Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Carlisle Snow Hog tires

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
70chevelless

Carlisle Snow Hog tires
Original Message   Feb 15, 2010 3:37 pm
 Good Afternoon,

I put a set of Carlisle Snow Hog tires on my Toro Snow thrower as I was told these are a very agressive tire the tires that were on her before this were the original Toro tires with chains.

I was told by the Toro place these tires do not need chains & hurt the traction I bought them off the internet & mounted them. Well today was her first big test we live on a hill so the driveway is steep & we get a drift to boot.

It really took a lot for her to come back up the driveway as the tires were trying to bite but just slipping & the blower was wandering all over. So I would like to put chains on her what I need to know is this a good idea?. And is it true that chains hurt the traction of these tires?

I have seen chains for sale for these tires & beleive that our drive is so steep that I need chains but don't want to spend money for nothing. Can anyone tell me what I should do.

Thank you!

Will, 

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Paul7

Re: Carlisle Snow Hog tires
Reply #1   Feb 15, 2010 10:36 pm
There are two things to consider as I learned when I put chains on my old mid 80's Ariens ST504 which came with snow hog tires.  First, chains that have small narrow links have a tendency to sink down in between the knobs of the tire which defeats the purpose.  Chains with wider links should work better.  Second, make sure that you have enough space for the chains to fit in between the tires and the snow blower so the chains don't rub against metal.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: Carlisle Snow Hog tires
Reply #2   Feb 16, 2010 6:15 am
Chevelless- I had an old 1974 paddle wheel Simplicity that had small solid rubber tires to which I put on chains. They tore up my driveway which has a mecatum surface. When I bought a new machine with larger tires (Carlisle Snow Hogs) i found the traction left a lot to be desired but didn't want to go with chains because of the surface damage. After about 5 years of less than satisfactory service from the Snow Hogs and at the suggestion of a friend from another site i put on Carlisle X-Tracs this season. They are as good as chains in my experience. Carlisle is currently not producing the XTracs but you can find them on ebay and other places on the net. One thing should you decide to go for them-There is an arrow molded into the side wall that indicates the direction of rotation of the tire. It is important to mount them so the arrow turns forward (clockwise).

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42