Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > John Deere 1330SE

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Catt

John Deere 1330SE
Original Message   Sep 9, 2010 7:18 pm
Last year I bought a John Deere 1130SE snowblower and for the most part I was extremely happy with it's performance. I love the hand warmers, electric chute rotation, easy steer and the front end weight just to name a few.  The only problem I had, which was pretty significant, was the intermittent transmission slipping.  After sealing the transmission housing with silicone and some weather stripping, the problem was completely gone.  The remainder of the winter was very pleasing and I always looked forward to using the 1130.  I also had a second snowblower that I'm trading for a new 1330SE.  So now I'll have the 1130 and the 1330.  The 1130 will be for my business parking lot.  Some of the interesting features of the 1330 is the addition of an electric deflector control and dash area integrated headlights.  So now the chute is totally electric (both rotation and the deflector).  The slipping transmission should be resolved from water getting into the rubber/aluminum disc drive.  To fix this problem, Deere added a rubber gasket between the engine mounting plate and the transmission housing.  I'll try to post some pictures in the future.
BTW, my second choice would have been an Ariens since they seem to give people on this website support from at least one poster.  I wish Briggs, Simplicity or Deere would give the same support.
This message was modified Sep 9, 2010 by Catt
Replies: 88 - 97 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Stainless

Re: John Deere 1330SE
Reply #88   Nov 18, 2011 5:10 pm
I'm already jealous of the Honda snowblowers.  Those things seem to throw snow an absurd distance.
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #89   Nov 18, 2011 5:19 pm
My house is 140 feet from the highway centerline.  With a good avaerage Saskatchewan helping wind behind me, my Honda will throw snows into the field on the other side of the hwy.

borat

Reply #90   Nov 18, 2011 6:27 pm
Dr_Woof wrote:
My house is 140 feet from the highway centerline.  With a good avaerage Saskatchewan helping wind behind me, my Honda will throw snows into the field on the other side of the hwy.

Well, not to diminish the potency of your Honda but I'll put my money on the Saskatchewan wind any day.   Blow into that same wind.  Tell us how far the snow goes. 

Shoot!!  Just throw a handful of snow in the air on the right day in Saskatechewan and it'll end up in Ontario. 
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #91   Nov 18, 2011 6:33 pm
well...just shows you cant fight mother nature.  Make her work for you.  This is where the electric chutes show to advantage.
This message was modified Nov 18, 2011 by Dr_Woof

Stainless

Reply #92   Dec 11, 2011 7:38 pm
Has anyone ever measured their impeller on the 1330SE.  A lot of websites list it at 16".  My owner's manual says it's 14".  After measuring mine, I would say it's actually 12".
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #93   Dec 12, 2011 1:49 am
borat wrote:
Yeah......well, what can I say???

If he had a lot more snow, maybe he might have given a more impressive performance.  As it was, I'd have to say, at best, lackluster if not bordering on the absurd. 

On the upside, I have to say that it certainly turns nicely and with it's bulk likely could push  some serious heavy snow.   He could be assigned the e.o.d. man for the entire block. 

Maybe he could hire himself out for ski resort parking lot snow removal.

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
ihatetivo

Reply #94   Dec 16, 2011 7:50 am
I am considering a 1330SE for two reasons.  First, I have a side-load garage.  In front of my garage doors, a single stage blower can't throw the snow far enough to reach the yard.  I'd like something that will allow me to move the snow in a single pass, without having to throw the same snow two or three times.  In addition, in out in front of my garage, I only have a relatively narrow strip of yard between my drive and my neighbors.  Therefore, accurate and easy control of exactly where the snow is going is key, since I want the snow to pile up in that strip of yard.  The 1330SE's electric chute controls for direction and pitch are very attractive, for this purpose.  In all other respects this machine will be overkill, but not sure how to satisfy these aspects with a smaller/cheaper unit. 
RedOctobyr

Reply #95   Dec 16, 2011 11:16 am
I don't know how far this machine throws. But if you would be getting electric controls for chute rotation and height, that might be good for accuracy. One issue that I see with the joystick-type chute controls I have tried in stores is that they seem to have certain detents that they can use. So maybe you can set the chute to 15 degrees right, or 25 degrees right. But not 17 degrees.

A manual crank for chute rotation, as an example, allows that infinitely-variable control (you can do 17 degrees). An electric control is presumably just a motorized version of the same thing, so you should be able to set it wherever you want. One consideration is how fast the chute rotates, for instance, and if you'll be able to make fine adjustments.
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #96   Dec 17, 2011 3:43 am
ihatetivo wrote:
I am considering a 1330SE for two reasons.  First, I have a side-load garage.  In front of my garage doors, a single stage blower can't throw the snow far enough to reach the yard.  I'd like something that will allow me to move the snow in a single pass, without having to throw the same snow two or three times.  In addition, in out in front of my garage, I only have a relatively narrow strip of yard between my drive and my neighbors.  Therefore, accurate and easy control of exactly where the snow is going is key, since I want the snow to pile up in that strip of yard.  The 1330SE's electric chute controls for direction and pitch are very attractive, for this purpose.  In all other respects this machine will be overkill, but not sure how to satisfy these aspects with a smaller/cheaper unit. 

Do you really need the JD 30-inch width?  That's getting pretty big.  If you don't have a really wide or long driveway, you might want to consider something like the Ariens Platinum 24: 
           http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSLpqQWGys8&feature=autoplay&list=PLD86A1FC30DC408D7&lf=autoplay&playnext=4

You might also consider the Toro 826OXE with a 26-inch width, 250cc Briggs engine, the 4-way joystick Quik Chute control, and the left and right steering triggers.  Very easy to maneuver for both the blower and chute.  Then there is the newer Toro 926OXE with the 265cc Loncin engine that is now replacing the 826OXE.  Same features with a slightly bigger engine, though Chinese. 

Toro 826 and 926 blowers:                                       http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Snow-Blowers/Two-Stage/Pages/Series.aspx?sid=Power-Max
Toro's description of their Loncin engine:                 http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Pages/toro-premium-engine/two-stage-toro-premium-engine-lp.aspx          
Loncin's description of their snowblower engines:   http://www.loncinengine.com/Product60/#Text

Toro seems to be parting ways with Briggs and going with Loncin.  See the bottom line of their History of Loncin General Purpose Engine list:  http://www.loncinengine.com/About7/#Text

Be sure to let us know what you decide.  Good luck.
This message was modified Dec 17, 2011 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
ihatetivo

Reply #97   Dec 28, 2011 3:01 pm
Coasteray & RedOctobyr: Thank you for the comments.

In the end, I opted for a single-stage thrower.  Specifically,  I got the Toro 621 QZR Power Clear.

I found nothing in particular that would have dissuaded me from the 1130SE.  In fact, the more research I did, the more convinced I became of its capability.  However, before pulling the trigger, I mapped out my driveway and tried to visualize using the machine.  In the final analysis, I realized that the majority of my snow would need to be blown into the front yard.  To do so means you're blowing snow directly into the wind.  I had visions of the Deere heroically throwing tons of snow high up into the sky, only to blow right back into my cold, sleepy, and frozen face.  So, I went with the Toro.  We'll rely on hiring someone to scoop us out w/ a blade for really heavy snows, but I will be handling the small-to-moderate amounts on my own with the Toro.  I'll write up a review on here, if there is a thread on Toros.

Again, thanks for the help, everyone.

ihatetivo
This message was modified Jan 1, 2012 by ihatetivo
Replies: 88 - 97 of 97Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42