallon one of this style that works pretty good for the lawnmower.  This is the one I usually use for OPE now as it seems pretty usable.

I have 1 of this style too, don't really use it much but it seems annoying.

I also have a couple like this only all black spouts.  These are the ones that taught me to bleed the air first.

The funny part if every time I use one of the style you have to "shove it in and push" I can picture the spout breaking off.  That out to be good for avoiding spills.
This message was modified Dec 1, 2010 by Shryp
aa335

Reply #12   Dec 1, 2010 7:39 pm
I have gas cans of various sizes and shape.  Each of them works differently and all are a pain to use.  Seems like none of these manufacturers have the gas cap and spout design right.  The worse is that first one picture.  They're available everywhere and it's just pure junk.  I can't believe they charge so much for that stupid valve / spout, $10 for an assembly of crappy plastic parts.  Kid's toys are built better than that.
Catt

Reply #13   Dec 1, 2010 7:57 pm
Steve_Cebu

Reply #14   Dec 1, 2010 10:18 pm
I have the first one in that pic and I really hate it. I will probably buy a 1 gallon as it's easier to fill up the Toro with. Then get my wife to use 2 hands to @%$&^# with the vented cap while I pour it into the 1 gallon size every few storms. The EPA really blew it with these new gas cans.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
daswede

Reply #15   Dec 2, 2010 8:59 am
I found those fancy gas tanks with the squeeze ,pull,rotate,etc. pouring spouts to be more of a problem than they are worth. Especially,when they freeze in cold weather.
aa335

Reply #16   Dec 2, 2010 10:17 am
Shryp wrote:
I have a 5 gallon one of this style that works pretty good for the lawnmower.  This is the one I usually use for OPE now as it seems pretty usable.

This is the worse gas can I've ever bought, made by B***z.  Awful lever/valve design.  Holding a 5 gallon gas can that weights 40 pounds while trying to activate a 1/4" x 1/8" lever with one of your available fingers so you can squeeze the lever is an exercise in frustration.  They work on lighter 1 gallon cans, but not 5 gallons.  I had mine popped off after 6 months of use.  And they want $10 for replacement, $2 worth of plastics molded overseas.  I am never buying any products made by this company ever again.  Pure junk.

These non-vented gas cans are a tree hugger's dream, but an absolute flop when it comes to usability, ergonomic, and practicality.  They balloon in the summer and implode in the winter.  I have to frequently open the gas cap to equalize the pressure.  Now all my gas cans have taken a set being imploded since the weather is cold.

This is what happens when we let one state of the union in the west coast that's about to slide into the Pacific Ocean determines what's best for the rest of the country.  Crappy gas, gas cans that don't work, and finicky carburetors.  Can't wait until they start putting catalytic converters on string trimmers.
This message was modified Dec 2, 2010 by aa335
aa335

Reply #17   Dec 2, 2010 10:56 am
alty wrote:

I think I have the 2.5 gallon No-Spill can and so far, this is one of the better ones.  I like the simple one button press to start the flow.  I also like the spout being external so no need to take a wet spout of the gas can and mount it on the outside to pour.
Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42