Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens Snow Thro - please help identyfing and repair

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bajdon

Ariens Snow Thro - please help identyfing and repair
Original Message   Jan 31, 2010 12:38 pm
Hi. My name is Krzysztof and I'm from Poland (Europe). I just got Ariens snow blower from my friend and after 2 hours of snow blowing machine stopped working. It was strange to me that muffler is red after few minutes and engine was not perfectly running but my friend said its normal. It was also weak for me, it went down every time I drove into 8inch of snow (not ice mountain ;) ). Today i checked spark plug, it was dirty but after cleaning it produces strong sparks. I turn round crankshaft couple of times and piston was not moving (i thing it should), i saw only one valve going up and down, i was unable to see other one cause spark plug hole is too small. When I try to start gas is going out from carburetor ( there is no air filter ?!?!?!) Please help me to identify Ariens model cause rear sticker is damaged.

Here's what I was able to read:
-engine Tecumseh
model # H70-130210D
ser 8305C
-front sticker
model# 7-10-m
serial# 26156
-rear sticker
model# 10M ?????
serial# 15192 

photos  Here

Sorry for my poor english and thanks for any help.

This message was modified Jan 31, 2010 by bajdon

Kind Regards
Replies: 17 - 26 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
bajdon

Re: Ariens Snow Thro - please help identyfing and repair
Reply #17   Feb 5, 2010 8:56 am
I cleaned almost all snowblower, for carb parts I will have ultrasonic cleaner . Now just have to wait long time for parts :(

Kind Regards
borat

Reply #18   Feb 5, 2010 9:40 am
Put a couple drops of light oil into the piece of felt that rubs against the cam lobe. It lubricates the cam surface/points actuator.
trouts2

Reply #19   Feb 5, 2010 6:23 pm
Borat - how can you tell from the photo the points are not pitted or weld distorted without seeing their surface?
friiy

Reply #20   Feb 6, 2010 6:31 am
         Well,  it was running when it blew up,   and lawnmower points only run one spark plug/ one cylinder....  Automotive points run 4, 6 or 8 cylinders (plugs on one set of contacts )-and run all the time..... Not just a hour here and there like yard stuff.    They get a lot less wear,  and when they fail,  they don't run (no room for misfire on a single cylinder)

Friiy

trouts2

Reply #21   Feb 6, 2010 8:07 am

The points were working, OK.  When they fail they generally fail for good, OK.  What does that have to do with looking at points from the side side, not being able to see their surface and determining they “have a lot of life left in them”?  

Points can operate fine while degrading.  They can run while slowly degrading from pitting, welding and carbon.  That the engine was running is no indicator of the condition of the points or future life.

Changing under the flywheel points on an older Tecumseh engine is not like poping off the exposed distributor cap on a car engine.  On his old H70 the points are under the flywheel and head bolts have to be undone to get the cowling off along with the gas line.  Flywheels usually are stuck on pretty well and can be a pain to get off.  If the points were pitted or worn and working I’d change them along with the condenser to avoid going in there later but I would not know that unless their surface could be seen.

borat

Reply #22   Feb 6, 2010 10:20 am
Friiy: Thank you for providing a good common sense reply on my behalf to Mr. Trouts query. Trouts: It would appear that you are trolling for another pi$$ing match. Not interested thank you.
mkd55

Reply #23   Feb 6, 2010 12:16 pm
Friiy: Thank you for providing a good common sense reply on my behalf to Mr. Trouts query. Trouts: It would appear that you are trolling for another pi$$ing match. Not interested!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This message was modified Feb 6, 2010 by mkd55
trouts2

Reply #24   Feb 6, 2010 1:17 pm

Maybe you guys are not familiar with that H70 and how old it is.  It’s typical to open those up and find pitted points even though they are working.  It would be numb to not swap them out while your in there.  Also the condenser.

Don’t understand why asking how you can say the points are in ok condition without looking at their surface. Asking how you know that is not a troll post.  I’ve opened up plenty of them and can’t tell and that’s with being there not a picture which does not show their surface.  ??
borat

Reply #25   Feb 6, 2010 3:17 pm
Serviceman: "Yes I changed the oil and spark plug, lubed everything up, and inspected the belts like you had requested. One quart of oil at $10.00, one spark plug at $8.00, and both belts needed replacement, they're $30.00 each, labour was 1.5 hours for that at $80.00./hr. is $120.00. Considering the age of your machine, I thought it best to check the points and condenser. They looked alright but considering I had the machine in the shop, I thought it would be best to change them. Let's see now..., yeah...., parts came to $19.95 and the labour was,.....ah yeah,,,....2 hrs. labour is $160.00, plus shop fee of $8.00. So, your oil change and tune up comes a grand total of only $385.95 plus taxes......" Some habits are hard to break......
trouts2

Reply #26   Feb 6, 2010 5:56 pm
The situation here is the guy has opened up his machine and taken off the stator. It would be remiss to not change the condenser and unless they looked almost new the points also. He’s doing his own work and the cost trivial. Service guys don’t nilly-willy check under the flywheel points. I have never read or heard of that as a check during service, never. What’s with the fantasy? This week I changed out the condenser and points on three old H70’s. All were running before disassembly that was done because of broken rods. It would have been numb not to change them out as they were right there and the cost so inexpensive. All were worn and partly pitted as is the case with everyone I’ve ever opened except one which had almost new points. I check them by looking.
Replies: 17 - 26 of 34Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42