Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tractor Recomendations?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
dvdkea

Tractor Recomendations?
Original Message   Jun 22, 2010 1:09 pm

I am looking for recommendation on used lawn tractors. I have about 1 acre to mow and it is pretty flat. My budget is about $1,000. I have been looking at older Snapper, Simplicity, and John Deere so far.

I came across a 92 Snapper with 48 inch deck, electric PTO, original owner, and 500 hours on it. Asking price is $900.

Not sure if that is a decent price for that machine?

As with most things, the older machines appear to be much better made. I am looking for recommendation on what Make\Models to look for.

Thanks for the help!!

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
borat

Re: Tractor Recomendations?
Reply #1   Jun 22, 2010 5:17 pm
If it's in good running order and well taken care of, I'd be scooping it up!
dvdkea

Reply #2   Jun 22, 2010 8:44 pm
It is a model  YT18H484K  It looks like they went for $4,300 back in 1992. Is anyone framiliar with this model?
FrankMA

Reply #3   Jul 1, 2010 3:43 pm
That's a good price. You should scour the CL listings in your area as well - decent tractors pop up all the time. Kind of a "right place at the right time"  type of deal.  You can also score some real good deals at the end of the season if not in a hurry. Try searchtempest.com to expand the geographical search area 50, 100, 250 miles, etc...

John Deere, Cub Cadet, Toro Wheel Horse, Wheel Horse, Bolens, Ariens are just a few of the names of well built, older tractors. With a flat acre like you have, you could go with an LT if all you're going to do is cut grass. I'd move up to a GT if you have plans for heavy hauling or using ground breaking implements for a garden.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
dvdkea

Reply #4   Jul 2, 2010 11:39 am
I ended up getting a 2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX. It has a Kawasaki 17 HP Liquid Cooled motor and a 50 inch deck. The ad said "engine needs work" and he was asking $1,200. When I got there, it was blowing smoke pretty bad. He had no idea what the problem was and neither did I. I offered him $800 and he accepted.

I got it home and the first thing I did was check the oil. It was WAY over full!! I drained it to the normal level and it runs perfectly!!  400 original hours on it and he was the original owner. It is in mint condition. He paid $6,000 for it new in 2000. I have all of the original paperwork.

I think i did pretty well!!

friiy

Reply #5   Jul 2, 2010 5:24 pm
You may want to change the oil on the Kaw... Sometimes if they sit and have a carb issue with flooding,  the carb can fill the engine case with fuel and dilute the oil...

Just something to check and keep a eye on...

Friiy

TractorFan1407

I have been involved in agriculture all my existence,

Reply #6   Aug 17, 2010 10:45 am
There are many models to choose from, with that size of a plot I would recommend buying something second hand, search this forum or ebay and find something with less than 500 hours on the clock.

<a href="http://www.unlock.my">Unlock Codes</a>

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42