Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New Ariens 11528 suffering from lack of traction

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Chuck1

New Ariens 11528 suffering from lack of traction
Original Message   Jan 27, 2005 5:40 pm
I just came in from blowing about 12' of the white stuff. My machine has about 4 hours on it as it's new this year. I'm starting to notice that I have to push it to get it to dig in. Once this evening, on a clear patch of driveway, with the traction clutch engaged, and the unit in reverse, it wouldn't budge till I yanked on it. What could this be? The manual suggests three things: belt, friction disk and speed selector. Anyone have any hunches as to which one of these it might be, if any?

Chuck

This message was modified Jan 27, 2005 by Chuck1

Ariens 11528, Yard Machine by MTD 6.0HP Mower, Weed Eater GTI-15, Simoniz S1600 Washer, Weber Silver C.
Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: New Ariens 11528 suffering from lack of traction
Reply #8   Jan 27, 2005 6:44 pm
     Marshall,  

What happened to the First ammendent ????

Not allowed here!!!!!

If so, I'm gone!!

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #9   Jan 27, 2005 6:46 pm
Your wheels are not engaging under load, is that correct???  I would also assume it is either 1st gear forward, or sloew gear revers(or R1).  You need to adjust the linkage that connects to your go lever for the drive wheels.  It sounds like it is close, but I would do an initial 2 full clockwise turns and try it.  Then slowly go in 1/2 turns till you find the sweet spot.   GL, BIll.
drinkingbird

Re: New Ariens 11528 sffering from lack of traction
Reply #10   Jan 27, 2005 6:53 pm
Chuck1 wrote:
PK,

The wheels stopped turning in reverse. Seem OK in forward.

Chuck

This is what happened to me when my linkage fell apart inside, though hopefully this isn't your case.  Most likely just needs adjustment.

The part of the owners manual I found helpful was to put it in 1st gear when not running, lift the front and roll slowly forward when depressing the drive clutch gradually.  When it locks up, hold the lever where it was and measure from the top of the tip of the handle bar to the tip of the clutch handle, should be 6.125 +/- .25 inches.  There is a diagram in the manual.  First thing would be remove slack from the cable, second would be to check the belts.  In my case repairing the linkage then pulling a tad more slack out of the cable got it to 6" exactly and there was still a tiny bit of slack in the cable (which there should be)

-Dave

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #11   Jan 27, 2005 6:56 pm
Fred, settle down biggun, no ones squelching you. I was telling you there's no need to tell me, I read as you do. But, I was mainly pointing out that Pauls trying to help this guy out right here in this thread. I just think we could use a little restraint under the circumstances, the man doesn't have to come here and be helpful to our members. 
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #12   Jan 27, 2005 7:00 pm
It seemed like my other Ariens 1128 LE, when put into a big pile of snow (several inches above the auger housing) seemed to stop, even with the auger clutch engaged.  The wheels didn't try to spin.  Can this do any damage to the unit?  I'm usually in gears 1-3.  My unit squeaked when it was moving throwing snow.

Fred, I don't find a problem with you voicing your opinion, that's what forums are for.   

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

jubol

Reply #13   Jan 27, 2005 7:00 pm
Marshall,

I do not see any comments by "Snowman" on this thread!

Where is he ??

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Bill_D

Nice day for a mow!!

Reply #14   Jan 27, 2005 7:01 pm
Refer to figure 18 GB25 in your owners manual.   Or here if you dont have handy.  http://manuals.ariens.com/Owner_Manuals/Ariens_OM/924124_128,335_338,516,517/00294700_eng.pdf
drinkingbird

Reply #15   Jan 27, 2005 7:09 pm
AJace wrote:
It seemed like my other Ariens 1128 LE, when put into a big pile of snow (several inches above the auger housing) seemed to stop, even with the auger clutch engaged.  The wheels didn't try to spin.  Can this do any damage to the unit?  I'm usually in gears 1-3.  My unit squeaked when it was moving throwing snow.

Fred, I don't find a problem with you voicing your opinion, that's what forums are for.   

It will wear the friction disc out very quick and put rubber all over the friction plate, or glaze your belt over smooth rendering it useless (depending which part is slipping).  $7 part either way, but it takes 287.5 hours to replace and clean out the goo :-)

-Dave

AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #16   Jan 27, 2005 7:17 pm
Fred, you'll find the All button between the original post, and the replies.  Click it and you'll find what you've been missing. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Snowmann

Reply #17   Jan 27, 2005 7:40 pm
Chuck1,

If you have plenty of drive in forward, but not reverse, it's likely the shift rod needs an adjustment. It's real easy.

Remove the hair pin from the trunion under the dash. The trunion is the piece that is threaded to the top of the shift rod where the shifter handle connects. Remove the trunion from the hole in the shifter handle. Place the shifter into Reverse 2. Pull the shift rod upward towards the dash panel as far as it will go. Next, thread the trunion up or down the shaft until the pin on the trunion is exactly level with the hole in the shifter. Replace the trunion and pin.

Likewise, the same could be true if your unit did not pull well in first or second forward gears, but fine in R1, R2 and the faster forward gears.

However, if the unit does not pull well in both forward and rearward gears, it's more likely the traction drive cable needs to be adjusted to increase the force of the rubber drive disk on the drive plate.

Paul Koltz

Engineering Leader

Snow Products

Ariens Company

Replies: 8 - 17 of 27Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42