Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > The Role Of Impellers on Snowblower Performance

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DavidNJ

The Role Of Impellers on Snowblower Performance
Original Message   Sep 29, 2010 10:05 pm
I was reading about the Clarence impeller improvement online today. It attaches a rubber gasket to each impeller blade ceiling it against impeller housing. Most who tried it seemed to report outstanding results especially with heavy wet snow. The only place where some reported it may not be effective were on units, such as the Honda, that reportedly have very tight clearances tween the impeller blades and the housing from the factory.

Ariens snowblowers are well-known for their high-capacity high capacity. Well most large snowblowers at 12 inch diameter impellers, the Ariens have 14 inch. That is over 16% faster speed at the end of the impeller blade. Does that give them a decisive edge?

So the question is: how important is the design of the impeller to the overall system performance? Are tight clearances between the impeller and it's housing critical? If so, which brands have the tightest ones? Is the diameter of the impeller critical? If so, did he Ariens and others with large impellers have a distinct advantage? The Clarence kit is inexpensive if you can install it yourself. Should everybody be installing these kits? TheToro has a unique impeller housing. Partially plastic, it has a return for excess snow to be returned to scoop. The effective Toro and edge or is it a disadvantage?

Toro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAAaT_sFss

This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by a moderator
Replies: 71 - 77 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
DavidNJ

Re: The Role Of Impellers on Snowblower Performance
Reply #71   Oct 14, 2010 1:18 am
snowmachine wrote:
• I like my controls but I haven't really experienced others.  Keep in mind that if you don't keep your blower in a heated shed the cables can freeze up.  This can be mitigated with some methods but be aware it can happen.

Which cables froze? Every snowblower has cables for the auger and drive. This sounds a bit unusual.
Shryp

Reply #72   Oct 14, 2010 5:12 am
DavidNJ wrote:
Which cables froze? Every snowblower has cables for the auger and drive. This sounds a bit unusual.
One of my snowblowers has no cables.

The other one has only a throttle cable...
snowmachine

Reply #73   Oct 14, 2010 6:05 am
DavidNJ wrote:

Do a search on forum for 'frozen cables".  You will get hits.

I've had some freeze ups originally when my shed wasn't heated with the deflector chute cable.  Sometimes melted snow will get in the cable end near the chute and make its way down the cable and then freeze up.

Some have put small slits at bottom of cable to drain off water or feed a lubricant down the cable to keep water from freezing up cable.  Even when mine has froze engine heat usually frees it up in short order.
This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by snowmachine
DavidNJ

Reply #74   Oct 14, 2010 6:13 am
Shryp wrote:
One of my snowblowers has no cables.

The other one has only a throttle cable...

How does it operate the traction control lever and the drive control lever?
DavidNJ

Reply #75   Oct 14, 2010 6:14 am
snowmachine wrote:
Do a search on forum for 'frozen cables".  You will get hits.

I've had some freeze ups originally when my shed wasn't heated with the deflector chute cable.  Sometimes melted snow will get in the cable end near the chute and make its way down the cable and then freeze up.

Some have put small slits at bottom of cable to drain off water or feed a lubricant down the cable to keep water from freezing up cable.  Even when mine has froze engine heat usually frees it up in short order.

Tried here and google with frozen cables. Here return your post in this thread, Google a hodgepodge, nothing about snowblowers.

The Husqvarna Crowns have "Premium Grade Cables". Could that be to address this issue?

Shryp

Reply #76   Oct 14, 2010 6:50 am
DavidNJ wrote:
How does it operate the traction control lever and the drive control lever?

Solid aluminum and steel rods.
This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by Shryp
snowmachine

Reply #77   Oct 14, 2010 8:49 pm
DavidNJ wrote:
Tried here and google with frozen cables. Here return your post in this thread, Google a hodgepodge, nothing about snowblowers.

The Husqvarna Crowns have "Premium Grade Cables". Could that be to address this issue?

Goto Google

Search for these terms---->  Abbysguide frozen cable
Replies: 71 - 77 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42