Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Is the Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP really that bad for $1099 ?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Is the Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP really that bad for $1099 ?
Original Message   Oct 5, 2010 10:51 am
Good: price, 357cc engine, joystick chute control, dual trigger steering, heated handgrips, 16x6.5 tires, 30" auger width.

Maybe not-so-good: 12" auger dia., 12" impeller, plastic chute, MTD affiliation?

Consumer reports top pick for value per dollar (not that they are always correct)  Maybe it won't throw the furthest or last 20 years but for the money would you really be doing yourself an injustice if you bought this?  Some others claim to have gotten a good 10-15 years of service from MTD, Murray, Yardman, Craftsman units.  Are there specific issues that make this one a poor choice?  One can always say you should spend X dollars more and get something better but that's comparing apples to oranges.  Dollar for dollar this time, even if it's not what YOU would do...

Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Wildcat_1

Re: Is the Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP really that bad for $1099 ? I paid $881, is that bad ?
Reply #19   Nov 12, 2010 10:26 am
I wish I had found this thread earlier :( I just got what I thought was a screaming deal on the 3090 XP and was looking forward to this being a good unit but after reading some of the comments here am not so sure. I have had a 24" Troy Bilt storm for 4 years and had (touch wood) no issues. I just needed something bigger due to large area to clear so decided to sell the 24 this week. I saw that Lowes had the 10% off Troy bilt and also had another Lowes 10% card so brought the cost on the 3090 XP from $1099 down to $881. I am happy with a number of the upgrades over my 24 but did not know (doh) that the impeller and auger sizes on the 3090 seem to be the same. So, my question to you all is for the $881 I paid what do you think ? Keep it at this good price and see how she does or are they that bad I should take it back and if so what unit would come close in the $1k mark or under ? Thanks all, will keep my eye on this forum in the future WC
This message was modified Nov 12, 2010 by Wildcat_1
slinger

Re: Is the Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP really that bad for $1099 ?
Reply #20   Nov 15, 2010 1:43 pm
I don't think you'll find anything new with similar features for anywhere close to that price.  There are better machines out there but for the price you paid I think you did well. You ought to get a good # of years out of that machine.  I have used the 28" Storm and it performed well aside from steering which was a pain in the @$$, but it didn't have the trigger power steering like yours does.  Just keep it, make sure to perform all maintenance on schedule, etc., and I think you will be a happy camper.
Replies: 19 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42