Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Not sure on which snow blower to purchase

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
kman522

Not sure on which snow blower to purchase
Original Message   Nov 13, 2010 8:46 pm
OK, I picked up a site unseen Ariens Compact 26 snowblower for a good deal.  Now that I see it (and own it) I am not sure I want it.  I have about a 300' long driveway and live in the country where I get lots of drifing snow.  I am in the market for something bigger.  I am thinking 30" wide and I sure do like the idea of handwarmers.  I have been looking at several.  The Platinum Ariens, John Deere, Troy Bilt 3090 XP.  I know John Deere is not making their snow blowers anymore.  I heard they are made by Murry??  Anyone know if there is truth to that?

Looking for suggestion on which is the best to buy.  I live in NE Wisconsin and we get plenty of snow.  I want big, no tracks and something most importantly that is going to last with a little TLC.  If I pick a model without hand warmers, can I add them?

Thanks

This message was modified Nov 13, 2010 by kman522
Replies: 9 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
skier1

Re: Not sure on which snow blower to purchase
Reply #9   Nov 18, 2010 12:34 pm
All the ones that Badgerland sells are 4x4's.  Also due to regulations here in Wisconsin as well as the whole US they are limited to 1st gear and reverse, nothing more. You are right I would not want to get into any mess with them I have been in one (i'm 6'5 285) and they are not even as big as a Tacoma, even an old one. But for ranches, remote areas, hunting, all that stuff they are great. He also has Track kits for them, in addition to most of them being dump beds. if you saw that too...
This message was modified Nov 18, 2010 by skier1
Underdog

Reply #10   Nov 18, 2010 1:42 pm
Hand warmers?  Get those little "warming packs" and slide them inside a pair of snowmobile mittens (thank you Santa) and you will be all set.  300 feet of drifting snow is a lot. You can find an old beat unregistered plow truck for less than the price of a snowblower in many places.   My neighbor got a rust bucket  with a fisher plow for $600 (US).  Sure, it doesn't always start and makes the neighborhood look like a slum but I never complain when he's doing my driveway at 5 a.m.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #11   Nov 18, 2010 3:19 pm
skier1 wrote:
All the ones that Badgerland sells are 4x4's.  Also due to regulations here in Wisconsin as well as the whole US they are limited to 1st gear and reverse, nothing more. You are right I would not want to get into any mess with them I have been in one (i'm 6'5 285) and they are not even as big as a Tacoma, even an old one. But for ranches, remote areas, hunting, all that stuff they are great. He also has Track kits for them, in addition to most of them being dump beds. if you saw that too...

Yeah having them be 4x4 makes sense for that purpose. But you see tons of then in Cebu in the Philippines. I lived there for 5 years and they are everywhere. But mostly in the provinces. You won't see any in Manila. They are tough little trucks. Cramped inside, but so far nothing has been better than my Toyota Hi-Lux Diesel which I had over there. That was a great truck and is not a Tacoma with a different badge on it.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
bevans

tougher than the elements...everything in Wisconsin is

Reply #12   Nov 20, 2010 10:22 pm
kman522 wrote:
OK, I picked up a site unseen Ariens Compact 26 snowblower for a good deal.  Now that I see it (and own it) I am not sure I want it.  I have about a 300' long driveway and live in the country where I get lots of drifing snow.  I am in the market for something bigger.  I am thinking 30" wide and I sure do like the idea of handwarmers.  I have been looking at several.  The Platinum Ariens, John Deere, Troy Bilt 3090 XP.  I know John Deere is not making their snow blowers anymore.  I heard they are made by Murry??  Anyone know if there is truth to that?

Looking for suggestion on which is the best to buy.  I live in NE Wisconsin and we get plenty of snow.  I want big, no tracks and something most importantly that is going to last with a little TLC.  If I pick a model without hand warmers, can I add them?

Thanks

Take it back and get the Ariens 26 pro..its a little more money,,...but built better....has hand warmers............better transmission and gear box

support your Brillion Wisc company

Bill

Replies: 9 - 12 of 12Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42