Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD drive wheel needed for a track

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

MTD drive wheel needed for a track
Original Message   Nov 2, 2010 6:59 pm

MTD YARD MACHINES (SNOW THROWER) 26 INCH TRAC DRIVE MODEL:315E740F352  ENG: 8HP TECHUMSEH

The Rear Track Drive wheel  is no longer available.  (Part MTD631-0002)

I replaced 1 last year and should have ordered both. As soon as I replaced the broken one the other side started to show the same stress cracks .......!@#&%C$*&%C$

I looked around but to none are available and  I really do not want to take a chance and have the thing break down right in the middle of a storm.

It really doesn't owe me anything and has given me quite a few years of solid service. When I contacted MTD in effort to find one they kind of just shrugged it off.

Starwarrior

-

-

You should not have posted there and I should not have either.  Way off topic to the thread.

I would be doing the googling you are doing in hope of finding someone with NOS on the shelf or ebay as mentioned.  There are a number of guys selling used parts there and don't list everything. 

The drawings for my 10hp track is below.  My similar part is MTD 731-1538A  and supposed to be available.  Mine is held on with a jamb nut.   The drawing for yours does not show what holds it on.   Your idler uses, Hex Ins. Jam.  I don’t know what that is but some sort of jamb think like on my machine.  I would think the axle hole and diameter would be the same on both machines.  Possibly you could modify one like mine for your machine.  Mines a 1997, yours is 1995.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=MTD&mn=317E760F118

This message was modified Nov 2, 2010 by trouts2
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
starwarrior

Re: MTD drive wheel needed for a track
Reply #1   Nov 3, 2010 4:19 pm
Hey Trouts2

I agree, we did get off the beaten path. We are not exactly prompting a smut fest.

Somewhere in America, there will be one sitting on a shelf. It's the where that makes things interesting. 

The Partstree breakdown  of your model  looks almost identicle to mine.

It is almost worth taking a chance just for hoohahs but it is a crapshoot since the part numbers are different.

My wife would just love to hear the Ariens 9260037 that is still in the box in my garage was all for naught.

Yippikiyea!

Starwarrior

Shryp

Reply #2   Nov 3, 2010 4:32 pm
One other thought.

I believe your previous post said that the wheel had stress cracks in it.  Any chance you could drill some holes in it and bolt a metal plaste/disc to it to reinforce the old one?
starwarrior

Reply #3   Nov 3, 2010 5:15 pm
Hey Trouts2

I tried exactly that and made it through the next two snow storms before it totally disintegrated.

I ordered the a new wheel from Partstree and actually had to replace it before I could move it to the shed for the summer.

That is when I noticed the other drive wheel was starting to break. Originally I thought I hit something so I only ordered the 1 wheel, along with a set front skids and a carb kit.

( woulda shoulda coulda) Lucky me, between last March and this October they discontinued the part.

I am actually thinking about trying the wheel from your model.

If the new one works and since the new dog is ready and waiting, the old machine will be the main attraction at my next garage sale.

Thanks,

Starwarrior

This message was modified Nov 3, 2010 by starwarrior
trouts2

Reply #4   Nov 3, 2010 8:17 pm
Dear Mrs Starwarrior,

I hate to inform you that you husband is trying to pull a fast one on you but I'm afraid it's true.  He wanted a new Ariens so bad that he broke the first wheel on the snowblower.  He felt so guilty about doing that and lying to you about it that he fixed it.  Later the desire to get a new machine was too much.   He was overcome and broke the other wheel with a hammer.   He then told you it was impossible to get a new one and got the Ariens.   Shame on him.  Well you should make him take it back and do 3 months of Honey-Doos. And of course fix the old one. 

You can confrunt him with the following and watch him squirm trying to deny he knew anything about it. 

The capture mechanism (nut part number) is the same, both models(1995 & 1997) use the same nut part numbers.  Both use the same part number tracks and  and idler shaft, both the same shaft 711-0911,  and both use shaft 711-1042.  It does not matter that the part number for 1997 model drive wheel is different.  The part number change is not for fit.  It's for something else.

Good Luck Mrs Starwarrior,

trouts2

This message was modified Nov 3, 2010 by trouts2
starwarrior

Reply #5   Nov 4, 2010 9:01 am
Yupperoo,

That's it... You caught me.... I cannot tell a lie.

For 15 years I have been planning my snowblower caper and my cover has been blown.

I am doomed... It's the shovel for me.... I promise I will never do it again.....Cross my heart

LOL

Starwarrior

trouts2

Reply #6   Nov 5, 2010 8:01 am
starwarrior wrote:

I am actually thinking about trying the wheel from your model.

As I posted above the 1997 looks like a match for the 1995.  If you fix your machine please post what you did as I'll everntually come across the same issue.

BlakeryBob03

Reply #7   Jan 12, 2011 4:47 pm
Starwarrior... I had your same problem.  My back wheels on my 95 MTD 826 broke.  Looked forever to find a replacement.     I just found the only route you can go.  A guy in Idaho is making them out of steel.  Just received mine the other day and installed them.  They will be there forever!  His website is FlyingVproducts.com.  Its great cause you can actually call the guy and talk to him and make sure you get the right ones.
Tell him I sent ya
Blake Thackeray
edgenet

If you enjoy doing it, It's not work

Reply #8   Jan 12, 2011 7:49 pm
If you do not want to spend any more cash on the track system pop off the tracks and install a set of Snow-Hog tires and you are good to go

If you are getting paid for what you are doing No matter how much you Enjoy it,   It's a Job
Replies: 1 - 8 of 8View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42