Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Catt

John Deere 1330SE
Original Message   Sep 9, 2010 7:18 pm
Last year I bought a John Deere 1130SE snowblower and for the most part I was extremely happy with it's performance. I love the hand warmers, electric chute rotation, easy steer and the front end weight just to name a few.  The only problem I had, which was pretty significant, was the intermittent transmission slipping.  After sealing the transmission housing with silicone and some weather stripping, the problem was completely gone.  The remainder of the winter was very pleasing and I always looked forward to using the 1130.  I also had a second snowblower that I'm trading for a new 1330SE.  So now I'll have the 1130 and the 1330.  The 1130 will be for my business parking lot.  Some of the interesting features of the 1330 is the addition of an electric deflector control and dash area integrated headlights.  So now the chute is totally electric (both rotation and the deflector).  The slipping transmission should be resolved from water getting into the rubber/aluminum disc drive.  To fix this problem, Deere added a rubber gasket between the engine mounting plate and the transmission housing.  I'll try to post some pictures in the future.
BTW, my second choice would have been an Ariens since they seem to give people on this website support from at least one poster.  I wish Briggs, Simplicity or Deere would give the same support.
This message was modified Sep 9, 2010 by Catt
Replies: 56 - 65 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: John Deere 1330SE
Reply #56   Dec 26, 2010 5:53 pm
Catt wrote:
Thanks aa335!  I just placed the order.

You're welcome.  I met up with Bob, the person in the video, about 2 years ago.  Good guy.  His product has improved markedly since then. 

When I read your post, I knew he had exactly what you were looking for.  Let us know how it works for you.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by aa335
Catt

Reply #57   Dec 26, 2010 6:01 pm
I recently added a chute liner to my 1330.  I used plastic from a trash can and the deflector liner is aluminum.  I have one on my 1130 that I installed last year and it's been working great.

This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by Catt
aa335

Reply #58   Dec 26, 2010 6:07 pm
Everytime I see this green machine, i want to go out and get one.  I just don't have the space for two 2 stage snowblowers.  If only my neighborhood allows building a shed, I'd rotate between the snowblower every winter.  :)
Catt

Reply #59   Dec 26, 2010 6:22 pm
aa335 wrote:
Everytime I see this green machine, i want to go out and get one.  I just don't have the space for two 2 stage snowblowers.  If only my neighborhood allows building a shed, I'd rotate between the snowblower every winter.  :)

My wife says I need snowblower intervention.  My excuse is that I take care of my business snowblowing and my home.  I don't think she's buying the excuse.

Here's my list.

Two Toro Power Clear 180 (One at home and one at work)
One John Deere 1130SE (work)
One John Deere 1330SE (Home)
One John Deere 322 garden tractor with 46" snowblower

Next year I think I'll sell one of the Toro 180 machines and try a larger Toro single stage.  Maybe a 221QE or I guess I'll go with one less snwoblower.
This message was modified Dec 26, 2010 by Catt
aa335

Reply #60   Dec 26, 2010 6:53 pm
Catt wrote:
My wife says I need snowblower intervention.  My excuse is that I take care of my business snowblowing and my home.  I don't think she's buying the excuse.

Here's my list.

Two Toro Power Clear 180 (One at home and one at work)
One John Deere 1130SE (work)
One John Deere 1330SE (Home)
One John Deere 322 garden tractor with 46" snowblower

Next year I think I'll sell one of the Toro 180 machines and try a larger Toro single stage.  Maybe a 221QE.

It's a little premature for intervention at this point.  I don't see any Honda, Simplicity, Ariens, Yamaha, or Toro on the list. 

The PC180 doesn't count as a Toro.  :)
Catt

Reply #61   Dec 26, 2010 6:59 pm
aa335 wrote:
It's a little premature for intervention at this point.  I don't see any Honda, Simplicity, Ariens, Yamaha, or Toro on the list. 

The PC180 doesn't count as a Toro.  :)

You're right!  I had Simplicity until just recently, but I may need to try out a few other brands.
borat

Reply #62   Dec 27, 2010 10:08 am
I made a set of skids like that a couple years ago.  Depending on the thickness of flat bar added to the bottom, adjustability will be compromised.  You may not get the scraper bar as low as you'd like.  On the  other hand, you will get far more wear and as the flat bar wears, the scraper bar will slowly be lowered.  For some reason, the added footprint of the modified skids seem to cause handling issues.  The machine seems to want to pull more from side to side.  I suspect it's due to added resistance/friction when one skid hits bare pavement and the other isn't.  The stock skids have a much smaller footprint and don't grab as much on dry pavement. 

Catt:  Please let me know  if you experience the same handling issues.   
Catt

Reply #63   Dec 27, 2010 10:36 am
borat wrote:
I made a set of skids like that a couple years ago.  Depending on the thickness of flat bar added to the bottom, adjustability will be compromised.  You may not get the scraper bar as low as you'd like.  On the  other hand, you will get far more wear and as the flat bar wears, the scraper bar will slowly be lowered.  For some reason, the added footprint of the modified skids seem to cause handling issues.  The machine seems to want to pull more from side to side.  I suspect it's due to added resistance/friction when one skid hits bare pavement and the other isn't.  The stock skids have a much smaller footprint and don't grab as much on dry pavement. 

Catt:  Please let me know  if you experience the same handling issues.   
I never thought about the potential handling issues and I'll definitely let you know.  Regarding the scraper bar... I use my 2-stage for all of the larger accumulations followed by my Toro 180.  The Toro works great cleaning the drive down to the asphalt.  The paddles on the Toro are almost like a squeegee.  For very small amounts of snow I just use the Toro.  I started doing this last year and my drive and sidewalk  never looked better.  I guess if the new skids don’t work, I’ll just raise the originals even higher.
borat

Reply #64   Dec 27, 2010 10:53 am
I think that a better skid modification would be to weld the flat bar parallel to the skid with the edge of the flat bar being the riding surface.  Grind the ends of the flat bar to shape it to allow it to ride over irregularities.   That way, you'll have plenty of wear material and much less of a footprint to cause resistance.  I'll have to get another set of skids if I want to test that theory.
Twisted_Uterus

Reply #65   Dec 30, 2010 4:32 pm
I finally got a chance to break out my 1330 to tackle the Long Island blizzard of 2010. I had it running for about 2 hours and think it's GREAT!.  I will have to get used to the way the Easy Stear System works as I have never had that before.

The only way I would improve on it is to move the chute controls a little bit closer to the end of the handles. I prefer to walk with my hands at the very end of the handles, putting the controls a bit out of thumbs-reach.

Other than that, this thing is a monster. What would take me 40 minutes with my smaller Craftsman, literally, took me 12 minutes, leaving plenty of time to help dig out the neighbors...

I also bought the "fuel gauge/filler cap" which worked well, and the roller-skids (thumbs-up)

Replies: 56 - 65 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42