Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow thrower noob, Need advice please.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
drifter

Snow thrower noob, Need advice please.
Original Message   Oct 13, 2010 12:06 pm
Hi Everyone, snowblower noob here.

First off, GREAT forum. :vg: I've spent the last few days researching here, and the amount and quality of information is superb.

I live in SouthWestern Quebec.(1 hour n/w of Montreal) Our annual snowfall averages around 7 feet. We rarely get storms that'll dump 1 foot of snow, but it does happen.

My driveway is roughly 135' long, double-width, and a "Y" that extends around the front of the house. Total sq. footage of paved surface is over 4000 sq.ft. My driveway has a sloped entry of approximately 15-20 degrees, and 50' long, and the mouth of the entrance is roughly 40' wide. That 40' mouth is a bear to shovel out after the friendly snow-plow dude buries me in.

About me, I'm 62, and just recovering from a back injury which has kept me off work for just over 4 months now. In the past, I've been shoveling the driveway with a snow-scraper. This year, I'm going to buy my first-ever snow-blower.

After reading through many threads here, I realize there are many Ariens fans here. Although I've looked at the Ariens machines in the past, I think I'm going to go with the heavy-duty Troy-Bilt 33" machine. I'm still flexible at this point, and I'm also considering the Ariens 30"/305cc machine, but I intend to purchase by next weekend. (Oct.17th) I'm interested in your comments and opinions.

The Troy-Bilt unit I'm presently looking at has a 357cc OHV PowerMore engine w/electric start, 16" impeller and augers, 16"x6.5" tires, halogen light/hand-warmers, remote chute direction-deflection, and a 4 year warranty, for $1899. CDN. At 379 lbs, it strikes me as being a much more robust machine than the smaller 30" Ariens unit that I'm also considering (305 cc/$1599./245 lbs). Financing for the Troy-Bilt is 0% interest, no payments, no fees, for 1 year. I'm looking for a unit that can throw at least 30', and preferably over 40'. While the Ariens "32" Pro" series looks interesting, it's also $800. more than the Troy-Bilt here in Quebec, with a shorter 3 year warranty.($2699.)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/2 ... ?locale=en

http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stor ... PartNumber

I have no intention to use this machine commercially btw, otherwise, I might consider the Ariens 32" Pro series. The smaller Ariens unit (30") has smaller tires than the Troy-Bilt(15"??), no hand-warmers, manual chute deflection, smaller motor, smaller frame, shorter warranty, smaller augers and impeller, but it's $300. less than the Troy-Bilt. Doesn't seem worthwhile. What do you guys think?

The Troy-Bilts' "PowerMore" 357cc engine is manufactured in China, by the same folks who manufacture Harley-Davidson engines. It has a cast-iron cylinder-sleeve, cast-iron cam-shaft, and forged-steel crank-shaft. I'm presently awaiting confirmation of the16"  impeller rotation-speed from MTD..If it's the same as the 12" model, it should be 1123 rpm. That would put it at roughly the same tip-speed as a 14" impeller, turning at 1300 rpm. (roughly 53-54 mph.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Bob

Replies: 160 - 169 of 170Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
shawnd2

Re: Snow thrower noob, Need advice please.
Reply #160   Nov 24, 2010 5:21 pm
I found this post, as I too am looking at snowblowers.  I had my heart set on a Honda 724 TCD, however was wondering if anyone had any experience with Yamaha's?  They look quite similar and are priced a little better.

http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/index.php?group=G

Thanks

Shawn

borat

Reply #161   Nov 24, 2010 5:49 pm
"The Troy-Bilts' "PowerMore" 357cc engine is manufactured in China, by the same folks who manufacture Harley-Davidson engines."

Is this fact?  HD engines are built in China?   Would it be possible to provide a link to where you got this info?  I'd appreciate it.
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #162   Nov 24, 2010 10:46 pm
drifter wrote:
FrankMA,

I'm probably going to store it outside, next to my back door, at least for a little while. My garage is crammed FULL with woodworking machinery, and I'd have trouble squeezing another drill-bit in there. I also find that snow is less prone to stick to metal, if the blower is the same temperature as the outside air. I'm probably going to build a storage shed for it, as well as my other OPE, patio stuff, tires, etc. I've been procrastinating too long about that already.

If I don't build the shed this Fall, I'll probably park the snow-thrower on a wood pallet, to keep the machine off the ground slightly, and promote air-circulation, while avoiding water accumulation / puddles, etc. I'll keep looking for a cover. My dealer wants $115. plus tax for one, yet I've seen the Honda covers on eBay for $61.99 and shipping. Problem is, they advertise shipping only in the lower 48 states, and I'm in Quebec. I'll contact them to see if they'll consider shipping here. In the meantime, I'll find something to shelter it from the elements. A generic cover should do for a while.

drifter, I've kept my MTD outside (behind the shed, under a plastic tarp, up on 4" cement blocks) for the past two summers with no signs of corrosion or any other damage.  The tarp keeps the rain off but is at least a foot off the ground to ensure lots of circulation. I'm a bit skeptical about an oem cover that would touch the ground and create a little microclimate inside. Can you say mushrooms.

Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #163   Nov 24, 2010 11:15 pm
borat wrote:
"The Troy-Bilts' "PowerMore" 357cc engine is manufactured in China, by the same folks who manufacture Harley-Davidson engines."

Is this fact?  HD engines are built in China?   Would it be possible to provide a link to where you got this info?  I'd appreciate it.

LOL, what a bunch of BS. Even Canadians know that H-D motors are assembled in Milwaukee, WI.  Every time we make a NFL road trip to see the Bears or Packers we make sure to stop in for factory tours at Kohler (twice), Miller (twice) and H-D (once).  Buy domestic or from your good neighbours!

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

borat

Reply #164   Nov 25, 2010 10:27 am
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
LOL, what a bunch of BS. Even Canadians know that H-D motors are assembled in Milwaukee, WI.  Every time we make a NFL road trip to see the Bears or Packers we make sure to stop in for factory tours at Kohler (twice), Miller (twice) and H-D (once).  Buy domestic or from your good neighbours!

After reading that, I did some searching and found this site where they stated that they make HD engine components.  I find that a little unsettling although, not unbelievable.  Here's a link that implied Powermore having some sort of affiliation with Harley Davidson. 

http://movingsnow.com/2010/09/powermore-craftsman-troy-bilt-yardman-cub-cadet-ohv-winterized-engines/
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #165   Nov 25, 2010 10:42 am
I guess I stand corrected and apologies are in order but "This manufacture also works with other brands you know and trust like Harley Davidson to deliver high quality engine components." is kind of vague. And scary.
This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by NotMoneyGuy

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

borat

Reply #166   Nov 25, 2010 1:42 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
I guess I stand corrected and apologies are in order but "This manufacture also works with other brands you know and trust like Harley Davidson to deliver high quality engine components." is kind of vague. And scary.

You can rest assured that Harley Davidson would not want to publicize to what extent they use foreign content in their machines, especially Chinese, since their engine building reputation is commonly associated with mass produced crap.  Which I don't entirely agree with. 

The HD cult is built on the illusion that the machine is an American thoroughbred and that's the line Harley Davidson feeds to their customers, whom in most  instances don't do their homework.  As a result, they swallow it, hook, line and sinker and ride away on a bike that is anything but.  
This message was modified Nov 25, 2010 by borat
drifter

Reply #167   Nov 25, 2010 3:56 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
LOL, what a bunch of BS. Even CanadiansTHINK that H-D motors are assembled in Milwaukee, WI.  Every time we make a NFL road trip to see the Bears or Packers we make sure to stop in for factory tours at Kohler (twice), Miller (twice) and H-D (once).  Buy domestic or from your good neighbours!

There,,, I fix't it fer ya.
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #168   Nov 26, 2010 11:23 am
Thanks Drifter. But I know that I did see them making H-D motors at W Capitol Dr & Zoo Fwy in Wauwatosa (Milwaukee), WI. Cheers!

drifter

Reply #169   Nov 26, 2010 4:58 pm
Yeah, I  have no doubt, but unfortunately things change quickly these days. Every day, more and more "stuff" is being manufactured overseas. Funny though, even though the costs drop like crazy for the business people, the prices keep rising for the poor sap paying for many of the goods. Gordon Gekko  ( Michael Douglas / Wall Street ) is alive and well I guess.
This message was modified Nov 26, 2010 by drifter
Replies: 160 - 169 of 170Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42