Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Deluxe 24 Platinum or Honda 724

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DaHo

Ariens Deluxe 24 Platinum or Honda 724
Original Message   Feb 8, 2010 7:07 pm
I have had a Honda HS55 snowblower (with tracks) for around 20 years.  It has been great.  I replaced the gas tank once over the years but otherwise have done nothing to it.  It still starts first pull.  It is tiny but seems to outperform my neighbors machines.

It owes me nothing but it is starting to have transmission issues and is generally worn.  I dont think its worth trying to repair and renew it. So I went shopping for a new machine.  I have been steered to the Ariens Deluxe 24 Platinum ($1300) and the Honda 724 (wheels) ($1999).  I am leaning to the Honda simply because of the great experience I have had with my old machine.  But the Ariens appears to be a pretty nice machine also and I could make use of the $600 savings!  I am having a hard time deciding on which is the better choice here.  I dont know much about Ariens machines in general.

I'd love to hear any feedback on this Ariens machine in terms of dependability, how Ariens last, performance etc and any thoughts on whether its worth spending the extra cash on the Honda?

Also if anyone has that Honda 724 I would appreciate feedback on that as well. 

Thoughts?

Huge thanks in advance.

Replies: 5 - 14 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Re: Ariens Deluxe 24 Platinum or Honda 724
Reply #5   Feb 9, 2010 3:13 pm
I would choose the Ariens over the Honda for the simple reason it has a differential. I think the Honda at $1999 is really not good value even if it is a good machine. I have neighbors with the wheeled Honda and they are nothing special when compared with the wheeled top of the line Toro,Simplicity and Ariens units. Good yes ,exceptional no. 

Marc

This message was modified Feb 9, 2010 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Underdog

Reply #6   Feb 9, 2010 5:32 pm
 I do like the Ariens differential. When you get old it nice to have some help turning the snowblower around.
This message was modified Feb 9, 2010 by Underdog

DaHo

Reply #7   Feb 9, 2010 5:40 pm
I found a place in the next town over that sells Simplicity.  I went over to take a look. They have one left, it is a Pro model (I believe its the P1524E model) and it goes for $1750.  Feels pretty solid.  It has a lever to unlock one of the wheels for easier turning, heated grips, a light, and an electric button to turn the chute.

But I dont know anything about Simplicity brand equipment. 

Any feedback on this model, Simplicity in general, and how it compares to the Honda or Ariens?

This message was modified Feb 9, 2010 by DaHo
bevans

tougher than the elements...everything in Wisconsin is

Reply #8   Feb 9, 2010 9:52 pm
Simplicity is owned by Briggs and Statten. Nice machines.

Personally I purchased an Ariens 926037 PRO with a Briggs 1450 engine. I had a7-8 year old MTD 5hp 22" cut and although it did throw snow, it was nothing compared to this machine.

I looked at John Deere 928 annd 1130's. These are made by Briggs and Stratten power and are just painted green and yellow. Good machines but not near the machine the Ariens is. Now bear in mind I live 25 minutes from Port Washington where the Simplicity machines are made, and 20 minutes from Brillion where the Airens machines are made.

I like the Airens just due to the fact it has a true differential without any cables for turning.. It turns easy. It is durable and powerful. My neighbors all have John Deeres but I had used them before I got my machine and there is a big difference in the turning ability. Don't get me wrong the John Deere/Simplicity's are a nice machine, just I think the Airens is much better.

Also, I am NOT affliated with either of these companies, just a 50 yr old guy that wanted the best value for my money. I paid $1,600 for mine. If you want here is the information

MCHENRY POWER EQUIPMENT

3622 ELM STREET

MCHENRY IL.  60050

815-344-7660 

Paul7

Reply #9   Feb 10, 2010 7:39 am
My only advice is to buy a machine that has an easy turn feature.  Either a differential or a remote axle lock/unlock lever will do.  Twenty years ago I used to be like you and simply muscle my snow thrower around but today my back appreciates all the help it can get.   My particular Ariens has one remote lever, so the machine is easier to turn in one direction than the other.  With a differential the machine will turn easily in either direction.  Either system beats muscling it around.

Between the Ariens and the Simplicity it's a toss up.  From the feed back on this board over the years my sense is that Ariens is more of a hit or miss if it's purchased from a box store due to inconsistent set-ups.  Simplicity models may be more consistent because of dealer set-ups.  The differential on the Ariens is attractive but not a reason to select it over the Simplicity.  Personally I used a neighbors snowblower once that had an electric chute.  It was a few years old and was slow.  I honestly could move the manual chute on my snowthrower much faster than that electric chute.  Again that was an older model, today's models may have a faster more responsive electric chute.  The Simplicity looks to be built really well and weighs in at 240lbs the Ariens at 224lbs.  I do like the 16" tires on the Simplicity compared to the 15" tires on the Ariens.
Paul7

Reply #10   Feb 10, 2010 8:29 am
Also I'd stay away from those cheap Japanese imports.  With Japanese manufacturing being called into question these days you don't want to own a snow blower that accelerates on it's own or gets recalled during a blizzard.  (Sarcasm intended...LOL)
superbuick

Reply #11   Feb 10, 2010 9:58 am
DaHo - lots of good information here on this thread. Personally - I think aa335 hit the nail on the head - but you may not want 2 units. I also live in New England, and find that I use the 221 about 98% of the time on my 6-car driveway. But I digress... I think Honda 2 stages are nice, but I think they are overpriced. I think that either the Ariens or the Simplicity will give you more than what you need, and at a more livable price. In terms of robust-ness, I think you'll find the Simplicity to be the top of the pile. While you may not be familiar with the brand, rest assured that they are well known, well respected, and very well built. Also, as Steve Cebu mentioned, give Toro a look too. They are one of the best snowthrower makers out there (their single stages are legendary and absolutely unequaled in capability) and their PowerMax 2 stage units are very impressive and innovative (I have one and love it) The bottom line is - if you buy the Honda, you'll be happy - that's a given, but for less money, you'll be equally happy and have an equally nice, equally robust unit. Not a bad deal at all....
aa335

Reply #12   Feb 10, 2010 10:40 am
bevans,

That banner could be a wee bit bigger, don't you think?
This message was modified Feb 11, 2010 by aa335
aa335

Reply #13   Feb 10, 2010 10:44 am
Paul7 wrote:
Also I'd stay away from those cheap Japanese imports.  With Japanese manufacturing being called into question these days you don't want to own a snow blower that accelerates on it's own or gets recalled during a blizzard.  (Sarcasm intended...LOL)

I haven't come across any cheap Japanese imports (snowblowers).  Let me know where I can find Yamaha, Honda imports for cheap(er).  I haven't heard any cheap Japanese imports of any kind except from the post World War II era.  That's over 50 years ago!  Does anybody still believe that crap?  Let's not continue blasting import products when production is in the US is shrinking everyday.  I kid you not!

Let's leave Toyota out of this discussion.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2010 by aa335
tkrotchko

Reply #14   Feb 10, 2010 11:42 am
"you don't want to own a snow blower that accelerates on it's own"

Actually, I'd love that.  I'd pay extra for it.

"but you may not want 2 units"

I think that's an important point.  I already have 7 gas engines that I have to look after (or is it 8?).  Individually, not a big deal.  But when you have bunches, and you are the repair guy, then you think twice about that.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2010 by tkrotchko
Replies: 5 - 14 of 25Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42