Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Which single stage has the most power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
chefwong

Which single stage has the most power
Original Message   Oct 27, 2010 8:36 am
Preface: I've have has a HS520. Due to space contraints, etc - I'm not looking at 2 stage. Single stage for the most part is a perfect fit just short of....living on the right side and the plows only plow to the right so I cam constantly getting plowed in... Throw is fine already on the HS520. I was only curios does the 421/221 or even any current models on the market may have a bit more bite on the EOD/overnight plowed snow...
Replies: 85 - 94 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
chefwong

Re: Which single stage has the most power
Reply #85   Nov 24, 2010 10:00 am
aa335

Reply #86   Nov 24, 2010 10:03 am
How much did you get this for? 

Checking out your chassis S/N, it is actually older than mine.  That's in really good condition! 
This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by aa335
chefwong

Reply #87   Nov 24, 2010 10:08 am
A little bit more than what I had set my limit to, but I paid $300 for the unit.
Add another $225'ish in parts on order...

ahemm, cough cough, thanks or no thanks to someone who got me jonesying for a 621.
I swear, I promise, I'm done scouring craigslist and ebay for any more snowblowers this season.....I promise
aa335

Reply #88   Nov 24, 2010 10:18 am
You're welcome.  I'm just a catalyst to get things started.  You know who to ask if you want to spend money.  :)   If you're done for this season, there's always next season.  That should be spring.

What was the original asking price?

You got a decent deal for $300, not a steal.  Something in that condition around here, which is rare to find, would easily fetch $400.  Considering the age of your unit, I say it has been living a pampered life.  You did good!

How's that shed coming along?  Did you make extra room for new acquisitions?  Little 'red is just a small hobby, big 'blue is what's going to break the bank.  :)
aa335

Reply #89   Nov 24, 2010 10:22 am
Just looking at the pictures again more carefully.  Is that auger bent?
Steve_Cebu

Reply #90   Nov 24, 2010 12:13 pm
aa335 wrote:
Just looking at the pictures again more carefully.  Is that auger bent?

That's what I was thinking, looks like it hit something pretty hard.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
chefwong

Reply #91   Nov 24, 2010 1:58 pm
U know I did notice the pic as I was imported them off the camera card.
It is slightly bent it or is it by design ????

I looked at the welds, how it was on the shaft, etc afterwards.
It spins fine and there is a hairs breath from the rubber to the bucket when I spin it.
But nothing rubs and it seems fine...
It looks more pronounced in the pic but yes, one side is not perfectly 90 degrees.

AA - can you confirm if it is perfectly straight on both sides ?

Shed is delayed. I have not found the perfect finish for cedar.
I like the natural color of cedar but any clear sealer had no UV inhibitors so it will turn grey regardless....
To get it with UV inhibitors, I need to stain but eh.....I'm not a big fan on staining it .
I would paint it but it's so sacriligous to paint western cedar. While I think paint will be something I like on color
and overall how it blends.....the other half of me is like, NO, cedar should never be painted....

It's kinda like mixing wine and beer together.....
This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by chefwong
Underdog

Reply #92   Nov 24, 2010 2:09 pm
So little rust on this unit. Pretty amazing to find one in this condition.  Did you get any history from the previous owner? Looks like it was hardly used.

chefwong

Reply #93   Nov 24, 2010 2:15 pm
It was kinda weird...I go there to inspect it and I was like can I crank this up ...
He reaches for the extension cord and I was like, no, let's pull the cord.
He does like 6-10 ~wimpy pulls~ and I was like let me try it. Give it a ~good pull~ and it starts right up...

Then he goes on to tells me he has always used the electric start .

I obligly ask if he minds if I drain the oil outside his driveway ....I  brought my small oil vac.
He says sure, no problem and he actually did it for me on the spot.....by tipping the unit over and pouring the oil backwards out of the fill hole.
I asked is this how you normally do it....there is a drain bolt right below, and he told me this was how he has always changed the oil.

So the seller was not the most mechanical, but yes, I thought the condition was in really great shape.....

Except for what appears to be a bent auger, which I did not pick up on till I was looking at the pics.
Hopefully, someone with a 621 can chime in and confirm wheter one side is slight tweaked or fully straight....
This message was modified Nov 24, 2010 by chefwong
aa335

Reply #94   Nov 24, 2010 2:21 pm
That center part should be flat across both sides.  Looks like both sides were bent.

However, it should look like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honda-HS621-HS-621-Snowthrower-Snow-Thrower-Auger-NEW-/250611539091?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a599c9c93

As long as the gap between the bucket and rubber is small, it should not affect the function.   Try spinning under engine power to see if auger vibrate and out of balance.

If it bothers you, return your new paddle set and consider buying that auger assembly on ebay, it comes with the new rubbers.  So essentially,  $160 for the metal auger.

My auger is bent too, slightly on one side.  I'd probably consider buying that auger assembly the next time I need new rubbers.  But it's so miniscule, I might just overlook it.
Replies: 85 - 94 of 145Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42