Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > The Role Of Impellers on Snowblower Performance

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DavidNJ

The Role Of Impellers on Snowblower Performance
Original Message   Sep 29, 2010 10:05 pm
I was reading about the Clarence impeller improvement online today. It attaches a rubber gasket to each impeller blade ceiling it against impeller housing. Most who tried it seemed to report outstanding results especially with heavy wet snow. The only place where some reported it may not be effective were on units, such as the Honda, that reportedly have very tight clearances tween the impeller blades and the housing from the factory.

Ariens snowblowers are well-known for their high-capacity high capacity. Well most large snowblowers at 12 inch diameter impellers, the Ariens have 14 inch. That is over 16% faster speed at the end of the impeller blade. Does that give them a decisive edge?

So the question is: how important is the design of the impeller to the overall system performance? Are tight clearances between the impeller and it's housing critical? If so, which brands have the tightest ones? Is the diameter of the impeller critical? If so, did he Ariens and others with large impellers have a distinct advantage? The Clarence kit is inexpensive if you can install it yourself. Should everybody be installing these kits? TheToro has a unique impeller housing. Partially plastic, it has a return for excess snow to be returned to scoop. The effective Toro and edge or is it a disadvantage?

Toro: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTAAaT_sFss

This message was modified Oct 14, 2010 by a moderator
Replies: 61 - 70 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
DavidNJ

Re: The Role Of Impellers on Snowblower Performance
Reply #61   Oct 5, 2010 11:04 am
It adds a question whether prior Ariens performance can be used as a guide.

Was there an impeller change when the speed change was made? I see two possible reasons to make the change: 1) another design change was made and performance was still improved but couldn't handle the faster speed; 2) one or more components were redesigned, probably to reduce costs, and they couldn't withstand the higher loads while meeting safety, reliablity, and warranty requirements.

Do we have the numbers for their Professional models powered by the same 342 Briggs engine?

aa335

Reply #62   Oct 5, 2010 11:49 am
You have got to find a real hobby or get laid more often.  You may be suffering from analysis paralysis.

Seriously man, this OCD is not good.  Get some help.
This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by aa335
iLikeOrange

Reply #63   Oct 5, 2010 12:36 pm
Now we're gonna hear endless dribble about what hobbies are real, how do you define "real", how real can be mispelled, how the structure of the sentance can and may be misleading and how often is too often or perhaps not often enough....

aa335

Reply #64   Oct 5, 2010 12:44 pm
Sad, the diatribe probably will include Marissa Tomei, Obama, a policeman, and an Uzi.

I guess I should brace myself for a 500 word dissertation.  I"m glad my tax money isn't funding this paper.  Or is it?  :)
This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by aa335
slinger

Reply #65   Oct 5, 2010 7:59 pm
trouts2, what machine was that with the 11.5 hp on a 24" bucket?  Would you have to build your own these days to have a power-to-chute-width ratio like that?  Is there something like that available?
DavidNJ

Reply #66   Oct 5, 2010 8:14 pm

1999 110 1100  8-13hp

2002 131 1140  13hp     14 inch impeller

2004 131 1140 13hp      14 inch impeller

2005 121 1209  9-13hp  14 inch impeller

2009        1075  9-13hp  14 inch impeller Tip speed 3940ft/min

2010        1010  9-11hp  14 inch impeller

It would seem the 14" impeller always had a speed 1200rpm or lower, and 1100 or under as often as not.

This message was modified Oct 5, 2010 by DavidNJ
DavidNJ

Reply #67   Oct 13, 2010 2:11 pm
Husqvarna told me today their 'high speed impeller' on their Crown units is 1600 rpm. That would be 5000 ft/min tip speed vs. the 3700-4000 reported on the Ariens and Toro models.

Of course, it would depend on whether that information is accurate. All of the literature lists some models has having the high speed impeller 'feature' and others not having it. The only difference appears to be the pulley on the engine, which may be because of the ratio or because of engine differences.

snowmachine

Reply #68   Oct 13, 2010 5:50 pm
DavidNJ wrote:
Husqvarna told me today their 'high speed impeller' on their Crown units is 1600 rpm. That would be 5000 ft/min tip speed vs. the 3700-4000 reported on the Ariens and Toro models.

Of course, it would depend on whether that information is accurate. All of the literature lists some models has having the high speed impeller 'feature' and others not having it. The only difference appears to be the pulley on the engine, which may be because of the ratio or because of engine differences.

I upgraded this on my Sears Husky.  Thead here:

http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/44687-A-1.html
This message was modified Oct 13, 2010 by snowmachine
DavidNJ

Reply #69   Oct 13, 2010 9:52 pm
The you measure the impeller speed before and after or the pulleys, top and bottom? Did you get a chance to try it on heavy, wet, snow?

On another note, really another thread, how was the deflector extension? Did it help?

And how are the Husky controls? I keep think that the Simplicity/Deere electric will be easier with no hand movement off the grips. However, the Husky's seem well made and smooth with that push release to hold them in place.

snowmachine

Reply #70   Oct 13, 2010 10:04 pm
DavidNJ wrote:
The you measure the impeller speed before and after or the pulleys, top and bottom? Did you get a chance to try it on heavy, wet, snow?

On another note, really another thread, how was the deflector extension? Did it help?

And how are the Husky controls? I keep think that the Simplicity/Deere electric will be easier with no hand movement off the grips. However, the Husky's seem well made and smooth with that push release to hold them in place.

• I didn't measure actual speed but could visually tell fan & auger were both spinning faster.

• I did test on some wet snow and it gave me another 10-15 feet of throwing distance.   I think I measured distance at around 45 feet.  I posted distance in that other referenced thread so I may be off.

• Deflector installed at end of season.  I never got a chance to test it out.

• I like my controls but I haven't really experienced others.  Keep in mind that if you don't keep your blower in a heated shed the cables can freeze up.  This can be mitigated with some methods but be aware it can happen.
Replies: 61 - 70 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42