Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > How do I avoid paying for a front weight kit for my 16hp simplicity

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mylestone

How do I avoid paying for a front weight kit for my 16hp simplicity
Original Message   Nov 22, 2010 4:37 pm
I always wondered why certain driveways were clean to the pavement and mine never was!Now I know,weight to the blade up front.How can I add weight cheaply.I refuse to spend $110 for a painted steel bar,WHAT WILL WORK and is easily made and applied?
Thanks
Myles in Mass
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Shryp

Re: How do I avoid paying for a front weight kit for my 16hp simplicity
Reply #1   Nov 22, 2010 4:40 pm
Any weight should work.  I have heard of people adding sand bags, salt bags, dumbbell weights or any weight they have.  I have never tried any myself.

The other thing would be how your blower is setup.  Is it set to scrape clean or is it set to leave some snow behind?

Are the other driveways using single stage blowers or shovels?
aa335

Reply #2   Nov 22, 2010 4:47 pm
You have a 16 hp Simplicity?  That's a monster of engine for a walkbehind snowblower.

Have you tried adjusting your scraper bar closer to the pavement?  A gap of a paint stirring stick is all it needs.

I would try that first before throwing money at a problem.  :)
Bill_H

Reply #3   Nov 22, 2010 9:11 pm
What aa said, check your scraper blade.  My driveway is pretty smooth, so I've always adjusted my shoes by placing a nickel under each end of the scraper bar and then setting the shoes all the way down. You'll only need additional weight if the scraper bar is sliding across hard packed (driven over) snow.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
FrankMA

Reply #4   Nov 23, 2010 5:35 am
mylestone wrote:
I always wondered why certain driveways were clean to the pavement and mine never was! Now I know,weight to the blade up front.How can I add weight cheaply.I refuse to spend $110 for a painted steel bar,WHAT WILL WORK and is easily made and applied?
Thanks
Myles in Mass

Are you talking about a snowblower or a tractor? You mention a blade so I think you need to clarify what piece of OPE you're trying to discuss.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
borat

Reply #5   Nov 23, 2010 8:47 pm
Go to a scrap yard and buy a suitable piece of 1" thick flat bar - $10.00.  Go to the hardware store and buy two C-clamps $10.00.   Put a thin piece of material (cardboard/plywood) between the flat bar and top of the snow thrower intake housing.  Use clamps to hold it all together.   You might have to use some blue locktite to keep the clamps from loosening.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42