Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Catt

John Deere 1330SE
Original Message   Sep 9, 2010 7:18 pm
Last year I bought a John Deere 1130SE snowblower and for the most part I was extremely happy with it's performance. I love the hand warmers, electric chute rotation, easy steer and the front end weight just to name a few.  The only problem I had, which was pretty significant, was the intermittent transmission slipping.  After sealing the transmission housing with silicone and some weather stripping, the problem was completely gone.  The remainder of the winter was very pleasing and I always looked forward to using the 1130.  I also had a second snowblower that I'm trading for a new 1330SE.  So now I'll have the 1130 and the 1330.  The 1130 will be for my business parking lot.  Some of the interesting features of the 1330 is the addition of an electric deflector control and dash area integrated headlights.  So now the chute is totally electric (both rotation and the deflector).  The slipping transmission should be resolved from water getting into the rubber/aluminum disc drive.  To fix this problem, Deere added a rubber gasket between the engine mounting plate and the transmission housing.  I'll try to post some pictures in the future.
BTW, my second choice would have been an Ariens since they seem to give people on this website support from at least one poster.  I wish Briggs, Simplicity or Deere would give the same support.
This message was modified Sep 9, 2010 by Catt
Replies: 76 - 85 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: John Deere 1330SE
Reply #76   Nov 18, 2011 9:59 am
Modern snow threads are designed to work well without chains.  If you need chains because of glaring ice condition, change to less knobby tires and put on the chains.
borat

Reply #77   Nov 18, 2011 10:05 am
Yo Stainless:

Woofy lives in Saskatchewan where the wind turns snow into concrete.  If where you live in Michigan has miles of open fields all around your house, you may experience similar problems.  If however, you're in a relatively enclosed area with lots of windbreaks (homes, trees, shrubs, etc.) you likely will not have much of an issue with drifting hard snow pack.  That is a bit too much machine for your needs.   My driveway is 18 'wide at the narrowest, 35' wide at the widest and 110' ft. long on a 10% grade.   I have a Simplicity 9528 that is more than adequate.  You will find that wrestling one of these things (particularly if you pull it backward uphill because reverse is insanely slow) will be very tiring.  Matching the machine to the job will go a long way to saving your energy and health.  Buying down a bit will also save you a few bucks.  Maybe enough to buy a decent single stage Toro or similar to take care of 90% of the snow you will see.  That's what I did.  My single stage machines see 95% of the snow removal work I do.  The Simplicity only comes out when there's over a eight inches or more of heavy wet snow.   I don't use chains and have never needed them. 
This message was modified Nov 18, 2011 by borat
Stainless

Reply #78   Nov 18, 2011 10:56 am
borat wrote:
Yo Stainless:

Woofy lives in Saskatchewan where the wind turns snow into concrete.  If where you live in Michigan has miles of open fields all around your house, you may experience similar problems.  If however, you're in a relatively enclosed area with lots of windbreaks (homes, trees, shrubs, etc.) you likely will not have much of an issue with drifting hard snow pack.  That is a bit too much machine for your needs.   My driveway is 18 'wide at the narrowest, 35' wide at the widest and 110' ft. long on a 10% grade.   I have a Simplicity 9528 that is more than adequate.  You will find that wrestling one of these things (particularly if you pull it backward uphill because reverse is insanely slow) will be very tiring.  Matching the machine to the job will go a long way to saving your energy and health.  Buying down a bit will also save you a few bucks.  Maybe enough to buy a decent single stage Toro or similar to take care of 90% of the snow you will see.  That's what I did.  My single stage machines see 95% of the snow removal work I do.  The Simplicity only comes out when there's over a eight inches or more of heavy wet snow.   I don't use chains and have never needed them. 

Saskatchewan?  He needs to go buy some potash and help out one of my investments. 

Oh well.  My thinking was that I'd rather have too much snowblower as opposed to not enough.  I'm already making plans for a turbocharger.  I may end up using it for more than my driveway.  I believe a lot of the streets in the neighborhood where I built are currently considered private.  Based on my observations during the build, snow removal last year did not seem very timely.

Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #79   Nov 18, 2011 12:02 pm
In this neck of the woods they use potash instead of salt on the roads in winter.

Bill_H

Reply #80   Nov 18, 2011 12:21 pm
Stainless wrote:

Oh well.  My thinking was that I'd rather have too much snowblower as opposed to not enough. 

No such thing as too much snowblower!

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
borat

Reply #81   Nov 18, 2011 12:51 pm
Bill_H wrote:

I beg to differ. 

As long as it's powerful and light and it doesn't work me half to death, I'd agree with the above.  However, due to the laws of  physics, from my experience, that's not been the case.   Hence my sudden interest in single stage machines.  In most cases, I can clear reasonable amounts of snow just as fast using an SS machine vs. the two stage without anywhere near the fatigue. 
aa335

Reply #82   Nov 18, 2011 2:34 pm
I concur with Borat.  Don't feel like wrestling with a big, heavy, and powerful snowblower when I don't have to.

Snow accumulations less than 8 inches and if the EOD isn't frozen solid, I take out the smaller single stage snowblower.  I can move around easier, get into tighter spots close to walls and things.
aa335

Reply #83   Nov 18, 2011 2:43 pm
Bill_H wrote:

Video Link
FrankMA

Reply #84   Nov 18, 2011 3:17 pm
aa335 wrote:

I think he needs a single stage for that amount of snow and for the size of his driveway, that might be considered overkill as well.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Stainless

Reply #85   Nov 18, 2011 3:20 pm
Looks like he's throwing the heaviest stuff a good 3-4 feet.

When my budget allows, and if deemed beneficial, I might pick up a single stage.  Right now, I wanted to prepare for as many scenarios as possible with a single solution.

Replies: 76 - 85 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42