Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
gsnow

Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Original Message   Aug 31, 2009 12:08 am
Hello,

I have a driveway 40ft X 25ft + 60ft sidewalk, and get quite a lot of snow.

I wanted to get the 24" deluxe (for space) but found it hard to maneuver with both wheels locked, not bad with one wheel unlocked.

I was thinking of moving up to the 27" deluxe (larger than I need) which has the trigger for wheel locking for an extra $130.

My local dealer suggests I upgrade to the 24 DLE  with the automatic traction control, light, handwarmer for $ 464 more than the 24 deluxe.

For a little more I can get a Toro 828 XLE which has the power steering (also larger than I need).

Craftman has a 24" 249cc B+S power steeriing $ 1,000 - same features as the 24" DLE , but not sure about quality.

The locan dealer also suggest Simplicity 9hp 24" ST 2718 ?? for $ 1200. Lighter than the Ariens (not sure if it has traction control.

Can someone please advise which one is best bang for buck.

Snowman, you are the Ariens pro, is the 24 DLE worth that much more than the 24 deluxe or the 27 deluxe? Will Ariens have a sale

In Sept. or October that the Dealers will pass on to customers? I read that some Ariens had problems with the Friction Disk and Baffle plates

has to be installed, and chute control cable freezing. Have these issues been fixed in the 2009 units?

Thanks you all.

gsnow

Replies: 33 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Re: Ariens 24" Deluxe, 27" deluxe and 924 DLE, Toro 828XLE, SimplicityST2718
Reply #33   Feb 2, 2010 11:21 am
SnowRemover wrote:
I totally forgot about the lack of a shearpin - what a great feature (or non feature). I'm not sure if its patented by Toro, but I would strongly argue that if you work for a shearpin manufacturer, you better start looking for another job.

RuhiA wrote:
Just joined to add my two cents worth... Great forum.<BR><BR>Toro 828OXE DOES have shear-pins, one on each side. You can see on the picture here as well;

Hate to come late to the party, but just in case someone is reading this forum I'd like to restate that the OP is looking at the Toro 828XLE which does NOT have shearpins. At least twice a year my neighbors will be at the bottom of their driveway (where the plow seems to drop off large boulders that have come from another town) and back in the garage to get another shearpin. They stock up on them now.

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
aa335

Reply #34   Feb 2, 2010 3:40 pm
SnowRemover wrote:
Hate to come late to the party, but just in case someone is reading this forum I'd like to restate that the OP is looking at the Toro 828XLE which does NOT have shearpins. At least twice a year my neighbors will be at the bottom of their driveway (where the plow seems to drop off large boulders that have come from another town) and back in the garage to get another shearpin. They stock up on them now.

I'm late to the party too and still hung over from the last party so bear with me.

I'm unclear what you want to say.  Are you advocating looking for snowblowers with or without shear pins?
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Reply #35   Feb 2, 2010 6:34 pm
aa335 wrote:
I'm late to the party too and still hung over from the last party so bear with me.

I'm unclear what you want to say.  Are you advocating looking for snowblowers with or without shear pins?

Did you not read  SNOWREMOVER  signature,
It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche

aa335

Reply #36   Feb 2, 2010 11:49 pm
hirschallan wrote:
Did you not read  SNOWREMOVER  signature,
--Friedrich Nietzsche

Now it makes perfect sense. 
Replies: 33 - 36 of 36Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42