Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 24" 2 stage snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gotoguy

24" 2 stage snowblower
Original Message   Nov 8, 2010 10:28 am
which of these 3 is the most powerful and reliable?

Simplicity I1224E @ $1099, Ariens ST24E Deluxe @ $996, Ariens ST24DLE Platinum @ $1,290,  Husqvarna 11524E @ $1,300 or Husqvarna 924SB @ $850

Any other brands, models that are better and why?

Also which engine do I want....Briggs, Subaru or LCT?

This message was modified Nov 8, 2010 by gotoguy
Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Outline
giocam

Re: 24" 2 stage snowblower
Reply #1   Nov 8, 2010 6:34 pm
Out of those choices I would get the ariens platinum, just my preference.
aa335

Reply #2   Nov 9, 2010 1:49 am
Simplicity L1224E with Briggs would be my pick.
im45us

Reply #3   Nov 9, 2010 6:42 am
I did a lot of research this year and I went with the Simplicity with Ariens and Toro close behind. Part of my decision was the selling dealer would better serve my for years to come.
gotoguy

Reply #4   Nov 17, 2010 12:50 pm
to close this thread, after checking out each of the blowers above, I just purchased an Ariens Platinum 24" blower model # 921017 from a local equipment dealer.  Paid $1,299+ tax

Initial comments are that the unit appears to be assembled and prepped well.  All the critical fasteners and components have a chaulk mark next to/on them.  All systems/features appear to be functioning correctly and I'm happy to report that after a dozen starts and stops and 20 minutes run time the Briggs 1150 249cc Polar Force engine has yet to backfire.

Thanks to those that replied as well snowmann and slinger to my PM.

This message was modified Nov 17, 2010 by gotoguy
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #5   Nov 17, 2010 1:00 pm
FWIW, just to point out that all the white crayon "X" marks probably came from the Ariens factory.  My factory sealed box contained a unit covered with them.  It made sure that I waxed the machine everywhere as I rubbed them out.  Nice to see this type of diligence and quality control.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

slinger

Reply #6   Nov 18, 2010 10:41 pm
They were all over mine too.  Don't they know how to build them without marking them all up?  In my opinion they (Ariens) should be the ones who cleaned them off after they served their purpose.
FrankMA

Reply #7   Nov 19, 2010 5:17 am
slinger wrote:
They were all over mine too.  Don't they know how to build them without marking them all up?  In my opinion they (Ariens) should be the ones who cleaned them off after they served their purpose.

This is most likely intentional and serves as an indication to the consumer that a quality check was performed on the machine prior to leaving the factory. Just my opinion....

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #8   Nov 24, 2010 10:18 am
I agree with Slinger, for that kind of money, those marks shouldn't be there (forcing the customer to clean it up). Any monkey can slap a chalkmark on the machine. If they want to reassure customers they should include a quality control checklist with the machine, signed by the inspector and then an assembly checklist signed by the dealer.
Cheers

https://t.me/pump_upp
bdresch

Reply #9   Nov 24, 2010 11:54 am
At the factory I work for, line workers are required to mark with a colored marker each fastener and hydraulic fitting to indicate they torqued it with the proper torque wrench.  Each shift gets its own color.  I think this is a pretty standard quality control procedure and is likely what it means on the Ariens machines.
Steve_Cebu

Reply #10   Nov 24, 2010 12:18 pm
bdresch wrote:
At the factory I work for, line workers are required to mark with a colored marker each fastener and hydraulic fitting to indicate they torqued it with the proper torque wrench.  Each shift gets its own color.  I think this is a pretty standard quality control procedure and is likely what it means on the Ariens machines.

I think his point was that the dealer should clean it up before the machine gets sold to the consumer. I agree, no excuse for leaving manufacturing marks on when the dealer sells it. Just clean them off.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #11   Nov 24, 2010 12:28 pm
Agreed, if a dealer doesn't take the time to clean up the a new machine to make it spiffy for the buyer, you'd have to guess what else did they short changed?  Extra details goes a long way. 

Quality is expected when you buy a high dollar snowblower.  I don't need factory marks to reaffirm that expectation. 
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #12   Nov 24, 2010 9:20 pm
If leaving the factory inspection marks on the machine is what Ariens' quality control strategy has been all these years to earn them their good reputation, then far be it from me to criticize them for boxing the units that way. If I buy a cash and carry box from a big-box dealer such as Home Depot and enjoy the associated savings, I have no problem with removing the marks myself.

If I purchased the unit from a full service dealer, I would expect them to have removed these marks along with all their other added fine-tuning and assembly services to justify the premium price.  You get what you pay for, or should.

I bought as much machine as I was comfortable paying for and then provided as much of my own labour to save or compensate on that aspect of the purchase.  Including pushing it home myself on the borrowed HD cart. (Too lazy to go home and hook up the trailer, too much stuff to move).

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

Steve_Cebu

Reply #13   Nov 24, 2010 11:12 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
If leaving the factory inspection marks on the machine is what Ariens' quality control strategy has been all these years to earn them their good reputation, then far be it from me to criticize them for boxing the units that way. If I buy a cash and carry box from a big-box dealer such as Home Depot and enjoy the associated savings, I have no problem with removing the marks myself.

If I purchased the unit from a full service dealer, I would expect them to have removed these marks along with all their other added fine-tuning and assembly services to justify the premium price.  You get what you pay for, or should.

I bought as much machine as I was comfortable paying for and then provided as much of my own labour to save or compensate on that aspect of the purchase.  Including pushing it home myself on the borrowed HD cart. (Too lazy to go home and hook up the trailer, too much stuff to move).

I think many of us have purchased from full service dealers who assembled everything and made sure it was 100%.

If you didn't, no harm, no foul. But I'd be hesitatnt to deal with a place again like for service if they couldn't be bothered to wipe the machine down after they assembled it. But if you picked it up unassembled then no big deal to wipe it down. I had to do the same thing with my huge Weber BBQ grill that we use all year round.

I really need to snap some pics of my wife cooking when it's snowing outside.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
aa335

Reply #14   Nov 25, 2010 11:25 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:

I really need to snap some pics of my wife cooking when it's snowing outside.

Is that before or after she clear the snow off the driveway? 
borat

Reply #15   Nov 25, 2010 2:07 pm
I was fortunate enough to buy one of the last Simplicity snow throwers  built in the Wisconsin plant.   It was a year old when I bought it from an out of the way farm implement/tractor dealership.  The machine had sat for a year in a shipping container out back.  When I picked it up, they had the machine in the service bay putting fresh oil in it.   They had also performed a carburetor repair in accordance with a  B&S engine recall/service bulletin.  The machine was all cleaned up and they had an inspection sheet with each dealer preparation item checked off.  They reviewed the check list with me because that was one of the remaining boxes on the check list that was not checked off.   Those guys were thorough.  As a result, I took home a machine that was properly serviced and adjusted. 

I've done some little tweaks to it here and there and have nothing but praise for this thing.  I put it through it's paces this morning due to five or six inches of wet snow/rain we received overnight.    
Steve_Cebu

Reply #16   Nov 25, 2010 3:20 pm
aa335 wrote:
Is that before or after she clear the snow off the driveway? 

Depends on the weather.

aa335

Reply #17   Nov 26, 2010 9:16 am
borat wrote:
I was fortunate enough to buy one of the last Simplicity snow throwers  built in the Wisconsin plant.   It was a year old when I bought it from an out of the way farm implement/tractor dealership.  The machine had sat for a year in a shipping container out back.  When I picked it up, they had the machine in the service bay putting fresh oil in it.   They had also performed a carburetor repair in accordance with a  B&S engine recall/service bulletin.  The machine was all cleaned up and they had an inspection sheet with each dealer preparation item checked off.  They reviewed the check list with me because that was one of the remaining boxes on the check list that was not checked off.   Those guys were thorough.  As a result, I took home a machine that was properly serviced and adjusted. 

I've done some little tweaks to it here and there and have nothing but praise for this thing.  I put it through it's paces this morning due to five or six inches of wet snow/rain we received overnight.    

I've recently visited an Simplicity dealer.  I looked at the Signature pro model, the smallest one they have, P1524, I think.  I walked away thinking it's a bit better built than other brands, but nothing that impresses me.  The notched chute deflector adjustment on the console was a big no no.  It was notchy and too stiff.  After trying out for a few minutes, I say I could do without the channel welded handles.  It looks impressive, but offers no advantage in stiffness.  In fact, it was just heavy for the sake of being heavy.  The channel could potentially be used for better and cleaner cable routing, but that wasn't the case.

I don't have previous model to compare with in terms of build quality, but from what I've seen on the current model, it's blah.  Definitely one of the negative effects of cross-platform sharing.
gotoguy

Reply #18   Dec 27, 2010 7:50 pm
gotoguy wrote:
to close this thread, after checking out each of the blowers above, I just purchased an Ariens Platinum 24" blower model # 921017 from a local equipment dealer.  Paid $1,299+ tax

Initial comments are that the unit appears to be assembled and prepped well.  All the critical fasteners and components have a chaulk mark next to/on them.  All systems/features appear to be functioning correctly and I'm happy to report that after a dozen starts and stops and 20 minutes run time the Briggs 1150 249cc Polar Force engine has yet to backfire.

Thanks to those that replied as well snowmann and slinger to my PM.

as a follow up to my purchase...got to use my new blower a few hours ago following the1st storm of the season last night.  My Ariens Platinum 24" had no problem with handling 18"+ as well EOD but the front weight kit and tire chains both of which I will order tomorrow should only improve removal.

BTW, engine still hasn't backfired when shutting it down from full throttle.

This message was modified Dec 27, 2010 by gotoguy
Steve_Cebu

Reply #19   Dec 27, 2010 9:44 pm
gotoguy wrote:
as a follow up to my purchase...got to use my new blower a few hours ago following the1st storm of the season last night.  My Ariens Platinum 24" had no problem with handling 18"+ as well EOD but the front weight kit and tire chains both of which I will order tomorrow should only improve removal.

BTW, engine still hasn't backfired when shutting it down from full throttle.

My Toro will ride up if i go too fast even in light stuff but that is more because of my driveway than the machine itself. My wife works out so I have plenty of weight plates lying around. But for me it won't help even in 3 inches of light stuff it pops up too easily on the slight rolling in the driveway and the EOD is way off camber so no love lost there. It's ok tho as 3rd is a comfortable walking speed and I use 1st or 2nd for the EOD to get all of it on the first pass. Going down the driveway I can go much faster than up it.

Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42