Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Trying to decide... Ariens Platinum 24" vs Toro 826 OXE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mmiguy

Trying to decide... Ariens Platinum 24" vs Toro 826 OXE
Original Message   Sep 15, 2010 11:30 pm
Really these units are similar, but if you ask a dealer you'd think they were exact opposites.  Never used a lever traction system like the Toro, but did briefly try the auto trac on the Ariens.  I live 1/2 hr from Brillion WI and really do feel an attraction to Ariens, but that is another issue... Help me out guys!  I'll be pissed if I choose wrong.  Price is the same.
Replies: 17 - 26 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mmr_tiggy

Re: Trying to decide... Ariens Platinum 24" vs Toro 826 OXE
Reply #17   Dec 6, 2010 2:27 pm
Slinger,

So how did you make out with the Ariens? I just purchased a Deluxe 28 with the 250cc briggs motor and it does the same damn thing! I very much do not car for the backfiring. I don't think it is good for the engine or my ears. Have you pursued Briggs or HD any farther to see whether you should get a new motor or did you return your machine?
I am really considering returning the machine and probably getting the deluxe 30, the platinum 28, or possible a john deere. (i'm dealing at my local john deere)
Looking forward to hearing from you.
thanks
This message was modified Jan 1, 2011 by mmr_tiggy
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #18   Dec 6, 2010 8:26 pm
slinger wrote:
Well, I need to add my $.02 since I just took delivery of an Ariens Platinum 24 a few days ago.  Purchased online through HD, and set up and delivered by an Ariens dealer who is 80 miles away.....  The bolts that hold the chute mounting rod (1" square steel tubing)  were tightened so as to crush the tubing.  ......  I am going to call Ariens today to see what they have to say about all of this (good luck, right?)

I think that your dealer is to blame for that one, not the Ariens factory. I had to put that piece on in the assembly of my boxed Deluxe 28.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

mmr_tiggy

Reply #19   Dec 6, 2010 8:39 pm
NotMoneyGuy,

Your signature says you own a Dulex 28, does your machine backfire when you idle down from operating speed?
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #20   Dec 6, 2010 9:20 pm
mmr_tiggy wrote:
NotMoneyGuy,

Your signature says you own a Dulex 28, does your machine backfire when you idle down from operating speed?

It has done it once or twice. I will try to slowly turn down the speed as mentioned above.

Edit: Here is a B&S FAQ link.

This message was modified Dec 6, 2010 by NotMoneyGuy

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #21   Dec 8, 2010 8:56 am
Slinger-

Backfiring is caused by the winter fuel and the overlean fixed jet that the govt. requires in today's standards. In the motorcycle community when Harley was using the fixed jet Kehin carbs on the Evo Block ead engines in the early 80's it was standard practice to use a carburetor jetting ream in order to richen the mixture and the backfire and blueing of the exhaust pipes diminished. Harley eventually went to computer controlled fuel injection which is not an option for us.

On blowers as the engine breaks in the problem will diminish a little  but it is something we have to learn to live with.You certainly haven't gotten a "lemon" and will enjoy good service from your machine.

Just a point of interest- When the ope engine manufacturers were first forced to go to fixed jets by the govt. many of us who bought Tecumseh powered units spent the $80 for the old style adjustable jet carb which were still available for the snow engines and the lean run issues went away. Since Briggs had been out of the snow market for about 30 years the new design they introduced for blowers had a new carb with no old ajustable variant available that would fit. The result  is if you got a Briggs you just have to deal with those issues. Interestingly some Briggs owners will report none of these issues with their fixed jet units. This can be explained by the gas available where they live and the altitude at which the engine performs . Honda's don't experience this problem because they manufacture their carbs with several sized fixed jets available.They usually match the engines to the area in which they are sold. I have a pressure washer with a GX Honda that I boought off the net(not from a local dealer).It back fired like crazy until I got my hands on a high altitude jet (rich mixture)and then the problem went away.

Marc

This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
joed

Reply #22   Dec 9, 2010 6:56 pm

This message was modified Dec 9, 2010 by joed
borat

Reply #23   Dec 9, 2010 7:35 pm
Strange.

I've never had an engine that regularly back fired.  I've got several OPE engines within five years old and none of them have that problem.
slinger

Reply #24   Dec 14, 2010 9:30 am
I am just going to let the engine break in a while and see if the backfiring problem diminishes.  For now I just have to try to remember to throttle down very slowly.  The engine seems to run fine at speed so I'm going to just go with it for now..  I guess as long as it's not  hurting anything (as long as I avoid the conditions that cause the backfiring), I can live with it and see if things improve. 
snowmachine

Reply #25   Dec 14, 2010 8:34 pm
mml4 wrote:
Slinger-

Backfiring is caused by the winter fuel and the overlean fixed jet that the govt. requires in today's standards. In the motorcycle community when Harley was using the fixed jet Kehin carbs on the Evo Block ead engines in the early 80's it was standard practice to use a carburetor jetting ream in order to richen the mixture and the backfire and blueing of the exhaust pipes diminished. Harley eventually went to computer controlled fuel injection which is not an option for us.

On blowers as the engine breaks in the problem will diminish a little  but it is something we have to learn to live with.You certainly haven't gotten a "lemon" and will enjoy good service from your machine.

Just a point of interest- When the ope engine manufacturers were first forced to go to fixed jets by the govt. many of us who bought Tecumseh powered units spent the $80 for the old style adjustable jet carb which were still available for the snow engines and the lean run issues went away. Since Briggs had been out of the snow market for about 30 years the new design they introduced for blowers had a new carb with no old ajustable variant available that would fit. The result  is if you got a Briggs you just have to deal with those issues. Interestingly some Briggs owners will report none of these issues with their fixed jet units. This can be explained by the gas available where they live and the altitude at which the engine performs . Honda's don't experience this problem because they manufacture their carbs with several sized fixed jets available.They usually match the engines to the area in which they are sold. I have a pressure washer with a GX Honda that I boought off the net(not from a local dealer).It back fired like crazy until I got my hands on a high altitude jet (rich mixture)and then the problem went away.

Marc

No problems with my B&S. It even has a fixed wide open throttle and never backfires. I always use Stabil treated premium fuel.

EDIT: At about 3K feet elevation as well.

This message was modified Dec 14, 2010 by snowmachine
Steve_Cebu

Reply #26   Dec 14, 2010 8:36 pm
No backfiring on my Toro which has a Briggs & Stratton on it. All last year no backfiring and this year it started up with one pull. I just slide the fuel to off and let it run out by itself and no backfiring.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
Replies: 17 - 26 of 28Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42